Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windbreak design?

Options
  • 11-02-2022 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience please? I want to protect a greenhouse. I am thinking in terms of dropping 100mph gusts by 50%

I thought a fence of 2X2 timber a couple of meters apart. The top at three meters with one meter buried in cement laid in sandy soil. I would probably stick some supports on the leeward side to raise the fulcrum a bit and reduce the strain on the buried portion.

I have not done the maths, I am not a joiner by any means, but it seems about right.

Any input would be appreciated along with maybe supplier suggestions for the wood in Kerry. Unlike the UK, I don't seem to have the luxury of just getting a price from a website.

Thanks for reading

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

3m height will give some protection up to 25 or 30m on the leeward side. Ideally windbreaks should be semi-permeable, ideally filtering 50-60 percent of the wind to reduce its strength. Solid barriers are often unsuitable as they can lead to damaging eddies of wind on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

If you have the space you could build something at a slope/angle on the windward side of the greenhouse to deflect the wind up and over rather than trying to stop it and send it straight up and over . It wouldn't need as much strength

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why not plant some willow.

I have 2 x 30m hedges on each side of my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thanks, as I pointed out though I intend to use 50% mesh.

A solid barrier would be totally impractical anyway.

SK

I have Olearia planted, it's one of the few things that grow here.

Alas the greenhouse will come next month and the Olearia has acheived 1m in over a year.

I do have some 2.5 m Olearia on the house side of the intended site, so this will not be included in the artificial windbreak construction. I am hoping that the rest of the year will be fairly benign weather wise thus allowing a but more growth before the usual winter typhoons :-(

I have had a couple of Olearia in the front uprooted by wind before now :-(

In fact I had the entire back gardens olearia's devastated one year. Untouched for decades, they grew wild until one year about half were flattened.

I bought a couple of chainsaws and was kept in wood for the stove for a couple of years when it dried.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but I am at a loss to think of anything that would slot in to perform the task. The wind can be from any direction also.

I always look to see what others do to solve the problem and one local has a polytunnel with netting holding it securely, surrounded by a windbreak on posts.

Frankly it's a shade worrying as the polytunnel is in the village with some protection from the worst of the weather anyway. I am not in the village, I am far more exposed.

SK

Advertisement