Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo River cruising.

Options
  • 11-02-2022 6:38pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

It's been many years since I last cruised on the Shannon and am looking to do it again - this time solo!

What do regular boaters think? Am I mad?

How difficult is it to handle a 30' cruiser single handedly, especially at locks and when berthing?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

30 foot boat should be no problem to you I boat on my own as do a lot of my friends, lock keepers are a helpful bunch along with other boaters on the waterways. It might be worth joining some of the Facebook groups like https://www.facebook.com/groups/719948718859357 and https://www.facebook.com/groups/717182844986491 these are great for info on the waterways and if you post where you are going they will keep an eye out for you, some of the groups run boat handling courses that might help. If you haven't bought a boat yet maybe look for a twin engine or one with a bow thruster also make sure you have somewhere to moor your boat before you buy one.

Happy boating 🛥️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I agree with fb's remarks.

I'd prefer a thruster to twin engine it makes docking easier without the complication of two engines plus a single engine is best for shallow water.

You need a mooring rope at each corner and a short one at each side amidships. This is so when you go on deck there will always be a rope handy even if things go wrong. When you go alongside a jetty you can often get ashore with the centre rope and secure it and then tend to your fore and aft mooring warps. Also a boat hook on each side can be very handy. Lot's of fenders reduce the chance of doing damage.

If you haven't got a boat yet easy access from the helm to both side decks is useful.

When you get going head to a quiet harbour to do a bit of practice. Look for somewhere that is less influenced by wind or current.

Maybe go to the lakes to get some experience before doing locks.

On Derg, Scarriff and Connacht Harbour (above Portumna Bridge) are well sheltered. On Ree, Lecarrow and Ballyleague Stone Harbour (above Lanesborough Bridge) are good spots.

When you do go for a single handed lock passage for the first time consider mooring up directly outside the lock overnight so you will be first in in the morning.

As fb says the lock keepers are very helpful.

A reccy trip by car will be useful too.

All the best.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a sticky with the lock keepers numbers on the main page, always handy to give them a call before you make your trip and let them know you might need a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

If you haven’t bought a boat yet you should look at the layout and design of boat to ensure easy access when mooring. I knew a guy who singlehanded a Broom 30 Skipper and it was an ideal boat for it with its side doors. He would bring the ropes in the side doors so he could easily moor. A bow thruster is a good idea too but they are often on bigger boats. You can also get remote controls for them and it is great when singlehanded. I regularly singlehand my 37ft boat and the remote control is a great help.

Advertisement