Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once and for all: Repair, replacement or refund

Options
  • 12-02-2022 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hello,

What is the definitive on this according to Irish law?

Example: I purchase a piece of furnitutre with 5 year guarantee.

After 1 year, problem occurs, I tell the manufacturer and they tell me they will try to repair it.

Do I have to accept the repair as the first act or can I request a refund for a faulty item?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The simple word "Reasonableness" comes into play.

If you bought a car with 7 year warranty and the wiper fails after a year, is it reasonable to ask for a full refund? No

If a piece of furniture develops a fault that can easily be fixed and the item can still be used as intended, it is reasonable for a repair to be carried out? YES

Post edited by silver2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Edit. Sorry Silver, I’d delete this post altogether only for this **** new site won’t let me.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Whoops. Brain fog. That was meant to say 'NO'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You can indeed push for a refund but the only way you can force the issue is via the small claims court and there's no guarantee you'll get the outcome you desire based on the fact that the retailer already made the reasonable offer of a repair. You'll have to explain why you rejected this and make it a convincing argument.

Also just to note, your mention of a 5 year guarantee is irrelevant to any consumer issue conversation. If you're claiming under their guarantee, you're subject to the terms of that guarantee. Consumer issues are completely separate.

Advertisement