Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ P-09 (.22 pistol)

Options
  • 12-02-2022 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is anyone here using one of these, and if so, could I ask what experience has been like, please?

I'm thinking about moving on from my current pistol, and recently spotted one of these in a shop.

I'd ideally like to get a few opinions on them, before going back for a closer look at it.

Many thanks,

Thanks,

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Pure junk...hard to believe that cz make such good rifles and crappy 22 pistols

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭garrettod

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit surpsed, as you'd expect a decent product from CZ, as you've alluded to, yourself.

One response, in a week, says a lot.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,you don't say what your currently using?

But in my limited experience on different pistols - shooting a few and only own a couple.

If you are looking to shoot accurately (which most woul want as a given :-) then there are really only a few that will do this.

MY LIST (and this is my opinion not a consensus from others :-) ) - in no particularly order

Hammerli Xesse (IPSC if possible due to LPA rear sights etc.)

Ruger Mk IV (also the I, II, and IIV - but i have only shot the IV - which i own)

The S&W model 41 (cream of the cream - but a lot of people say the Xesse is just as good for lot less money!) the original one, not so much the "New" version.

The Sig 226 (with .22 conversion slide) - very nice fire arm, expensive though.

Browning Buckmark. (seen in action - but i have not fired it) looks to do the job though

I previously had myself a GSG 1911 - i absolutely loved it - but not very accurate (due to the way the barrel is fitted).

There are likely other .22 pistols out there - but they would not be as accurate as the above list.

This is my tuppence worth list - others will likely have others to add.

I prefer to buy new, but take advice from fellow shooters in the club on the particular one you are looking to buy second hand (on how it was maybe handles and treated previously - you don't want to purchase something that has been disassembled and "played with" to make it more accurate - unless its drop in parts like for the Ruger Mk IV etc. (i'm not talking about stripping for cleaning).

Hope this helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I'd say the poor response is most likely because there aren't many of them out there so most people won't be able to give you an informed view. I've shot most pistols but don't think I've even seen one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamB2711

I have a P-07 and have shot a P-09 they are great guns trigger pull is a little long but you get use to it or you can upgrade it. Accurate gun no complaints would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Think Battlecorp summed it up nicely. Never seen one in the flesh and @dc99 gave a list of some of the popular and common pstols. There might be a few others such as Walther, Fernwerkbau, Tanfoglio, and even Sig Mosquitos (not actually a SIG iirc) were also bought but I've never even seen a CZ pistol on any firing line.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I have shot one, a nice wee plinker / fun gun. I wouldn't buy one to shoot competitions with.

Thanks folks,

I'm considering something that I would enjoy, but it needs to be reliable, and fairly accurate too.

I'm not looking to shine at a competition (if I did, I'd probably go for the Hammerli, or a MarkIV), but I'd want to be on the paper, needles to say. Can this pistol do that, at say 25m?

The CZ seems decent value at the €750 - €800 mark, while I was also taking a degree of comfort from the CZ name, well, until I saw the post from Liffey Fishing, above.

I previously considered a Sig P226 (.22), but I went a little cold on it, given there didn't seem to be many of them in Ireland, and it was looking like a €1350-€1,400 spend. I then found myself wondering if I'd have trouble, if I ever needed spares in a hurry etc. Obviously, one of the main attractions was the ability to convert the P226 to a higher calibre, but the reality is that I'll probably never get that option, living in Ireland.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

If you want something practical and aren't set on an exposed hammer then have a look at the Walther PPQ in 22lr(not the P22).

It isn't a same hole gun by any means(and not intended to be) but it is plenty accurate for range time here(25-50m) and you could do a lot worse for the money.

Often about ~700 here, or 400-550 from Germany depending on the retailer.

There is a 5" barreled "target" model, and the 4" normal one, which ever strikes your fancy.

Both come with adjustable sights, and the target one has a front fiber optic sight.

Mine has been very reliable, and when it did develop a hairline crack in the frame(older generation, many rounds) I got a replacement from Walther free of charge through the retailer in Germany(Triebel)!

After having it for around 2 years I was extremely happy with that customer service.

Alternatively if you wanted something with an exposed hammer and "convertible" as it were to CF if you ever got the chance, have you considered the CZ75 22lr conversion kit if you could source a CZ75 lower receiver(plenty around in storage in the country, and available in NI).

That'd allow conversion, and is a very good kit in itself(all steel, adjustable rear sight, fullsize mag, etc). To be clear here I am talking about the kits like this, with the sectioned slide which only part of it moves:

No idea about the more recent conversion kits but I suspect they are similar to the P-09 as above.

As a final point and still going on the exposed hammer, have you thought about a 1911 lower(steel, Norinco are bloody cheap) and a gsg 22 upper conversion kit?

Both are relatively easily sourced, would be convertible, and the GSG 22 has about the best aftermarket support a pistol has close to us as it is very popular in the UK for their long barreled pistol practical shooting.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭clivej

I have owned and shot them all. Best was the Fernwerkbau AW 93, worst was the S&W 22A.

I'm now shooting a Grand Power XTrim K22. As good as any of the usual pistols and a lot better than most. It will shoot 40mm groups at 25m rested. Harbour Guns are the importers and they can be viewed each Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I think the Smith and Wesson 22A gets a lot of undeserved negative press. I've one and it's very reliable, easy to maintain and shoots pretty well. I also have a Feinwerkbau AW93 and they really are a class gun. I need to practice my mag change though. Not as easy as other pistols for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Never used a P09 but have used the P07 quite a lot.

I wouldn't rate it as a good pistol. Fair enough its going to go bang whenever you pull the trigger, but....

1. Couldn't adjust the elevation to bring point of impact down to point of aim.

2. Grouped 6 inches at best at 25 yards rested.

3. Awful trigger, heavy and rough.

Buckmarks and Ruger Mk series are better choices I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

Certainly don't agree with this statement:

Having shot both and have a lot of experience with a wide range of pistols, they are well manufactured and shoot as well as the person shooting them.

Like all factory .22 pistols they are a little heavy on the trigger, but you either get used to it or do something about it. Even our iconic Ruger .22 pistols need after market upgrades to make them into a precision target pistol.

At the end of the day the following hold true when making a decision to purchase a .22

1) Purpose

2) Fit

3) Availability

4) Price

5) Support and aftermarket parts

And of course at the end of the day, if you like the look of a particular style pistol then it is your choice

In fairness one mans "junk" is another mans prized possession.

PS happy to challenge Mr Liffey Fishing to a target shooting competition, I'll shoot a P-07 and you shoot what ever you like, maybe we can then see how a piece of junk shoots!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

I'd strongly disagree, that's like saying all Glocks are junk. It's up to the shooter to make the pistol work. Some shooters just want to buy pricey guns over putting the time in at the range. My two cents, I own a P09 and I've had zero problems with it. The gun itself comes with extra springs and back-straps, so it can be fitted. It's a full size pistol that amounts to training and familiarity for full-bore transition. There's two camps of 22lr pistol shooters, those who want purely target style pistols and those who want a variant of the full-bore. The Walter would also be a good choice as the sights are a little better. But over all its solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hollow point

I am about to buy my first pistol and could certainly do with some advice.I have been looking at the CZ P09 and a Sig P226 but have been told that the slide doesn't stay locked back on the SIG after the last round is fired and I was wondering if this could be modified so that it would,also if anyone could tell me if the P09 would be a good buy as a first pistol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

If you are looking at the P09 you'll find a lot of opinions on this thread about them, good, bad and indifferent.

On the 226 if there is no last round hold open I'd leave it and get a different gun. No hold open doesn't sound too bad but in practice it is very annoying and will lead to damage as you fire the gun with no chambered round resulting in the firing pin hitting the chamber face where the round should be.

From a cursory Google there isn't a way to fix the 226 to have a last round hold open either. There is an extended follower you can get to prevent the slide closing on an empty mag but if you drop the mag the slide will still fall.

If you are really adamant about getting an exposed hammer gun look into the gsg 1911, cz75, beretta M9 in 22, etc.

Alternatively look at hammerless/concealed hammer pistols like the Walther ppq, glock 44, s&w m&p 22,etc

Theres a ton of options out there, some with their own issues but it really boils down to what you like the look of and what you want to use it for(ie precision accuracy or more practically useful).

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hollow point

Thank you for the reply otmmyboy2 I'm hopefully going to get a look at some other pistols at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

Any of the Ruger MK 1 to 4 are brilliant pistols. Easy get accessories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

"On the 226 if there is no last round hold open I'd leave it and get a different gun. No hold open doesn't sound too bad but in practice it is very annoying and will lead to damage as you fire the gun with no chambered round resulting in the firing pin hitting the chamber face where the round should be."

This is magazine dependent and the newer mags hold open after last round!

I'd imagine that a new P226 will cost you about €1,500 - at least that was the indicative price, when I considered getting one.

While I was drawn to them by the ability to change calibre (albeit not in this county), and the Navy Seals having selected them as their preferred pistol, years ago, I struggled to find people who owned them in Ireland, or even a dealer with any real knowledge on then. That, and the suggestion that they weren't particularly accurate, made me step back from buying one.

More recently, I held the CZ, liked it, thought the price was good (€750 - €850 new), but as you'll see, it's gotten some mixed reviews, on this thread. Again, that's put me off buying...

If I were you, selecting my first pistol, I'd go for either the Browning Buckmark, or the Ruger. Both are very popular, reasonably priced (€800 - €1,000 new) , available both new and secondhand in various Irish dealerships, and both are fairly easy to get spare parts for, if needed. The fact that both pistols are popular means you won't have to wait a long time to get one imported, and also, you'll be able to sell it fairly easily, if you want to trade up, in a few years time.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement