Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Dimmer Switch for more than 10 bulbs

Options
  • 13-02-2022 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I have a chandelier with 12 x SES 40w filament bulbs (well more like 6 or 7 these days) which is controlled by a 1-gang inductive dimmer and 2 other normal on/off switches.

I want to upgrade to LED and keep my dimmer. So I know I need an LED dimmer and I know that my LED dimmer needs to support the total LED wattage required by my 12 lamps plus plenty of contingency. But most if not all the LED dimmers on the market seem to have support for up 10 bulbs/lamps only.

So if this is a hard stop and I should not attempt to run my 12-bulb chandelier with a 10-bulb dimmer, can anybody recommend any product that might be suitable for my requirements?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Orson.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭10-10-20

From reading about this, it's the in-rush current which is the issue here. Problem being, some LED models will have high in-rush while others will be lower, it's hard to tell.

Was the chandelier wired with all 12 bulbs in parallel or were they split out into groups within the ceiling, and if so, is it an option to re-wire (I presume not!).

You could install an in-rush current limited to the circuit. It's usually an negative temperature (NTC) device which has a higher resistance when cold, and drops as the current builds up. That would slightly mess with the dimmer's ability to control the LED's at low brightness, but I think it's a worthwhile trade-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

Why don't you just find the wattage of each led bulb you are going to install, add them altogether and then get a dimmer switch that fits that wattage.

E.g. 10 bulbs at 8watts each = total load of 80 Watts.

Buy an led switch rated for max 100 Watts and away you go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You're missing the point. The in-rush current for >10 LED's is higher than the instantaneous capacity of the dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

I think if OP is only replacing bulbs for led ones then they should be fine. In rush current would only really be a problem with those old 24v led which need a driver to stay on steadily.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

You can purchase led dimmers not limited to 10 bulbs . I just fitted a ZANO branded led dimmer and its working 15 x 4w leds. It states on packaging it can work greater than 10 bulbs. I was trying to get it to light 16 but that was a bridge too far, so 1 conventional bulb and all the remaining 15 led (2 chandeliers with 8 bulbs on each). Seems to work perfectly, no flicker, no heat at switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Orson100

Hi All, many thanks for your responses, I didn't realise anybody had until I checked there now - I must have my email notifications disabled or something.

10-10-20, it's just your basic hanging chandelier with the feed running down to it from the ceiling, and it has 12 bulbs, obviously wired in parallel. So as installing a separate NTC device to the circuit is not something I would be comfortable with, I was looking for a switch that would 'look after' this and any other considerations for me. So this leads to Needles recommendation for that ZANO dimmer which I can see indeed explicitly states 'Not limited to 10 lamps' so I'll try get my hands on one of those (all variants showing out of stock at the moment on zanocontrols.co.uk).

Thanks again. Orson.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Orson100

@DullSpark just to acknowledge your 2nd response which I missed: I am also leaning towards the likelihood that fitting my 12 X LED bulbs instead of 10 LED bulbs using a half-decent LED dimmer such as the Varilight V-Pro (SKU 94816 Screwfix) would be perfectly fine and manufacturers are just giving themselves plenty of cover for the odd edge case where problems might arise. I have read on ledbulbs.ie for example that the V-Pro "can operate at least 1-20 good quality Dimmable LED's such as the eLight "Quattro" and "Trio" range. I have not considered to any great extent what qualifies as a good quality LED bulb and how much they cost, as yet but i see for example on screwfix.ie that you can get a 4-pack of SES 40w equivalent LEDs for less than 6 quid. Is it a truism to say that these would not qualify as high-quality? Would a 4-pack for a tenner be approaching the requisite quality or am I looking to a greater price again for my use case? If I could get my hands on a Zano dimmer with its explicit guarantee I guess I would have to worry less about bulb quality. And maybe I should look to do that despite the fact that it looks like I will have to import from UK with all the attendant hassle and increased cost.

Advertisement