Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any Gym exercise suggestions

• 13-02-2022 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

my story is that while Im about where I should be weight wise ( 6 ft 4 and tipping 14 stone but sometimes get up to near fifteen if i loose discipline re_ diet ) for aged forty four , I have a permanent foot problem however , due to negligence on the part of someone else , I injured my foot nearly four years ago and have chronic pain whereby im never without some discomfort and when i get flare ups , the pain is really really bad , i sometimes go six months without a flair up but when it arrives it can last for a month , as such I cannot lift anything heavy so lifting weights in a Gym is not an option as all weight goes down , I walk on average twenty five miles per week , bar during flair ups , I am able to walk at a fast pace but this is the only exercise I do and i think i need to improve my upper body strength

I was considering using a rowing machine as you are sitting down , any other suggestions to improve upper body strength which absolutely does not involve lifting weights ?

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Swimming, seated chest press machine, Ski Erg machine, Assaut airbike might be options to consider.

Nice work on the walking, that's great mileage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Plenty of closed chain exercise equipment should be ok to use?

Your feet will be just as involved in a rower as the would be on a shoulder press machine etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's only three miles half the days of the week and four the other half, probably achieves very little bar cardio health ?

Not saying cardio isn't important

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

When you say “all weight goes down”, I get what you’re saying, but out of curiosity have you tried things like -

leg extensions

leg curls

seated press

seated row

A lot of dumbbell and/or cable upper body movements could potentially be performed in such a way as to limit any leg drive / transfer to your feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you able to lift weight when you aren't in a flair up?

Walking/Rowing would be harder on the feet that a lot of weight lifting exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No, In fact , engaging in strenuous activity is what triggers many flare ups ( though some just arrive without any reason ) , I have to be vigilant when it comes to any sort of serious lifting

I can only speak for myself and chronic pain is different for every individual but walking does not trigger flare ups , lifting absolutely does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Every type of pull up or chin up be fine?

Advertisement