Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teach Local Car Mechanic

• 13-02-2022 1:35pm

Everyone makes mistakes. On this topic, please educate me👨‍🏫

Specially made discussion to get drama out from other posts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What's the aim of this thread?

Get the heat off from other threads and educate me. We all learn and the best part is to learn from the mistakes. May be somebody else learn too something ....

Not mistake related but genuine question seeing as you like the diy angle.

Ever done any work on plastic intake manifold vw/Audi.

I've a 1.8tfsi with faults relating to intake and engine light on. I gather it's typically wear within mechanism and angle sensor goes out of tolerance.

Replace the manifold is the fix but I'm sure it could be repaired and I wouldn't mind having a go.

This is correct, I like DIY. Before the expensive part replacement is reasonable to spend some time to try it to clean and figure out what is actually wrong. The real fault may be somewhere else and the new part does not solve it (or more dramatic - it can even destroy the new part). Give to me the engine ID and I try to find some information for you.

Well from my own reading, the plastic manifold is crap with spindle controlling intake flaps developing play and resulting in sensor reading errors. The control arm that moves spindle also comes apart. This has happened mine so I'm pretty sure a new intake is the cure or safely put the connection together again. After market are not too bad pricewise but Audi are charging in the high hundreds for the part.

Engine code 1.8 Tfsi code CABD.

• Advertisement

Here is wiring diagram. I did not seen there flap motor on wiring diagram, only valve. It is vacuum operated? I will check the mechanical side later

All about intake manifold flap

Thanks.

Ya it's air/vacuum controlled flap angle adjustment. The whole flap mechanics tend to wear and clog up. A arm is pulled on the right side of the unit turning the flaps. A sensor on the opposite end of the of the flap 'spindle' reads angle of movement. When angle of movement doesn't closely match requested, fault appears. No running issues at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Only just seen this thread, and from memory, there is a special kit available from a UK supplier that is added to the manifold (no change required to fit it, other than some dismantling, ) and it stops the relevant arm from overshooting and giving the error that you've mentioned. do a google search on x8R and VAG inlet manifold repair and you should find it. I've fitted at least 2 over the last while, and it solved the error message issue on both vehicles, it's an easy fit and a fraction of the price of a new manifold.

And no, other than as a satisfied customer, I have no links to X8R.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

All their kits appear to be for the diesel engines.

I have seen a cup type fitting for my one that does the same thing - keep the swivel from popping out.

Can easily make up something myself to replicate the cup type device.

• Advertisement
Advertisement