Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,018 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You can't be that obtuse that you don't understand that storms don't blink out like a ceiling light, yes?

There is a high liklihood of power outages in red warning areas, also road flooding and scattered debris. It would take the whole school day to do prudent checks of premises in any case.

School closures in red wind warning areas are correct, I'm less convinced about closures in orange snow locations, but where kids are concerned maybe it's better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

While I still despise the new boards, it's nice to see that the weather forum still descends into chaos whenever bad weather comes about.

I'm very torn on this event, I'll either be in Clare or Galway, and I hope I either have a good storm or some snowfall! Having neither would be an awful disappointment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Buses cancelled tomorrow morning in Cork & Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well the schools open at 9, so people need to get to the schools and see if any damage, can that be all done in 30 mins considering warning is till 8am?

Also not opening at the last min causes more issues for parents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

A whole day to check the roof hasn't blown off?

I dunno anymore tbh, the plot has been lost in this country recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You are correct on both statements.

The question mark is superfluous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are we calling this calm before the storm the "cuineas before Eunice"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

With that wind map i assume the different colours are gusts in km/h?

I have an app called windy on my phone, is that reasonably accurate and updated? Is there a better place to have a look before bed time / in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Looks like the uk is, getting hammered tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Storm Dudley hit Krakow today (nearest city to where I live now) this is what happened to a crane in the city. Too me it looks like more of a tornado than strom winds. 2 people confirmed dead, 4 serious in hospital. We were under a orange RCB alert

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭straight

I guess people are so thick now they have to be protected from their own stupidity. I'll be out working in it myself anyway one way or the other. Job less to have to drop the children to school in the morning. They'll learn more at home anyway.

Why are you being so black and white?

A hundred different things could happen or need checking in every different school in the warning zone, and the issue of power outages could knock out whole towns while being entirely unpredictable. It's bad luck that the worst of the storm will blow out during what would be the early part of the school day, but keeping the schools off is just prudent while any clean up and power reconnection are attended to. Nobody has a crystal ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Are storms becoming worse / more frequent? In 18 years at school we didn't have a single day off for weather and that was the 90s/00s, not decades ago.

A precedent has been set now and we'll never get out of it. Emma was justified, the rest haven't been bar a few isolated areas.

Just seems mad really is all, not sure we're doing kids educations any favours with things like this and how covid has been handled in schools and creches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

As someone who went to school in the same period, we had loads of storm, snow, flood days 🤷‍♂️ and everything would have been much more country wide back then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I remember back 30 years ago going to school in dangerously weather conditions ,no heed by lads to weather conditions back then but one morning a class mate got killed while walking to school when a car skidded and killed her .

Its all well and good to be able to call the on coming storm as not being a red warning for cork and kerry but who is liable if a kid got injured due to wather conditions in a red warning .Schools have been open since last Janurary when alot of other business closed ,so I dont get yoiur point about the way schools handled covid

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Horrific story.

I went to school in 70s/80s and I remember being off school for 3 weeks in 1982. It was heaven for us but I'd say the mothers sanity was wearing thin during it. Living in Wicklow hills meant lots of snow days as buses were always loathe to take the risk. Now I'm parenting in same area I can understand and will live with it. Judging on how some of my fellas play football I can assure you they aren't over protected snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Daft people in this thread. It only takes one tree falling on a school bus for an avoidable tragedy to occur. So kids miss a day of school, big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

An Orange Snow warning is much different in a rural location that it is in an urban environment. Try driving in the country side on untreated roads after even a couple CM of snow. That's why the schools are closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Are storms becoming worse / more frequent? 

Yes and they will continue to get more powerful and frequent as temperatures rise this century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So all of Connacht getting snow except Galway ? Say it ain't so..

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm looking forward to this storm will keep my mind off having covid 😔

Don't worry lad, none of the rest of Connacht is getting snow either, except maybe a few mountain tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭straight

People in this country can't even drive in the rain not to mind drive in snow. Frost is actually the most dangerous. Bit of snow would be nice now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Daily Mail screams

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Has the forecast lessened/gotten worse since this morning?

Hoping the power doesn't go at home in Waterville, as I'm not around tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Answer the big question

Are you Team Wind or Team Snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

That happened to our school bus back around 02-03 (can't remember exact time as I was 13). It was really stormy and a big tree branch fell on top of the bus denting the top of it, frightened the absolute shite out of all of us and amazing that no one got seriously hurt when the driver slammed on the brakes in a crowded bus. We were stuck there for about 2 hours, as a young lad it was great because I got away with not doing homework for the first few classes of the day. Would probably have been an orange weather warning now with the new system

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The wind potential well covered in the thread - on the snow potential...

I'll be updating later but currently overnight (and away from immediate windward coasts) - Donegal, Sligo, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Derry, Mayo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Galway, Clare, Cavan, Monaghan, (Wicklow - above 350 mtrs) for in excess of 3 - 5cm potential, anything up to 12cm locally in favoured spots (this more so in the northwest).

Tomorrow morning snowfall belatedly crawling east so extends the risk of a dusting or couple of cm in to Limerick, Tipperary, West Meath, Offaly, Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois, North Cork first thing tomorrow morning moving erratically across to Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and Dublin (it may be sleet and rain by the time it gets to lower elevations around Kildare, Meath, Dublin).

A peppering of hit and miss sleety snow showers follows on for the afternoon for most areas. Some heavy.

Situation in relation to predicting snowfall from this system remains tricky even now. Like I say i'll update later when the models are finished this evening.

One thing is for sure settling snow unlikely to last long at low levels once precipitation clears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clare and Waterford has now been added to the red warning

Status Red - Wind warning for Cork, Kerry and Clare.

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Storm Eunice will track quickly over Ireland tonight and Friday morning bringing severe and damaging winds. Southwest winds veering northwest will reach mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with gusts in excess of 130 km/h. Some coastal flooding, especially at high tide.
    • Valid: 03:00 Friday 18/02/2022 to 08:00 Friday 18/02/2022
    • Issued: 16:34 Thursday 17/02/2022

Advertisement