Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failure at 3 Months Probation.

Options
  • 14-02-2022 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Where I currently work, I was told by my manager that my work to date was 'unsatisfactory' at my 3 month probation meeting.

I felt I was treated unfairly!

My colleagues were shocked!

I have 2 others over the course of the year.

How worried would you be if it was said to you re yourself.

Should I actually go now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Worried.

What rationale was given?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would start looking around and try to jump before I was pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭Xander10

hang in there but look out for another job in the meantime. Some Managers get stuck with an opinion (right or wrong) about someone and it might just linger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Questions for yourself (as in you don't need to answer them here)

Was there any indication prior to the meeting that your work was unsatisfactory?...where you making same mistakes over and over again, missing deadlines, being late etc?

Did they give you a set plan to improve? Offer further training? Etc.

Did they give clear examples of where you are failing?

Some managers are d1cks and do this type of thing as a power play "to show who's boss" . Or it could be that yes the role is not suited for you.

Either way unless it's a niche business with not many other external opportunities I'd be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is your work unsatisfactory?

What did you think is unfair?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's always upsetting to be told that you are not up to scratch, especially if you were under the impression that you were doing OK. A couple of things I'm unclear about:

• How long is the probationary period?
    • Is this your first feedback from you manager?
    • Were you given specific examples of where you fell down?
    • And what do you mean by: 'I have 2 others over the course of the year.'

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

If you haven't been told where you are going wrong e.g. attendance, quality/quantity of work etc. ask to be told exactly where you aren't meeting standards.

Once you know where you aren't meeting the expected standards, then you know where to focus your attention.

I wouldn't quit. If you like it there, then pull your socks up and make an increased effort. If you are already working your socks off, seek a further meeting with your manager to set goals etc.

Advertisement