Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longcase clock restoration

• 14-02-2022 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Some years ago, I was given a clock rescued from a skip; it was being thrown out of a house during restoration & my friend recognised the clock had been made in Dublin & did not want to see it go to waste.

It was beyond his capabilities and asked if I would be interested. Tall order, as the clock was badly damaged with many parts missing. Most, but not all, of the motion was present, so with considerable work it was possible to get the clock running again.

A long restoration of the case followed with salvaged mahogany from an old piano being used to make up the missing elements. Perhaps what is not well know is that these clocks are mainly mahogany veneer over a cheaper wood substrate. Even the "chunkier" profiled elements are not solid mahogany - these are maximum 1/2" thick mahogany glued to base wood and angled to maximise the effect. However once complete, the effect is of solid wood, and the clock appears to be fabricated totally from mahogany.

Clock was originally built by McMasters on Grafton St, and through research, it can be dated to pre 1825 making this one c. 200 years old.

Great sense of satisfaction bringing this one back to life.

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

My compliments on a restoration well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Beautiful job, great to see a bit of our history rescued like that!

Advertisement