Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im going to state the obvious here, but i presume we are all aware why 1 or 2% a few years ago isnt the same as them offering 1 or 2% percent today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,683 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I actually bought a manual petrol car last month 😂 Damn, I'll get me coat before I'm banned from this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nothing wrong with that, if it is fit for purpose. At least it wasn't diesel.

Might be wise to keep it hush though..😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,683 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's mostly an insurance thing. We only need 1 car 99% of the time, but for that exception it is really frustrating not to have a car at hand. We have the Renault Fluence Z.E. but I can't drive it on my main family car insurance (it's a liberty insurance thing - pain in the neck, but they were by far the best quote I got for the Model S), so I put it up for sale.

So I am back to a strictly mileage limited classic car, on classic insurance: a 2003 MINI Cooper S 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I had one of those once upon a time. The exhaust fell off on my way to view our first house. The bolts severed and apparently the only way to replace them was to take the entire back half of the car apart and access through the boot as welding new ones on wasn't an option with the fuel tank. The R53 sure is a quirky car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

To hell with the begruders, just get out onto a decent back road and enjoy the nvh and the exertion assoc with having to manually change gear. You'll probably be shattered but it'll be worth it 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

They did this at the start of 2023 and had to roll back on values in March and issuing credits on payrolls in March. Bascially reps / service guys started returning company cars and buying their own and doing the mileage / expenses option as the jumps were excessive. It was a disaster, we would betop tier mileage and saw BIK bills go up €300 per month on standard Skoda Superbs

I would aggree on doing something more progressive for company EV's but the charging network isn't there yet then factor in the charging costs on the road and the time lost and it becomes a difficult sell. I know two guys swicthing back, one ID3 to diesel and one Tesla M3 to PHEV as his employer is on a carbon neutral angle otherwise they would have gone diesel also as it's possible to claim the vat back on diesel.

We are just postpoing changing cars in the hope something changes as in better range or better charging infrastructure. I can't see the range really jumping as for many people 300/400kms is plenty. I think we could manage that with some planning but too many of our customers are too far off the motorway network so it becomes too unpredicatable.

Fingers crossed that the charging situation steps up as with the increase in EV sales I think teh current network will be under more pressure in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If you're unhappy with that then you bought the wrong car. Other cars will do that journey with excess to spare and cost less than the ID3. The Hyundai Kona and the MG4 spring to mind.

People need to be a little more sensible when buying what is likely their second biggest expenditure and do their own research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Too late for that advice now, but if he came here last year asking about an ID3 for that particular run, it would be the greatest car on earth, no problems what so ever, maybe in winter you have to slow down, worse case is a 10 minute stop any way you need it for a pee or stretch your legs.

Its all great until you complain then its wrong car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Where did I say I was unhappy with the car? I knew when I bought the car I wouldn't get the WLTP range or close.

There was no MG4 when I purchased and an electric Kona definitely did not cost less than an ID.3 in 2020, obviously with VW price increases this isn't the case now.

The more choice the better but at that time the choices were limited and still are for people who don't want an SUV/CUV type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If, I said if.

That other person driving the ID.3 definitely bought the wrong car.

if they had gotten that advice last year would it have been wrong?

id assume in the summer it would just about make it, in colder weather it wouldnt without a charge.

Thanks for that very interesting and informative view from someone in the business who is far more aware of the unintended consequences of decisions than a keyboard warrior like myself. I agree with you that something more progressive needs to be done to encourage businesses to transition away from diesel. It just seems to always be the private motorist that is hit with such penalties with VRT, Nox, fuel duties, road tax all of which has to be paid from after tax income. As you say driving diesel is still too lucrative for many businesses to consider switching to alternatives. There are 2 policy levers available to encourage this transition, and its possible the carrot alone may not be sufficient in the short to medium term.

Of course if the Govt had got the finger out and invested more heavily in the public charging infrastructure, then the need to utilise the stick might be largely unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

When I bought my ID.3 1st the list price incl delivery (Was there a delivery charge?) was just over 33K, with further incentives of about €1.5K (Free Ionity, charger/service pack). Kona iirc was about €40K incl delivery at the time. Preferred the ID.3 as a drivers car, was also roomier.

Range for me was never less than 300km, but didn't do a huge amount of motorways. Biggest killer was the aggressive battery heating (Less than 8c ambient I think) but this has been addressed since.

Again wouldn't be a big problem with a decent public charging network. There would then be no need to spend €`000s extra to buy a bigger battery car to avoid a 10 min charge, especially if you have home charging for the rest of your charging needs.

no exactly, for most people when you you look at actual driving patterns the extra cost of a bigger battery is a lot of money for very little actual inconvenience. Of course more power is another reason if you are that way inclined. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

I think they kept the rates and bands but discounted the car values by 10k to offset some of the increases, they still went up though. It wasn't a well thought out plan.

Businesses will jump if it makes sense. I've run the numbers on LR M3 v's Skoda Superb diesel and the net per month cost is close but the on road charging costs might make the EV a tiny bit more expensive. If the vat could be claimed on an EV like a van then it would swing the numbers hugely in favour of the EV. There also needs to be an approved expenses / allowance plan with revenue for cover the home charging costs for the employee as that comes up in the discussion. All that could be managed but the charging availability is still an issue.

The funny thing is that when we visit sites we see EV charging for the staff whom should easily be able to commute to and from work by charging at home and yet they have none for visitors, service techs etc that could be travelling over and back accross the country and even staying away a few nights on the road. I'm not saying its the customer in this case that should be provding a charging option but the state really should really start upping the charging infrastructure.

I think they did say something about introducing some sort of grant scheeme for sport clubs to install chargers recently. That does not make sense to me. Many GAA, soccer clubs etc wouldn't even have the cabling to handle big power loads. Targetting hotels, pub carparks where you can stop eat and get wifi, corners of big retail parks etc would make more sense and they would be more accesible also. Done right it might help revitalise some of towns in the countryside that would appreciate the business as people just whizz through them now to the nearest big services or garage.

With some proper planning I am sure there are ecconomic benefits to many rural towns and villages by having nice clean high speed EV charging parking spaces. I really thing of it being a case of "if you build it they will come."

Lots to think about, not sure if anyone in positions of influence are chewing the fat on these matters. Much easier to tinker with the grant to be seen to be doing something and hope the market will resolve the matter over next few years.

On work charging, IMO it makes no sense for employers to be providing free charging anymore. In the early days a couple of chargers met the needs of the small number of employees with EVs, I benefited from it myself. However, as the number of EVs increase, free charging is just another source of dissent among employees as to who can get access to this lucrative freebie. The guy(s) first in catches the worm(s) and eveyone can swing even if they need to range to get home. Better off charging a rate in excess of normal domestic rate so chargers are available for those who need them, be they employees or visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭innrain

This weekend I'm driving a rental diesel Kodiaq 7 seater. 2l, 150hp. Quite a nice car but coming from an EV I definitely feel the lag in acceleration. The drone is there especially on the windy roads of Kerry. The wireless Android Auto killed my phone just when approaching Kenmare, although the phone was placed on the wireless charger. Model Y feels bigger and more spacious. Even without the last two seats up the Kodiaq boot is smaller. Looking at configurator it starts at at 48k, it's only advantage being the 3rd row of seats. I was not able to set the ACC by pressing the obvious buttons. Must read the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Once you have home charging, you will regret you had not bought an EV, given that your daily mileage does not exceed your EV range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Your house not connected to the grid?

Advertisement