Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotunda / Coombe - Private - Recent opinions

Options
  • 14-02-2022 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just found out I'm pregnant (4.5 weeks so very early days) but trying to have my thoughts together on what hospital/consultant for when I meet my GP next week. This is my first time being pregnant so I am fairly clueless :P

I know there have been a lot of threads over time re choosing a maternity hospital but I'm hoping to get some feedback from you on recent experiences going private in either the Rotunda or the Coombe, and consultant recommendations if possible. How did you find the care overall? Waiting times? Private Room availability (I'm aware this totally depends on the day) and any other bits of information you could share would be much appreciated.

I'm also interested in what the care in both is like at the moment in terms of covid restrictions.

Thanks in advance! :-)

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hi there,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm currently expecting baby number 2 and have gone private in the Rotunda with Dr Jennifer Donnelly for both pregnancies. She is absolutely fantastic and a lovely doctor.

I have only had positives experiences throughout both pregnancies and have been very well looked after. The continuity of care really appealed to me. Waiting times vary, consultant could be attending a birth etc, but overall I'd say an hour is the longest I've waited.

I had my son in 2019 and got a private room no problem. I'm not sure what availability is like now due to Covid. A friend attended the Coombe last year and private rooms were being kept for Covid positive patients but I'm not sure if that is still the case. Restrictions wise, they change a lot, but so far my husband has attended an early scan, 12 week and will attend the 20 week scan. They update their website with restrictions aswell.

Best of luck with your decision. Just be sure to check with your health insurance provider if you are covered for private care and if whichever consultant you choose is on their register aswell 🙂

ETA- You can self register for the Rotunda on their website so don't worry if you haven't decided by the time you see your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Ah thank you so much for your well wishes! Congratulations to you too!

Thank you for the tip re making sure the consultant is covered by my insurance. I've had a look at the LAYA website and

I have also heard that about the Coombe using private rooms for covid patients. It'd be interesting to hear if the issue is still as bad...

That's great you can self-register for the Rotunda, I'll bear that in mind! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think the Rotunda and the Coombe operate under the same "umbrella" group, so their practices are probably similar. Holles St seems to be under a different group.

I had 3 in the Rotunda, last one was 2018 - 3 really good experiences. I rang and booked my 12 week appointment with their semi-private clinic myself each time, although the GP will send a referral too.

Generally you have to pay up front for your first visit to the consultant, and all the rest should be free then, but as the other poster said check what care your Health Insurance covers - private/semi-private. You can claim some of the consultant fee back through either Revenue or Insurance.

Thanks a million! I think I’ve made my mind up and am going to go for private in the Rotunda. I’ve checked with my insurance so have a good idea now of what is covered. Thanks for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

One more tip for the Rotunda- if parking on the street, use the parking tag app! It's a life safer if an appointment runs over as you can top up using your phone. No more running out to top up the meter!😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Actually also - I presume this is still done - you can park in the multi storey car park at the back of Cineworld Parnell st, and the Security guard at the front desk in the Rotunda (he is just past the desk and waiting room, at the entrance to the corridors leading to the wards) can punch your ticket so that your visit will only ever cost 6 euro, regardless of how long it runs on.

I presume that is still being done, was certainly the case up to a couple of years ago.

Thanks a million, that’s great to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've just had my 2nd in Rotunda, care there is great.

I also had Dr. Jennifer Donnelly she is brilliant.

There have just built new section with private rooms + I got my own room no problem, just had to wait 2 or 3 hours in 4 bed ward in Lillie Suite.

5 years ago I actually didn't have my own room as none available but only shared with 1 other person.

In terms of restrictions husband only allowed at 20 weeks scan but this will be same which ever hospitial you choose and in fairness the way things are going they may remove all restrictions soon.

Partner can be with you each day after birth from 8am -8pm.

I'd definitely recommend parking in Parnell multi story as Shesty said. You don't have to worry then about getting parking or topping up + only then costs 6 euro once you get it stamped by security. I had hyperemesis for first few months so practically lived in hospitial at one stage so saved me a fortune + handy for my husband aswell after the birth.

The food is also amazing! Seriously you know how bad hospitial food usually is but not case in Rotunda.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks so much! Met my GP today so going to contact the Rotunda shortly to get booked in :-)

thanks for the car parking tips - little things like that are so handy to know and as you say if you have to visit the hospital regularly the parking charges can add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

Your very welcome, if you have any other questions just ask.

It's a very short walk from that car park to hospitial.

The other thing I will say is that part of town can be a bit dodgy at times, like a lot of city centre so just always make sure you have a cross body bag + I'd leave the designer handbag at home if you own any!

• Advertisement
Advertisement