Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29er Wheel Advice

Options
  • 14-02-2022 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2015 Trek X-Caliber 7. It's a 29er hardtail. After a hiatus of a few years (moving jobs and country!) I'm looking to get back out there. Just some Coillte trails, fairly tame stuff.

A few years ago I took a tumble and bent my front wheel. A local shop at the time tried to 'true' it, and while it was pretty good, it wasn't perfect. I'm looking to replace the wheel before I get back out there.

The bike still has its stock wheels (Bontrager AT-650 disc wheels, paired with Bontrager XR1 tyres).

Not looking to break the bank, but I can't seem to find anywhere in Ireland which is selling replacement wheels (that are in stock)? Anybody have any recommendations? Currently looking at this from a German online retailer, but I've no idea if it's actually good value!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Just my opinion but I'd say that you're better off going for the DT Swiss M1900. They're a bit more expensive but are a very good wheel for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Cheers.

I see that there are two inner width option - 25mm & 30mm. Is there any reason to go for one over the other (especially if not going tubeless)?

Wheel and tyre specs melt my head......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I'm certainly no expert on this. But as far as I'm aware it's to to do with tyre size. If you're putting on a wider tyre then a wider rim is better. If it was me and I was running anything over 2.0 I'd be going for the 30mm width.

And it probably depends on the riding you were doing. The x1900 is a bit light so if you were doing mostly fire road and lighter single track that would do the job for you. If you were doing some more rugged stuff or jump the M1900 would probably suit better.

Both are extremely good value at €109.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm guessing you just dont trust the original wheel at this point?

Depends how badly it was buckled really . My hardtail rear wheel has had a very tough life, at times it was buckled badly enough to have several inches side to side movement.

Its been trued about 5 times by different shops, usually once a year and its running great currently.. usually 10 or 20 quid a go?

Why not bring yours to a shop? how bad is it currently in terms of out of true?

Even if you decide to go for a new wheel after you'd get that 10 or 20 quid back to sell the wheel or you'd have a good spare.

If I was investing in a new wheel I would go the whole hog and get the shop to set it up tubeless. Its a huge upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Have a look at Silt MTB wheels, direct seller based in Northern Ireland getting good reviews in the magazines, Hunt are another alternative. I have Hunts on my bike and they are pretty decent. Definitely go tubeless if you can, one of the best upgrades you can make. Wider internal measurement is needed if you are going for a wider tyre, i.e. 2.3 or greater. Make sure you have frame clearance though for anything above 2.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I picked up a mavic 119 and deore hub in a 26 inch as the hub internals was destroyed on a 2nd hand mtb I picked up. it was from bike 24 rather than bike discount but its doing the job !

Advertisement