Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Hard to say. My best guess is rents would have been higher for first 2-3 years, but today they would be significantly lower because there would not have been the artificially low rents causing LLs to exit the market. I suspect without being trapped in lower rents LLs would have been far more prepared to drop prices during Covid, whereas I am absolutely convinced that many having seen tenants voluntarily leave back in 2020 are now just riding out the 24-month of vacancy needed for a price reset.

My own story: In the three years before RPZ my rent was never increased, but afterwards the landlord even complained that my agent had rounded the rent increase down to the nearest 10 euros rather than calculating it to the exact cent. In 2019 he gave notice that he was selling up. At the time I estimated that without RPZ I would probably be paying 1,200-1,600 but instead was paying 1,900 for a new place about half the size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you had a below market property to let tomorrow, would you advertise it or would you let it through word of mouth? Have you any idea how many enquiries you'd be dealinig with if you advertise?

The RPZ model has created a self reinforcing loop where advertised properties are all at the top end of the market, justifying higher rents for new to market properties.

In addition, by punishing the landlords who weren't pushing rents to the max (relative to the ones who were) and often not increasing rents of sitting tenants pre RPZ, they've either conditioned those sounder landlords to increase rents at every opportunity lest they be caught out again or worse still, to just sell up.

What's the overall picture? More rentals leaving the market than new rentals. Those leaving heavily biased towards the lower monthly rents with all of the new ones priced to the max, hey presto, average rents increasing at a much higher rate than the RPZ maximum but mostly because of a structure that rewards the assholes and punishes the sound landlord rather than widespread flouting of the regulations.

Rent controls that at least treated two identical neighbouring properties the same might make a difference but the RPZ system has done more harm than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We need a mix of one , 2 bed, 3 bed units. Government policy's forced many small landlords out of the market, Banning bedsits was a disaster , many people were happy to live in them , they provided a place for 1000s people on low income to live , landlords sold up and stopped renting . The government has good intentions but before you change policy you have to think what effect this will have on the rental market

Height levels are too low, other country's have large high buildings to house workers at reasonable price. People complain about lending limits, bank rules are the main reason prices are not going thru the roof everywhere . Sad to say the trend is more single people living alone. There's no big conspiracy it's more government lack of planning and height regulations pushing up the cost of building. We need houses, apartments and student accommodation built. Now we are facing the perfect storm, high inflation, high energy prices, supply chain problems, if the EU decides to cut off Russian supply of gas it will be a disaster as some places rely on a stable gas supply to generate electricity its like we are going back to the 70s inflation, energy crisis, this wont be good for anyone apart from oil company's Saudis Arabia who will be making mega profits. There's a cycle inflation equals workers looking for pay rises costs of production gos up

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

If you don’t give house to those single mom or broken families then the society will end up like USA having millions homeless people tent everywhere. More criminals, dangerous society. That’s not what we want either.

I don’t think people living in welfare house has a good condition like you think though. I know a family their daughter is in same class w my daughter. They have 6 kids and 2 adults, the house has 3 beds and 1 bathroom. Imagine 8 people sharing 1 bath and 2 girls are in teenage now. I know they are getting a much bigger house in summer. The dad doesn’t work at all, mom works in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Did they ever consider not having children that they couldn't support? Maybe after child number 3 or 4 decide, actually we don't have the space or money for all these children?

I know, crazy suggestion.

Never ceases to amaze me though how it's the people that almost certainly shouldn't be having tons of children, that are popping them out like tic tacs.

I agree w you. But… it’s happening in the world not just Ireland. The poorer the more kids they have. I have sympathy for those family’s kids. The family I mentioned the mom is only 36 yet 6 kids already. Started at age 16.

they were not educated to think about future and their kids future? I don’t know.

but, if they don’t get a roof, they will end up w homeless. It’s not good to society either.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭johnboy92

Instead of concentrating on welfare being certain types. What about the thousands of people with degrees and trades working hard earning sweet F A that need HAP to keep a roof over their head. Stop looking down on housing benefits are for the "unclean" when decent hard working people rely on it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement
Advertisement