Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭robwen

Oh come on to say DJ is as dodgy as his sister is BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Added to that is the possibility, if a property was repossessed, then sold at Auction there's a likelyhood of a substantial shortfall in the original mortgage debt which remains tied to the original borrower. So in the very unlikely event, Carey was even able to purchase the properties and somehow magically sell back the properties to the victims, those very victims could possibly already have substantial debts relating to original mortgage hanging over them. Carey was hardly going to over bid and certainly was looking for substantial discounts (wishful thinking of course)

It's often assumed that if a home is repossessed that's the end of it with regard to mortgage debt for the original borrower, it is not necessarily the case, particularly in a negativity equity situation or were the property doesn't achieve enough to clear the debt at auction. In essence , the victims would be possibly be in a worse situation when all is said and done.

We're a property is voluntarily surrendered, deals are generally done to wipe any debt outstanding, if its repossessed, not the case ,coupled with substantial legal costs, estimated at approx €5K

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She was also a director on DJs cleaning company and that investigation is forever going on....more than likely this investigation could turn out the same...these company structures must be a minefield if things turn sour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All these people in the soup might have been better off taking the Ivan Yates approach, declare bankruptcy, spend a year living in Wales and then come back debt free having kept the family home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Carey wasn't planning to but the property at auction. She was ostensibly planning to buy the associated loan and only asking the homeowner to repay the amount she had supposedly paid plus interest. Something along these lines was actually done by one of the groups set up to help distressed home-owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

Am just guessing that her defence will be a major personality disorder. What the window fitter will put up as an excuse, nobody knows, possibly being under her spell!

I'm aware of that but was just using an example of what happens when a home is repossessed and then goes to auction.

Regardless, the scam itself would likely have left debt remaining on original mortgage on top of legal fees already built up.

The window fitter will say he was "Framed" and that she was a "Pane" but couldn't "See" through her 😁

Her personality is quite complex, Smug, Devious, Brazen , Arrogant , Cunning and Delusional

Indo tomorrow has story that David Hall and the IMHO have a private investigator now after her assets. He’s supposedly representing a few of the people involved.

Who wants last seasons handbags? They’ll get very little I’d say considering there appears to be a few people involved who would have taken a cut coupled with the fact she appears to be high maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hotrodder

Anyone know if she is married or has kids. Nothing much about her personal situation.

David Hall, Investigating 🙄 this chap has an obsessive Penchant for publicity, I see he's now getting involved, using a private investigator through His "Irish Mortgage Holders Association" to try and track down Careys assets 🙄 almost as ludicrous as the scam itself.

I've been watching this character over the years, who seems to think he's the patron Saint of Distressed Mortgage Holders. He is certainly not and in essence and along with his very profitable Private Ambulance service, essentially runs an even more profitable Housing agency.

I'd wager the vast majority who dealt with his organisation have infact, ended up being Tenants in their former homes, which his "Irish Mortgage Holders Association" Now own"

The organisation should infact be called

"Former Irish Mortgage Holders Association"

This is nothing more than yet another Publicity Stunt by David Hall.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I doubt that. They would have been paying their mortgages as normal until the contract with catriona Carey was finalised. Then they would start paying the lower rate to her company. But that never happened, so presumably their situation with their original bank hadn’t changed…hence their desperation to get it finalised.

If they had stopped paying the original mortgage the bank would have been down on them like a ton of bricks.

The programme didn’t state at any time that the victims had stopped paying their mortgages.

I have to respectfully disagree.

It's more likely and probable these victims were in serious arrears and not paying their mortgages prior to the Catriona Carey introductions, indeed I suspect imminent repossessions were likely (albeit the process takes years) in most of the cases.

If the victims were engaging, perhaps paying interest only or a portion of mortgages to their lenders, it's unlikely they would have faced imminent repossessions.

Also, those for example going through a mortgage resolution process don't stop paying whilst the resolution being worked on.

Of course its likely Carey "Suggested" and once she got involved, to these individuals to stop paying, but honestly I doubt it and some had, I believe stopped paying long before her involvement IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Nah this is Ireland - 6 months suspended and not recorded as her brief says she may want to go to America at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

she's got to be sick in the head, a personality disorder of some kind - sociopath coupled with narcissism ?

she'd be a classic case study for any budding psychiatrist out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How some people can tell black lies to a person's face like that I can't understand, they must have a disorder of some kind ?

That or they are just plain bad

He does nicely out of his image as a Knight in shining armour for distressed Mortgage Holders ,whenever he buys the loans, he often leases the property back to the council

Often hear him arguing with Brendan Burgess in media as they come from Polar opposite attitudes to distressed debt

Burgesses hasn't a diplomatic charming bone in his body and is blunt to the point of nearly being impossible to like but he's straight all the same , hall must love being on with Brendan as it makes him look like Mr compassion

• Advertisement

Have to agree completely, it's always fascinated me how there's been very little scrutiny on this Hall character, he certainly played the Knight in Shining armour for all those distressed mortgage holders and yet to my mind the only person to benefit from his interventions is the Housing association he's set up, essentially ending up owning (and I presume) at substantial discounts, the homes of those he purported to help. Not just that those assets (Peoples former homes) have substantially risen in value since.

People will argue that he enabled people stay in the home , well yes but at enormous toll and now likely to being paying substantial rents for the rest of their lives. If it were me , I'd be utterly broken at the thought of having paid a mortgage for years, got into difficulties, loose my home (on paper) and then be stuck in a lost home paying rent for years to come .

People have actually faired much better dealing directly with banks, Debt write off solutions (negativity equity) , restructured etc and remained in their homes but actually still owning the home.

I'm not suggesting there was not hopeless situations but neither is it believable, many people who ended up dealing with the likes of Hall , couldn't have retained equity in their Homes or faired better dealing directly with Banks or a PIP.

Nice looking "Windows " on that Gaff 😏

Wow, if half of what's alleged with this "Unnamed " individual, residing in the "South East " is true, he'd make even Catriona Blush .

Interesting choice of car and intriguing that little matter of selling a BMW that was subject to a Lease agreement. Spare a thought for the Gobshyte who purchased it without checking details on Cartell 😳

You've got to love that excuse not to name people , "Currently Before the Courts" 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

That's a little mixed up.

His businesses went bust and the total deficit on the three entities was 1.7m. 600k was owed to DJ and about 150k to Newman

There was misappropriation of 200k being investigated but it is suspected that it was multiples of that.

Separate to the business were property investments and these turned sour. Full details were never disclosed, but the judgements were circa €9m

Must be some interesting family get togethers in that household

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

But why should her kids (if she has any) suffer?

There's a certain type of person who would target kids with venom as a way to get at their main target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She wouldn't be the best role model off the sporting field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iirc there was something about DJ Carey and Newman owning a Swiss ski chalet in their property portfolio. She was very wealthy in her own right having sold her website needahotel.com for 60 million in 2006. She used that money to get involved in buying property at the peak of the boom and just 10 years later she had declared herself bankrupt, it was some crash back down to earth for her from the heights of being worth 60m.

Sarah Newman , I suspect regrets the day she met DJ , Her downfall was primarily going guarantor on nearly €8 million in personal loans DJ took out, mostly towards the cost of the Swiss chalet but also for other ventures.

I Believe she got €30 million out of the sale of needahotel.com and its staggering the over all losses she incurred. Her ex husband also had a claim over various assets .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Easily separated might be a valid term.

To think she was held up as a bastion of entrepreneurship on dragon's den, only ever made one investment of a few k the entire time she was on.

• Advertisement

Must alert the motors forum to an imminent 640d BMW -quick deal required hence price- sale about to be advertised on donedeal

Advertisement