Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Husband has occasional cocaine benders

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

It’s hardly endemic- a sizeable minority take its but they are a minority

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

But the OPs husband is not going away, he is going out with some mates getting off his head and writing off the weekend. Quite different to your comparison (which I agree is totally fine).

While there are always different versions of a story, on the face of it it wouldn't excuse his behaviour. Unless she is wrong in her assertions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not that different. In both scenarios there is an absent parent for the weekend. What they choose to do is surely upto them (within reason). They are both adults after all.

Her assertions on the severity of the issue is all we have to go on. As I said 3 sides to every story and all that.

Main point was that if she is that concerned then marriage guidance is the next logical step rather than depriving children of (as the OP describes him) a good father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,627 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

As an ex coke head I can advise you that, when it gets a grip , it is all consuming in the situation where you take it ,if that makes sense. With your husband, it seems to be his mates. . I'm guessing they are also doing coke during these benders. The only way imo is to remove the temptation. Ie tell him in no uncertain terms that he has to ditch these mates. Worked for me. I stopped going out with coke heads and even moved out of a house I shared with them

. Once the temptation is easy access is removed coke is very easily kicked. It's not very physically addictive like heroin etc

By the way, it must be costing a fortune.

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭notAMember

Isn't the whole point of the OP that it isn't between them at all? She has no say, he unilaterally goes off getting coked up, vanishes and doesn't show up when his children need him, as they had planned.

There is a simple difference between that and someone going on a planned weekend away with their friends. In one, you're leaving someone in the lurch, reneging on prior arrangements, in the other, you've made an agreement and you stick to it.

Your whole other point about her not telling the truth is odd, and that's a fairly meaningless comment on a thread in PI. We go on what's presented and take it at face value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You cannot go on what is presented at face value as there are more than 1 side to a story. Giving someone life changing 'advice' and convincing them to deny their kids a good Dad based on 1 side of a story is at best reckless and at worst misandrist and sinister. The ONLY good advice that has been said on this thread is a recomendation for marriage guidance where a mediator can hear both sides of a story and mediate anything else is coloured by personal biases around drugs and assuming that the OPs truth is the only truth. The complete disregard for the children is also chilling given that we passed a referendum on the rights of children only a few years ago.

What is your objection to mediation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭notAMember

No objection to mediation, my advice to the OP was to be truthful to her family if she is hiding the reasons for showing up in a fluster with children needing to be looked after because their other parent is a no-show. That's not life-changing advice, it's protecting the children.

And yes, there we agree, the disregard for his own children shown by that man is chilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

There is a boad spectrum of opinions on this and I don't agree with the opinions on the extreme ends of the spectrum.

Personally I do not think your husband has major addiction issues but he definitely has substance abuse issues. Going on benders like that is simply not something that a parent can do if it is impacting the family. It's not acceptable at all for this to be happening regularly.

I think the best approach would be to let your husband know that this is not going to be tolerated anymore and is no longer acceptable. It's always going to be difficult to take a firm stance on this but eventually I think that will need to be done. As someone else said, consequences need to be felt by him. I think if he doesn't start suffering consequences then you and the kids will eventually.

It may be useful to push him towards seeking help to find out what the root cause of the substance abuse is. It sounds like it could be because of his friends who have less responsibility. He needs to realise that he no longer has the freedom to behave like his unattached single friends. He has gone down a different path, his number 1 in his life (by his choice) is his family.

I was very fond of sessions myself up until fairly recently but I had to come to the conclusion that I am now a family man and a partner so the sessions have to be consigned to history. It's simply not possible to be a sessioner and a responsible father/husband at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’m only going to give my opinion and not going to get into the rights or wrongs of drugs etc.

Nobody ever just forgets to come home when they are on a night out. Whether drink or drugs or both are involved if someone doesn’t come home to their partner it’s because they have made a conscious decision not to. If a night out turns into an after party (eg. Ufc is on and watching it in a mates house then you text).

Honestly the subtext regarding ‘dabbling in Cocaine’ is irrelevant to the issue. No committed partner, whether a guy or girl, with kids at home just forgets to go home on an ongoing basis…especially when called up on it continuously.

One thing you should be aware of (and not from personal experience but from being a publican and from my job now) people on a night out who are on patsy don’t forget what they do and more often than not don’t black out…don’t swallow excuses like I forgot to come back etc.

Advertisement