Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torch/ lamp for scope

• 15-02-2022 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys,

Bit of advice required.

Best torch / led lamp for mounting to your scope for foxes  / rabbits ? 

Also, is red or green better or does it make a difference?

Checking online I see Amazon have a load of led torches but would they suffice or are they just cheap not suitable.? I'm not looking at distance of more than 100 - 150 foot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭17hmr1

100 to 150 is not far at all.When I started shooting rabbit's at night I bought a led Lesner torch for around €50 and use to put the red,green or orange wrappers off roses sweets over the lens with a rubber band and I could see way further than 100ft so if you have a good torch try that first it might save you money for the distance you are shooting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

MODERATOR WARNING

This is not the for sale section. There is to be no selling/buying of goods outside of the appropriate forum.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

You want to be little fussy with torches. Get a unit with just on/off

The switch needs to be rear mounted

The switch on the led lenser is the style to go for.. comers on with a little press in of the button but can be let off without clicking the switch. Handy for a quick scan.

The switch should be guarded by a high ridge to protect from unplanned discharge in the kit bag and battery wastage.

The end of the bezel should terminate with a least 3 to 4cm of parallel tubular body onto which you can add an extension similar to a sun shade.

The light need to have a real deep bezel and be souly configure for throwing the light far.

Batteries? Well removable batteries are much better than any integrated style..11850 ?? are quite good to take a good charge and the torch body is close enough to a 25mm-30mm tube diameter that it suits the option to use an inverted scope ring as a holder.

Some torches are modular in so far as they will shorten down to use 1no 11850 battery which is weight saving not to be sniffed at.

250 Lumens would be the min power to seek out and to be honest it would be ideal for your ranges and out to 200m

A remote pressure switch is handy- sometimes!!

Avoids heavy adjustable mounts if ye can. their another PIA

If yer find a good unit then revert back here and let me know what you picked.. I bought my current torch off Dealextreme some 12 years ago from china for 30$ and its still going strong. I think it was rated as 220 lumens and it struggle past 200 yards, especially on damp nights when there's a lot of back scatter on the beam.

I just spent the last few hours looking for a torch, but i couldn't find anything suitable..

Anyone got any links to a good thrower with a simple on/off configuration.

• Advertisement

2 weeks ago Lidl had a torch with blue,green and red filters that you put on the head for €10.I bought it and for your needs it would be perfect,there was loads left and they were probably not a big seller so have a look there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭JP22

Lidl Kildare had a few left last week with the colour filters, they also had a few other led torches without filters, this week they have key-ring size/style led torches (AAA size x 1) which supposedly have a 30/40M beam. 🙄

For BR shooters - they currently have staplers in stock. Best place for staples is Dealz’s – 4,000 staples for a couple of yo-yos.

you can pick up an LED lenser for 15 and they're 2x time better. The torch with the filters is mediocre IMO. and with a fiver in the diff it's not worth it.

The Illumination under the filter is a drastically reduced output..

I also got that led lenser last year and it's a great torch.But seeing as the op is only shooting 100ft the Lidl one with filters will definitely be good enough for that distance as I've tried it out.Yes you do lose a fair bit of light putting the filters on but for €10 you get a fair torch with additional filters and as always with Lidl stuff 3 year warranty or if you don't like it bring it back.

If you can manage to keep track of you receipts then your a better man than me.. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭JP22

Advertisement