Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Powered Lawnmower recommendation

Options
  • 15-02-2022 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking t replace my petrol lawnmower with a battery powered one.

My lawns are pretty small and would cut in approx 30 minutes

Does anybody have any experience with these, and recommend one please?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

einhellWe have one of a fairly obscure (to me) make, Einhell. It is lightweight, has two sets of two batteries, a set does about 25 minutes of fairly heavy duty cutting, probably longer on easier grass. We use it as a kind of strimmer alternative - we have a heavy duty strimmer - it takes down longish grass and weeds with great enthusiasm and is light enough to fling around up steep banks etc. It mows the shorter grass in odd corners the ride on can't get into no problem. We reckon its the best thing since sliced bread 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Get the robot. Super job, the time you spend cutting your lawn could be used at more important things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Think of it long term. Think about all the time you will spend cutting a lawn dumping the cuttings etc.

Replacing a cheap Chinese battery mover every couple of years I think you will find the robot is a no brainier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It appears to be GE-CM 33 Li. Should point out that when it is being used as a 'strimmer' the box is left off and the lid propped up so the grass just flies out the back, for lawn grass the box works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you have rabbits don't even think about it...the battery lawnmowers I'd be very careful about it ..I was looking into the eco lawnmower untill I saw major battery problems and customer support not answering phones.....your better off with a petrol one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I have had battery lawnmowers for 25 yrs or so, in that time I have had two mainly, original Flymo for maybe 15 yrs with one battery change, was expensive at the time as I had to import from UK as they were not a thing here. Second one which I am still using is a Bosch Rotak picked up very cheap in a B&Q sale years ago as again they didn't sell well here so they were selling them off.

I also bought one in Aldi maybe 2 yrs ago, wasn't particularly expensive but battery/charger separate, my intention was to keep the new Aldi one and give the old Bosch one to my daughter as she had a small second lawn which was up steps and it was a big job getting the petrol mower up there but the Bosch is very light. Anyway I repossessed the Bosch late last year as it was a smaller shorter body of a machine and easier to manoeuvre as I have mainly circular lawns, gave her the Aldi one which is longer body and does better with a more rectangular lawn.

Aldi/Lidl will probably have them as cutting season gets closer, Argos usually have a good selection too, now none of these will probably last as long as the more expensive type like the Bosch I have which is still going strong on it's original battery. I do not leave it charging continually but charge as needed, it's quick enough to charge and full battery will easily do my lawn and path outside (unfortunately I live on a corner and the path grass area is nearly bigger than my lawn!), total mowing time 30 mins or so.

I don't know why anyone bothers with either electric/petrol for small gardens, battery is so much handier. Robot thing would be no good to me as two lawns and path, couldn't let it loose out there!

PS there are definitely previous threads on this topic too because I know I've replied a few times on this subject so might be more info there.

Post edited by phormium on

Super job. Would you sell your car and go back to a horse and cart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well with the current fuel prices i would consider it😉

*as for battery lawnmowers i have a Greenworks one which i bought under the assumption that it would give me 45 min running time (take a look at pic) but was later told that this was the 'no load time'🙄 i only got an average of 20 min work time from it, had to kick up a fuss with the store manager about it, threaten him with the small claims court before he reluctantly gave me a spare battery - otherwise its a good mower but the battery run time is p!ss poor

Advertisement