Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs for separation/divorce: what are you being quoted?

• 15-02-2022 2:52pm

I've got a couple of quotes from family solicitors specifically.

To get an uncontested separation/divorce (i.e. the ideal situation where you've agreed everything in mediation beforehand), I've been quoted €3000 and €5000 respectively by two solicitors, both of whom said I would save money by just going straight for the divorce. Further, if I went for a separation and it was still going on two years after we separated I could change it from separation to divorce without any extra cost, which was good to know. Has anybody got better prices? Or ways to reduce this cost - e.g. pay a solicitor to look over things, but do the filing for separation/divorce yourself?

To go to the Circuit Court, I've been quoted €25000 and €33000 respectively by the same two solicitors. This includes Junior Counsel but if it gets nasty, it could get much more expensive than this. VAT is 23%, importantly, and all prices above are VAT inclusive. There is not, insofar as I'm aware, any way to get any form of tax back on these costs so most of us are talking years of our working lives to pay these legal fees. Immoral, but by all accounts one of the many things we're going to have to suck up. I've been told as ballpark figures, some 80% of couples settle before it gets to court, 10% settle on the morning of the case outside court, and 10% go before a judge. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that's what I've been told. I've also spoken to somebody whose case cost €100,000 in legal fees between them.

What sort of prices have you been quoted, and does anybody have any ideas for reducing these costs? Obviously, trying to work it out in mediation is the no-brainer, but some people will reckon they'll have a better chance in front of a judge and not engage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

If it's straightforward you could go DIY, few services out there that you get the forms witnessed and lodged to the court yourself, they charge about 7/800 euro. Once it's all amicable and uncontested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Uncontested I was quoted similar figures between 3k & 6k, I've been seperated since 2018 so straight for divorce.

Uncontested I was told "could be anything" I am not expecting this to be contested for a number of reasons which I won't go into here but if it is I will have to re-evaluate my position.

Personally I wouldn't be at all comfortable doing it myself, I have fears of missing something and having to hand over half my pension the day I retire

Advertisement