Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions for wall covering plants that would grow in pots in a shaded area?

Options
  • 15-02-2022 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭

We have a big grey wall along our side passage, the other side of the wall is stone clad inside its just grey render.

Its relatively big so to clad it ourselves was running into mid 5 figures upwards, painting isnt really a runner as we get some salt coming through which will lift the paint.

I was wondering about some wall climbers that would grow in a pot (can be a large pot)

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Iff you put a big pot in there and grow things up the wall it will become a permanent fixture, which will interfere with traffic along the path. Even so finding something that will grow in there would be virtually impossible and extremely slow. Does it get any sun at all? If it is pointing due south in either direction you might get a bit of light, but its unlikely to be enough.

Two possibilities are climbing hydrangea and ivy. I would not recommend ivy as it will damage the wall surface. The climbing hydrangea is slow and would need a bit of support (some wires or trellis) initially, though it will attach to the wall once it gets going. What is under the gravel? You would be better to scrape some aside, create a hole and put in some soil and plant into that. Tough plants will cope with that situation once established. However I suspect there is serious wall foundations under there which will hinder the job.

Having said that, I have a north-ish facing front wall of the house that has a very vigorous Virginia Creeper growing out of a 6" x 8" hole that was left in the concrete path, right up against the house wall, when the house was built (well before my time) and it grows very well. 20 years later it hasn't done any damage to the house wall or path; the house foundations were excavated out of a shale type hillside so there isn't any top soil beyond any bit they might have put in at the time.

However I do feel you will be disappointed with the results of anything you try to grow along that wall.

One rather adventurous option might be to put up a framework at the front end of the wall opposite the window, and grow some ferns in containers up the wall - maybe pots in troughs rather than just pots - hardy ferns that like a shady spot.

Edit - something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtI2MN7fK0A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

chinese virginia creeper can grow in semi shade. and grows a lot slower than other Virginia creepers. But personally I don't think I bother planting anything there. Maybe some timber on the concrete wall to soften it. You could Scrape away some of the gravel and plant some ferns to add a bit of green to the area .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The wall is south facing but the only sun it really gets is early in the day.

Under the gravel, most likely some soil and a lot of builders rubbles waste i would guess! there isnt much space there really between the granite slabs and the foundations for the wall.

Sounds like it would take a long time for anything to grow 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

You'd be surprised what could grow there if you moved the gravel and cleared down to about 8 in and replaced with soil I've seen climbers growing out of cracks in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Could you do the opposite, i.e. find something that will grow down? Line the top with pots and have whatever is in it grow down over the wall. The only issue I can see is there might not be a flat enough section for the pots with the stone cladding

• Advertisement
Advertisement