Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best affordable food and drink places.

Options
  • 15-02-2022 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Heading down to cork city, can anyone recommend any affordable places to have a date night for food and drinks?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Affordable, for a date night?..

There are affordable Asian street food places. Drinks tend to be standard prices in the city centre. It depends on what drinks you have in mind; wine, cocktails, pints?

You could try SoHo? It's a large bar and restaurant, middle of the road market. On Grand Parade, right in the city centre.

https://www.soho.ie/pdf-menus

Market Lane is a very popular spot. Many people here love it.

I would consider it affordable, mains around €15-20 mark. Quality seems good.

(I would recommend it over SoHo actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

what do you mean by "affordable"? say, how much do you wanna spend on mains? but are you looking for quality?

Strasbourg Goose is reasonable I think though not been there myself, Amicus? its reasonable for sure.. and not bad..

@igCorcaigh gee I wouldn't recommend Soho.. Market Lane might be outta his budget..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

How affordable are you talking? Studenty?

Cafe Mexicana. Rossinis.

If you switch to lunch rather than nighttime, things are usually cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, the Strasbourg Goose is a good shout. They have a 22 euro 2-course menu which is good value; and decent portion sizes too in my experience.

If they really want cheaper options, Ramen (Anglesea St.) is an option. Loved their Khao Pad. The Linen Weaver (Wetherspoon's pub) has a reputation for good value; never have been there so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 matt.v

Any food you get in Wetherspoons is fairly grim, great student spot and very good value but if it's a date night kinda thing then Id recommend heading elsewhere.

I'm very fond of Clancys, good food and lovely set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

I'll have to second the previous opinions on Wetherspoons. It's a good option if you're REALLY short on cash, but the Linen Weaver might as well be called the Depression Inn given the atmosphere in there and the general presentation & quality of the food.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

Shite would be an improvement, if my last experience in there was anything to go by...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Where would you recommend to find affordable places to eat out, if not Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

OP hasn’t returned to define affordable for them… what is affordable for one isn’t affordable for others.

Have you a particular definition?

Cork penny dinners serves from 9am to 1pm daily if you are in personal difficulty.

Eating out is a luxury, and shouldn't have to comply to someone's idea of "affordable". There will always be a hidden cost; to badly paid workers, poor animal welfare standards, or just plain dodgy.

Advertisement