Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest legit windows.

Options
  • 16-02-2022 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

Upgraded my main PC (new mobo, cpu, ram, NVME drive).

Was trying to activate windows, said no license found - wouldn't activate with my license keys.

In the end successfully activated using my digital license from previous build, but went looking to buy windows as thought it'd not be too dear presuming I could buy an OEM version.

Cheapest I've seen from Microsoft is 259 euro.

I'm not after dodgy keys / non-legit software - but surely there's a way to get windows legitimately for cheaper than that for a new build / OEM pc?

Any help appreciated!

-ZB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

There are a lot of grey market Microsoft Windows licenses available, such as the ones large companies use to install windows across their devices that aren't meant for the average consumer. This Youtube video should show you what to avoid and how to find cheap legitimate keys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3mLBJWBhc

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

@Kirijoleth Thanks a million for that - awesome!

-ZB

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Any other ideas? I thought that when buying a new mobo / CPU / ram etc you could order the OEM license...

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

I bought several on Amazon before, for about €8 or €10. Seemed legit, never gave me hassle.

After that, I bought more -- on ebay, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

An OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) license is tied to MoBo and you cannot order it, its provided by Dell, Lenovo, etc. with computer you purchase.

Retail license is tied to your MS account once you purchace it and " ... If you have a Windows 10 Retail license, you can transfer the product key to another computer, as long as you deactivate the old device."

So, was your old PC bought from shelf or self build, how you had it activated?

Its either you looking for legit or for other options...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

I have used Mr Key shop in the past, they're a legitimate company that is located in the UK here's a link to their site that also tells you where they get their serial numbers from and the legal judgements that enable them to do it: https://mrkeyshop.com/en//4-about-us

Advertisement