Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Serious Office Issue

Options
  • 16-02-2022 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

I **** hate drinking my tea from the crappy, manky cups in office canteens... Which is not a problem, because I have my own cup that I bought, for me to use, it's yellow so people can easily recognise its mine. I keep it at my desk, it's germs are mine. Ive had my own cup for over ten years, throughout various workplaces. I collect all the cups and dirty plates in the office and put on the dishwasher every evening... But people keep taking my cup and using it, but not just using it, they tend to try to keep it as a possession... Theres a girl on the other side of the office sitting over it now... it's not had a cup of tea or coffee in it for hours, it's just sitting there on a dirty plate, sitting in the food waste... I haven't had a cup of tea all day...

So, the last time, a new office manager arrived, became attached to my cup and started to hide it so that she had it the following day and I couldn't get it back. What I did is to go to Dunnes, buy her a new cup, in a different but nice colour (not famine or masculine because that would have been offensive somehow). I gave her the new cup and let her know that I was attached to my cup and, sure how was she to know it was mine etc... She gave back my cup, used the new one that day, but put it in the bin the next... Thats her prerogative, I had my cup back, happy days... however, she did hold a grudge against me after that...

But I can't keep doing that. I'm looking at my cup on the other side of the room now... sitting in squaller... I want it back...

***BTW, before people get arsey... yes, I know this is trivial. The post is tongue in cheek... But also I like my cup and want it back...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Em maybe just ask for it back? Go over, offer to put the plate & all in the kitchen & say "look you mightn't know but that's actually my mug so I'd appreciate if you didn't use it going forward". Also if they all just get piled into the press after coming out of the dishwasher anyone might assume that it's up for grabs. I have a particular mug I like to use in work (yes it is mine) but I always wash it myself by hand & put it back on my desk at the end of the day. I don't put it through the dishwasher as it will end up in the main press & someone else will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If you are putting it in the dishwasher then it'll be used by anyone. Wash it yourself as witchgirl26 says above.

If you want to take it further just get a cup that says "Michaels Cup" or what ever your name is in big letters. Cause as it is once it goes in that dishwasher no one will know its your cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Label it...with Covid

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I have to say I hate this kind of pettiness. If all the cups are run through the dishwasher then they are clean - so use any cup.

Would you bring your own cup to a friends house or a restaurant - bet you dont.

• Advertisement

Sorry for pissing in your cornflakes... but if you had read the OP you know "I know this is trivial. The post is tongue in cheek". Don't be upset...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Get one of these :

It has a plug that you keep, so that it only holds liquid when the plug is inserted.

Problem solved ...... 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Don't leave it in the dishwasher or any communal area.

Wash it at the sink yourself when it's dirty.

When it doesn't have tea in it it should be in your office drawer out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Nothing wrong with wanting to use your own teacup exclusively imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

In my office we bring in our own cups.

Wash them ourselves after use and hey presto, no one takes someone else's cup.

Grow up OP. Take responsibility for your own cup and don't leave the poor dishwasher with the task of washing it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

Years ago, someone took my mug at work. Said they preferred it to theirs & I could have theirs instead. I did not like theirs. I continued to use my mug as did they. Eventually, I would go & get my mug as required, even when they’d used it, wash it for my own use & then leave it to wash until I wanted to use it again. Even more eventually, they got bored with never having a clean mug when they wanted it. I missed the game so I took my mug home with me every night to see if anyone wanted to play there. They raised the stakes by introducing dinner plates & saucepans. ‘‘Twas a time to be alive alright.

That sounds like they were trying to bully you. In that instance I'd like to think I'd tell them no...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It was very well written, a little scary tbh. I haven't been on boards in a while and I think I flagged your post by mistake. I'm not sure what this does, you're probably on some list now. If you get into trouble with mods because of it you can show them this and tell them I didn't mean it.

You can make it up by getting my cup back 🤣

Next time you see someone using it, just ask loudly enough " has anyone seen my yellow mug, the one that I use for shaving?", you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Add "...my balls" onto the end and you're golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

You could go a step further and say its the cup you pee in when no toilet is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

OP, do you still have a desk? Are you having an issue like Milton's stapler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Brings taking the piss to a whole new level

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Anyone thinking about moving into a supervisory role should read the OPs post with great care and understand that this is what is in your future.... yep, everything from who gets to sit by the window, get's a plant beside their desk, a bigger share of the shelf, even where the litter bin is placed....

OP, increase you odds, by yourself a dozen cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I feel your pain. I had a similar issue at work years ago. My cup went missing and after asking around one of the girls said she threw it out as it had a chip on it. I couldn’t believe she would take it upon herself to dump a cup that wasn’t hers.

Since then I wash my cup in the sink and take it back to my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,415 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not wash your own mug in the sink instead of the dishwasher after use and then put it back at your desk?, problem solved.

Either that or get a sharpie with indelible ink and write in big letters "Psyco Bluefoam's cup!" on it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

good Idea, & the shite spelling would definitely deter people for using the cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

You just let it be known that you occasionally drink your own urine for the health benefits. Your cup will be safe after that , though you might not have too many friends in the office 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Is this a professional setting? This is bizzare.

Why do you say that... isn't drinking your own urine normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

In the privacy of your own home you can do what you want with your urine but not in a work professional work place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’d be applying for WFH Op!

Advertisement