Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Seanad by-election

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You can be against more than one type of candidate. The likes of your man taking the pis$ and turning it into a joke can pave the way for the more sinister candidates to get in. Once the process becomes a joke then sure why would people care when you tell them it doesn't matter?

Would you have voted for Basset if he had still said the same policies but did it while taking the pi$s out of the Seanad or the process on social media? Could he count on you if he took that strategy maybe?

Who pays for the election material?

That may be a reflection of the number on the register.

Being pedantic (and open to correction) but I'd imagine that you wouldn't have a "TCD degree". Your degree would likely have been conferred by Dublin University. It is the same body which awards degrees to "TCD graduates". Both are/were probably conferred by Dublin University. (TCD being the only consituent college of Dublin University.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You seem to be making the erroneous assumption that I would have voted for that candidate just because I don't object to the existence of his campaign in the first place.

As for him paving the way for more sinister candidates.....that doesn't even make sense. You know what paves the way for sinister candidates though? The success of sinister candidates in other countries. The election of the politician who you have chosen to name your account after inspired a whole host of people with terrible running in our last local and general elections.

Who pays for the election material?

What material? Did he even produce anything beyond social media?

The cost to add his name to the ballot paper is negligible considering there were already 16 candidates on it.

Apathy can pave the way for more sinister candidates to get elected. Telling people that the process,or the institution, doesn't matter increase that apathy and disengagement.

If the Seanad doesn't matter, or if any political election doesn't really matter, then why would I bother going to the effort of voting? Whereas the ones with an agenda will make an effort. They will rally their troops. They will sneak in in the face of that apathy.

People making a joke of the process do affect that.

Give me the name of one person who was inspired to run by Trump who would not have run otherwise? Given that you appear to be trying to take a personal dig for some reason.

If you decide to read the words in my posts I never objected to his existence either. I merely said I would not have any time for him. He is as entitled to run as anyone else who can get the 10 nominations. It is just unfortunate that he decides to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It wasn't a personal dig. I was actually writing his name and then I realised it was your username so just reworded it.

One person who was inspired by Trump was Sarah Louise Mulligan. She ran on a far-right platform and explicitly said that Trump was her inspiration even creating a website telling the world how much she loved him. She was all over social media at the time which is why I remember her. She ended up coming second last in Cabra-Glasnevin with 168 first preference votes.

We could probably have this back and forth all afternoon but I'm going to leave it there. Feel free to have the last word though.

That was the "lady" who used to try to get articles of herself in the likes of the Sun with photos of her with her knockers out.

She used to be an amateur model (read that as let random fellas take photos of her in the nip) and then tried to make a big deal out of performing a sex scene naked in some film or series.

Nothing wrong with any of that, but I'd reckon her running for anything had more to do with publicity than actual political ambition. Claiming to be a Trump fan would be one way to increase the publicity. I would count her on a par with your man and his "joke" campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

You are wrong - DIT Graduates up until around 20 years ago got DIT Advanced Diplomas and were seperatly graded for TCD degrees. They have all the same rights and qualifications as if they attended TCD and the same parchments.

As the DIT diploma and the TCD degree are in slightly different categories most now have 2 degrees as you can retrospectively get the DIT level 8 award upgraded. For example the Level 8 Advanced Diploma in Marketing Techinques in Mountjoy squlare was awarded a BSc in Management form TCD. They can now get a separate degree retrospectively from DIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

The failure to enact the referundum of 1979 is a joke and makes a mockery of the Dail. It should be an issue for every referendum campaign ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Advertisement

I'm not wrong. You just didn't understand the point

Technically, there is no such thing as a "TCD degree". Trinity College does not have authority to award degrees. You may read about it even of wikipedia if you want https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Dublin

Advertisement