Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION - Storm Eunice 18th February

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fastnet reporting 70kts gusting 79kts around 15 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork airports 5am TAF still showing 70kt winds at 7-9am

TAF:  EICK 180500Z 1806/1906 21028G50KT 9999 FEW018 BKN030 BECMG 1806/1807 29035G60KT TEMPO 1806/1808 4000 SHRA BKN010 SCT017CB TEMPO 1807/1809 30040G70KT BECMG 1810/1812 28025G42KT TEMPO 1811/1824 -SHRA FEW012 SCT017CB PROB40 TEMPO 1812/1819 4000 SHRASNGS BKN010 BECMG 1814/1816 30015G27KT BECMG 1816/1818 27015KT TEMPO 1818/1821 27016G27KT BECMG 1821/1823 24010KT BECMG 1900/1902 21008KT BECMG 1902/1904 21015G25KT BECMG 1904/1906 22025G38KT TEMPO 1904/1906 4000 RA BKN010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Which of the models is looking most accurate at the moment? Seems to have been relatively calm here in South Wicklow all night. Most models on windy are showing 70kph gusts for right now except GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There will be loss of life. It seems a bad call by the UK Met to put out a second 🥈 warning at 4 am, but then if they put it out last night, and things turned out less severe they'd gets stick for over egging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I cannot believe the met office in the U.K. just upgraded a highly densely populated area to a red warning at 4am. All schools should be closed from yesterday, I’ve family involved in electricity and power and they have been expecting it to be really bad from yesterday. This isn’t the west of Ireland able to withstand these gusts. There will be significant damage. Will people do morning commutes? What do parents do re childcare? It’s a complete mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gone from flat calm at 967mb to very blustery at 972mb very rapidly here in Cork. Out of the eye obviously and here she comes......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Think it's half term in the UK this week so no school. Certainly my niece and nephew are off. Sorry for non technical post.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wrong thread!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Flat calm in southern Laois, though the barometer shows the pressure has bottomed out, perhaps...

Temperatures hovering around 4c, though we did get up to 8c overnight as the warm sector moved over.

Band of precipitation out over Tipperary inching eastwards which I presume is the occluded front and the winds will pick up then. Gurteen looks like it's getting snow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest wind/gust in 0800 reports is Roches Point 87kmh/gusting 131kmh.

Valentia not reporting for the last 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s gas the way the buoys and now Valentia go off line when you really want to see their readings. To be expected in those conditions I suppose.

Gone from flat calm to gusting over 40mph (60kmh) in a matter of minutes!!! (South Laois) Sleet and temperatures rocketing down.

It certainly seems the models were 1.5hrs ahead in their forecasts, but pretty much all predictions otherwise look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Valentia is reporting on the aviation site. 32 gust 58 knots.

PsMETAR VALE 180800Z AUTO 31032G58KT 6000NDV -SHRA BKN019/// 04/02 0994 MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

It does look like it did arrive a little later than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Any information on where it made landfall? Was the track more southerly than expected?

Gone from being calm and sunny in Firhouse Dublin 24 to rainy and wind picking up now.

sorry for quick reply on tech thread.. but Cork still on the up at 0900h

I don't think it (Eunice) made landfall per say, the main core of the low tracking just off the south coast. It split into a double core with the northern (much slacker centre) pushing from SW Cork up the Shannon valley and veering NW over Mayo before moving east towards Belfast, that is my reading of it to this untrained eye!

It seems the northern low is deepening as it tracks in over Scotland, still a notable tightness to the isobars off SW Wales and NW Cornwall which is what the UK authorities are warning about.

Link to the page in case the animation above is too fast! Meteociel - Atmospheric pressure observed in real time in the United Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Winds picking up along the south gusts of 137kmph

• Advertisement

For me, increasing use of the term "landfall" for extratropical systems is not correct. RTÉ's correspondent down in Dingle this morning made great use of it and it seems great as it makes things sound comparable to a hurricane landfall. However, the latter's landfall is significant in that nearest the centre is where the worst of the winds are, whereas with our systems the strongest winds are always well away from the centre. So please, stop using this for these storms as it means absolutely nothing apart from adding hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

I completely agree with you some people might take the worng interpretation. It's too Americanised

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

137kmh for Roches Point warrants the red anyway, technically.

I'm a few kilometers inland from there (Cobh) and "only" got an 88kmh gust. For me that didn't even touch yellow but I could be a bit shielded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

How much would it cost to get some of these southern stations a decent ups and diesel generator for when the power goes out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looks about right for Galtymore

Sorry for the sideways pic

They've all been reporting on external sites, such as Meteologix.com

Meteologix.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

The wind obviously knocked you over just as you took it 🤣🤣🤣

Cork is saying goodbye to Eunice. Interesting gust recorded at the airport at the 10:00h interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Fair play to you. Was going to ask if anyone had eyes on Galty or Croagh Patrick.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nothing notable here outside Tralee, no damage apart from a few branches down and saw a few slates come off probably dodgy roofs, squally hail showers and windy for sure but way under what the models were showing, but must say GFS / WRF did well, very much a coastal event in the end it seems for Ireland in general. Must have a look later at the data after work.

Advertisement