Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we separate without solicitors?

• 17-02-2022 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

After living separately under the same roof for about 10 years, my husband has accepted a relocation in work, so wants to officially separate now. Hes a good man, and wants to see that im ok. He is going to continue to pay the €800 per month mortgage on our house. Neither of us want it sold, as it will be the only inheritance we will have for our sons one day. Youngest son is in college so comes home at weekends. The others are working and have moved out. Husband suggested he pays the mortgage and €100 per week for us. Thats over half his wages so i think its fair. He also said he will pay for birthday and xmas gifts. I dont work but am disabled and on social welfare. We have no savings, but no other debt other than the mortgage. We cant afford any legal fees, and there is no animosity between us. Can we just agree to this between ourselves, without the need for solicitors? Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭standardg60

You will still need to legally defined as separated by a court, so realistically you will need a solicitor to draw up all the terms of the separation on paper. It's great that you both are in agreement so this will mean substantially less in costs. Best thing to do is ring a few solicitors, explain the circumstances and get a quote for the work involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dubal

Use the free mediation service to get a divorce agreement and the a self divorce company to do the divorce.

Advertisement