Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was interesting 'cos someone else tried to suggest Russia was doing well because China was still buying its oil and gas. But as you just pointed out, a pariah state doesn't have much leverage when the only customer wanders up to the table. And when that customer's China? Well yeah. The end-result is exactly what you have shared.

I can't pin down why, but there's something about the format of those Russian "talk" shows that's a bit weird. They seem to be set up for polemics to just rant for 5 minutes while there's an audience of guests just dumbly watching like it's a game show.

The rhetoric is crazy though, for sure, though I'd be loathed to read too much into it. There are always going to be those that are all-in on the myth of Big Boy Russia in charge; no more than we have hardened Brexiteers across the water, I'm sure there are Russians who are clinging onto the idea that any minute now, the USSR will return and then we'll see who's boss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Funny that; if the Russian army is "the worlds most modern army" how come it has failed so horribly in Ukraine against a country using their own discarded equipment from the 90s? And it's hilarious that you assume a stated investment in the military actually went to the military seeing how Russian kleptomancy is working at all levels in the country esp. in a state run organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

So you are saying the BBC and Reuters are conspiracy theorists and revisionists. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

What we're seeing is essentially a demise of Russia as a significant regional power and ascendancy of China.

Even Turkey is a stronger regional power at this stage.

Soloviev is a clown, nothing else. He doesn't mean it, it's a show.

He's Putin's close mate so he must have stolen $billions from the state money. His function is to keep the organised crime which is called "Russian government" going and keep the mass theft going by spouting all these hyped up propaganda pieces. He's a chief propagandist not by conviction but by $$$. Italians confiscated his villas there so he's pissed off 😎

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying your explanation of those programs are 😉 Give up pal, new account, few posts, we're watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically. Russia is dead and just doesn't know it. When Putin dies, all bets are off. In the meantime, he completely overplayed his hand; The West was "happy" to use Russian oil and gas, tut-tut every now and again when it jailed some gay people, Pussy Riot, or a political opponent - but otherwise pretend Russia was slowly modernising by degrees.

Now, it's a pariah nation, its economy is barely keeping its head afloat while China slowly leans them over a barrel. Their Big Strong army is being shown to be 30 years behind the curve, out-thought and out-manoeuvred. They're only keeping parity - parity! - because the EU is reluctant to send more weapons.

The ordinary people will suffer - are suffering - but we're in an interconnected age: the Russian internal firewall can only hold so much back before cracks show. Belarus showed how you can protest even when the law says you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SomewhereInTheMiddle

The Russian army failed? Sorry, did Putin sign a capitulation bill?

Just for your information: All the Russian military technics have either "Z" or "V" signs on their boards. They did this purposely to eliminate the number of such fakes (but not only for that).

So the mentioned image from Twitter is just a 100% fake.

Again - check the sources before you trust them.

There it is. The classic go to response deployed whenever you can't refute anything in the post you were challenged on.

I used these western media links so that people like you can trust them. Its a shame you can't trust anything that doesn't fit your narrative even if the sources aren't Pro Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The Russian military wouldn't be considered the most modern, that would be the US.

Putin invested 2 trillion dollars in the Russian military in just recent times!

Not sure whether this is parody, but can't find anywhere in your link where it reports that. The headline is that the world spent 2 trillion on military in recent times. You should take some of your own advice and check your sources. It also states the Ru military spent around 65 bn on their military in 2021, and that they decreased their spending from 2016 to 2019 (for reference the US spent 800 bn on their military in 2021)

In terms of using old resources (like the T-62)

Russia has lost at least 760 main battle tanks (visually confirmed), add about 20% to that figure to get closer to the real number, also factor in a vast amount of tanks that will be out of actions for normal wear and tear repairs. For perspective that's more tanks than the UK, France and several European countries own combined.

They have many tanks in deep storage but the state of these is highly questionable, with earlier reports indicating that tanks had been stripped of crucial components. It looks very likely they are using T-62's, the M variant. Not too far off the early T-72's. There's a couple of photos of them already with the usual markings, inc. one apparently broken down on Russian territory. Excellent fact-check on this below.

• Advertisement

There are multiple symbols not just Z or V. Again I suggest reading your own links.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I will comment now the "you should trust nothing", "everyone has an angle" mentality you espouse in all your posts does ring a slight bell.

May not have been to Ukraine or Russia, but that level of cynicism (particularly about politics and the entire media) and conspiratorial thinking where everyone is lying to serve an agenda or for self interest does seem a bit familiar to me from working with Russians in past. Used to be less common here I feel but it is growing steadily thanks in part to the excellent propaganda capabilities of countries such as Russia and their sustained efforts in promoting this corrosive world-view.

Oh the media (Western, Russian - all equivalents, all as bad as each other), they lie to you, the politicians and leaders (East/West, Russia or the West, they are all the same lot) lie to you, so you can't know anything at all for real unless you see it with your own eyes or hear it with your own ears. So maybe just pipe down with those opinions since you haven't lived there, shut up now, and give up hope.

Anyway, it's futile really, size of the outrage Russia has done in Ukraine this time is too big for the waters to be muddied up by this sort of message.

Multiple confirmed T-64's there, first introduced in the early 60's.

My good man, why do think I'm Pro Russian at all? If I say something that looks "Pro Russian" or "Pro Ukrainian" - it doesn't matter I'm Pro-whatever.

I'm for real people and for clear vision, not for any political side. While here I see a lot of people who are Mr. Know-Alls about it and have come to the "right" conclusion.

History will judge.

But look above - I wrote, that twitter picture with tanks is 100% fake.

Also I added that Russian military is much more powerful than someone tries to pose it here. That's just the fact. Just think yourself, how comes that poor Russian soldiers are invading for so long with old military, while the West sends tons of weapons.

If you really want to see alternative point of view, then find some Telegram channels, there might a bit more useful info than in "official" Russian channels or BBC/RTE.

E.g. this one:

https://t.me/asbmil/1483

They were blocked from Twitter for clear reasons, as there is obviously Pro Russian info too for sure.

But it's a way to look from the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

More deflection, twisting of words and, quite frankly, piffle and drivel from you.

The poster, McGiver, plainly said no such thing.

Why are you falsely claiming that they did?

Russia has said it will respond by sending more rockets into Ukraine, the usual pure evil, what's new.

This above is verbatim what McGiver posted when shown a BBC newsnight clip from 2014 that exposed the fact that the far right were heavily involved and fired the first shots at Maidan.

Sorry for the confusion. That wasn't for you it was for McGiver.

Totally agree with you on Telegram but. It is invaluable to get to the truth from either side.

Most of the "investment" is stolen by the kleptocratic organised crime called "Russian government". That's why we see what we see in Ukraine in terms of military performance.

I would seriously doubt Russian tactical nuclear capability as well. Putin made a huge mistake by exposing the shambles that Russian military is...

If the Japs or Chinese were expansionist they would have stricken Russia easily now (in the East which is poorly defended). Thankfully for Russia they aren't. Turkey is definitely watching though.

• Advertisement

Spot on - classic Russian propaganda tricks:

• Everyone is lying
    • There's no truth
    • Everything is relative
    • There's different angles

Basically, makes the target trust nothing and deny reality or any sense of objective truth altogether. Which then lets Kremlin do whatever genocide or crime they want and deny any responsibility or involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

I wonder what would happen if Turkey took advantage of Russia's exposed weakness and physically attacked Russia.Nato would have no obligation to intervene would it?

It is supposed to be a purely defensive pact.

So how can any of this be to Turkey's perceived advantage via a vis Russia?

Do Russia and Turkey have any ongoing disputes at all?Syria?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

But unquestioningly accept any old bullsh*t I serve up. And gets insulted when told we don't believe it.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

My God... :(

Looks like you're happy that people are dying. Man, are you serious? 

Why are you so bloodthirsty? Those are soldiers on both sides, but they're still people. No?

Do you want this war to be stopped at all?

Before the war Ukraine had over 1200 T 64 tanks. Russia had zero. The DPR & LPR had about 80 between them at most. The grainy photos in your link to the biased bellingcat and NED affiliated oryx are most probably Ukrainian. There is absolutely no metadata on the website to prove whose they are.

Easy end to the war, Russia stops its aggression and goes back home, but ye don't want that.

Poor aul correct horse battery staple has gotten a bit carried away with all the propaganda..

V. Soloviev - is Russian propagandist.

That's why I'm saying - don't watch only public media. Neither Russian, nor Western. Look for additional alternative channels of information if you want to learn something apart from information dictated by political puppeteers.

Again, it doesn't matter - Russian or Western public media. If you'd look into one - you'll see how it blames another side. If you'd look into another - you'd see how it blames the first. They're saying not only the opposite things, but a part of truth about which the opposite side is silent. And it's always like that.

But! Both of them will be silent of something else. For example when there were several Russian/Ukrainian negotiations - just notice, most of them were closed. They simply asked journalists to leave the room. Why?

Yeah, it smells like conspiracy, but just think about it - what do they have to hide from public?

So, no conspiracy - I just tend to find anything else. If you don't believe such story-tellers like me - okay, no problem. But then ask other people, or find journalist reports, private reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

+1 to this ^

Ending the lamentable killing is very simple, the russian army needs to withdraw to the pre-2014 borders of Ukraine, and to halt the support it is giving to the uprising in Donbass.

Since there is precious little hope that this will happen, thousands more young Russians will die needlessly. The killing may in fact go on for years. No decent human being wants this, nor should any Russian mother or father want to see their sons sent to be slaughtered.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be saying anyone is getting carried away if I was you, given you want a whole section of this site closed down because people were "questioning" your propaganda and crack pot theroes, by asking for actual verified evidence to support them.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement