Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No. This is "both-sides-ism".

We have some idea how many Russians are dead due to decent estimates and leaked info. We don't know the true figures of Ukrainian military dead, but as the complete victim in this, the people that are fighting for their lives, families, land, everything, most are cutting them some slack on releasing the real figures, and understanding that they may not want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has range been limited? Obviously the intention is for Ukraine to reach the border and more and more of Russia comes into range as they advance. Parts of Russia will eventually be in range regardless of any limiting. If attacs within Russia was enough to start WW3, it would have started by now. Also more countries, including possibly at some stage Ukraine, are joining NATO, this shows that nobody is scared of offending Russia.

Who else do you expect to join Russia in a WW3 scenario? There are only a few countries willing to supply weapons to Russia, these are regressive states with totalitarian regimes and they wouldn't support Russia in a full on war against every developed country as they would be destroyed in days.

Even if Russia could escalte it to a wider conflict, they would also be destroyed quickly. Look at what Ukraine is doing with hastily trained soldiers with a fraction of the Wests weapons and not even the latest systems, imagine what the full force of the West could bring to bear on them. Every day Russia grows weaker as it losses more men/equipment and their economy tanks. Do you honestly believe that Russia could say "you've gone too far" and attack a NATO/EU country?

Nobody else is attacking Russia now because they have no justification for doing so. If they attacked Russia, it would be similar to what Russia is doing to Ukraine and would completely undermine any authority they might have and likely lead to the end of NATO. Russia is free to drag others into a war if they so want, in reality, as stupid as they are, they aren't that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Suggestions this evening that President Zelensky is about to fly to Washington DC and may address Congress tomorrow evening our time. This would be his first time outside the country since Putin invaded back in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And only a few hours after visiting his troops on bakhmut,

I don't think when this is all over they could build a Statue big enough in honor him.

'Cometh the hour, cometh the man' and all that. He will probably do down in the Ukrainian history books as their greatest ever person and leader.

• Advertisement

He's definitely earned a place in the history books for being one of the great wartime leaders, he's using his trade as a comedian/actor,he knows how to command his stage and keep the cameras clearly focused on him , meanwhile putin is reduced to having a couple of mouth pieces make threats on tv shows ,

There have been rumours of disagreement between him and his military commander on strategy and some speculation. There could be a military coup. I don't think Zelinsky has ever really been liked by the Ukrainian military even before the current conflict.

Perhaps he decided to finally take the US upon their offer on getting a ride out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭amandstu

Says a lot more about that particular poster than anything else.

Nonsense.

Where did you read that Sputnik or rt .

He's played an absolute blinder with the current strategy, karkhiv, Kherson, bakhmut,Kreminna is about to be closed off to Russian supply routes,and then the big push for meltipol and eventually Crimea,

and people aren't happy of course Russians and their supporters aren't happy they have lost, the war , respect,their economy, their place on the world stage ,their ability to threaten their neighbors and a laughing stock when it comes to wanting to fight Nato and lost the European energy Market in a few months invading Ukraine.

Come on now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Just another nonsense post from you as you cheer dear old Russia from the sidelines. I’m sure you have good legit sources for the rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Reminder of the charter:

"When offering fact, please offer relevant linkage, or at least source. If you do not do this upon posting, then please be willing to do so on request."

And

"Deliberately misleading posts or posters aiming to spread misinformation will be sanctioned. We do not expect posters to be experts in all areas, however, the onus is on all posters to fact check their information. If a poster is corrected, or information corrected in a thread, any poster who continues to relate misinformation as fact will be sanctioned."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭jmreire

Now if you replaced the name Zelelski with Putin, you would be pretty much 100% correct, but with Zelenski, you are 100% wrong. Where did you get your info from? The Moscow Muppeteers, Solovyuv and Margarita??? Sound just like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I doubt Zelensky has any influence on military matters anyway. The suggestion that he is dictating military tactics to the military is pretty stupid. Most of the military strategy is likely coming from the Americans.

I'd say the military top brass just tell Zelensky to make sure weapons keep flowing from the west and put on a good show to keep morale amongst the troops high. That's what leadership at his level is about, winning the hearts and minds, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Until I see a single credible source, this entire segue smells like the worst kind of speculative bullshít, to be frank. Scuttlebutt that serves nothing but throwing some shade at the Ukrainian power structure as something foundationally suspect.

Why on Earth would a military, one whose entire success on the battlefield can be sourced back to the publicity game played by Zelensky, pushback or even consider a coup?

Even if they absolutely hated his guts, Zelensky's charm offensive has guaranteed the Ukrainian army has had the equipment, intelligence and support by the international community to not just defend Ukraine but go on the offensive. While if they did conduct a coup, all that goodwill would dry up overnight rather than support an undemocratic junta. It's nonsense until I see otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think this is really right either. Of course he has influence over military matters and could engage more in strategic elements if he really wanted to. But he is choosing to leave it to the military command, as is sensible. The entire idea of the military telling him what to do is what Ukraine is essentially fighting against. Civilian leadership of military is an incredibly important concept and I see nothing to suggest that Ukraine is not following that. Their civilian leadership is just not interfering.

Also I think military strategy is coming from the Ukrainians, not the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Is putin still dabbling in battlefield strategy?

He's playing 5D chess and dominating the opposition according to his fans on the interwebs,

Putin meets lushashenko in Belarus, meanwhile Zelensky went to the front lines in Bakhmut and less than 24 hours later he's in the White House,

Premier league vs league of Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I did not realise Zelinsky owned a suit - I have only seen him in a khaki T shirt before.

You think with all the billions we've given Ukraine, he could afford to buy himself something decent to wear when meeting his largest supporter and financial backer.

I suppose since he was an actor he is used to wearing a costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If he wore a suit no doubt you had a slur prepared for that eventuality too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

His country is being invaded by Russia. He's likely signalling solidarity with the troops.

Zelensky wears khaki for PR reasons but it's very good PR. He's trying to emphasise his role as a wartime leader and his capital being bombed daily.

The fascist in the Kremlin on the other hand would look ridiculous in khaki seeing as Moscow is not being bombed and his state has not been invaded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I suppose since he was an actor he is used to wearing a costume.

All politicians are actors to one extent or another and Zelenskyy is playing his part to a T.

And he's not the first Western leader to don military garb for PR reasons - his hosts predecessor is one that come to mind

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Biden wears a suit at work. Zelensky wears a green tee-shirt , etc, because he is also at work. Just because he is meeting somebody , re position, of importance does not change that. Zelensky has been at his current work , 24/7/and approaching 365 since late feb this year. How he sleeps or where he gets the time I do not know?

when all of this is over I expect him to be back wearing a suit - like he did before this whole thing started.

SO DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

It’s of interest that it was his garb that first jumped out for comment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's another attempt at a weird angle of criticism towards Zelensky. That desperation to plough some kind of Emperor's New Clothes when it comes to Ukraine.

Oh his generals hate him (no source)

Oh look at him not wearing a suit (Irrelevant and off topic).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Adversarial's mouth must be puckered from chewing on all those sour grapes!

Maybe someday Russia will be lucky enough to have a leader who is fit to tie Zelensky's laces, but looking at all the evil ghouls gathered around Putin waiting in the wings, probably not any time soon unfortunately for the whole world. They are like the Skeksis out of Dark Crystal...

What he's wearing in the US doesn't matter of course, but anyway I think the khakis/military look has almost kind of become part of his expected public persona now (maybe more for his own public rather than us outside of Ukraine?). He's likely keeping it while this war lasts + will drop it when its over and he can go back to being a more "normal" leader.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Zelensky will never be a 'normal' leader. He has achieved too much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Tucker Carlson , Fox News is some piece of s—t. I very,very seldom use such language and only in very, very extreme situations such as this one . If the guy was even half balanced I would be expecting him to be making ongoing comments on RUSSIA/ Putin also. Maybe he does but I am not aware of them. I recon he is either paid well ‘ by someone’ to carry on with his diatribe or he has a condition or two such as psychopody where it does not matter what he says as long as it achieves his objectives irrespective of the damage it might cause..

whats disturbing is the fact that he is still employed by FOX NEWS so what he says must have the concurrence of the owners/station editorial and ARE CLOSIT RUSSIANS.

Carlson has plenty to cover PUTIN on and he can take either side on all issues. Eg

• how he dresses on all occasions
    • his platform, platform, platform, platform shoes to augment his small stature
    • his height as against Zalenskys broad shoulders which Carlson has an issue with
    • putins aledged doubles or is it triples
    • Putins rent-a-crowd
    • using males from the poorer parts of Russia to fight on front line
    • Putins wealth
    • His palace in Sorchi
    • all the people falling down the stairs
    • poisoning people he does not like overseas
    • etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

as Nixon once said “ I know it’s not true but let’s see him denying it”

This whole war is an EXTREMELY MATTER and to have this TURD behaving in AMERICA on an American TV station is beyond’s the beyond’s and gives RU media a crumb that they grasp with both hands and grow it to a massive size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Zelensky is the best of two evils, he was a bob a job comedian elected into office as a puppet by power brokers for their own nefarious reasons.

A missile fired by Ukrainian army last month went astray and killed Polish citizens. Zelensky was too arrogant and ignorant (a typical jew) to admit it was a Ukrainian fired missile even when Americans agents on the ground there admitted, after inspecting fragments of the missile, that it was one supplied by them to Ukraine. It speaks volumes about the man - I hope he had the guts to apologized to the Polish leader when he met him yesterday.

The Russian Ukrainian war is a proxy war between Russia and NATO and Ukraine is the theater of war. Putin wants to spread Russia's sphere of influence west and NATO want to expand east with long term plans to have nuclear missiles along Russia's border from Finland to the Black Sea. As the case in all wars both parties will eventually sit down and come to some agreement with Putin withdrawing his troops to pre February 2022 borders on condition that no NATO nuclear missiles are placed in Ukraine. Was NATO's expansionism plans east the real cause of the war ?? - that's for future historians to figure out.

Advertisement