Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He's not going to be impressed with the news of Bradley fighting vehicles and Maraders and another patriot system being dispatched from the US and Germans respectively,

Must mean the whole we don't want to escalate the situation with russia had well and truly gone out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I read that, France also this week so they are getting some serious firepower.

I do wonder how much more weaponry can give though, these countries must have seriously ramped up production to replace what they’ve given I’d imagine.. or hope at least

France are giving some Amx 10s think a very mobile 6x6 armoured vehicle with a 105mm tank gun as it's main armourment.

The Bradleys are sitting in storage waiting to be replaced American may have several thousand of them in working condition the same with the German Maraders not as many as the Bradleys but an infantry vehicle coming to the end of it's usefulness it's being replaced by the puma IFV which recently came on line ,

So there not getting anything that's needs to be built or produced from scratch they already exist and are pretty much stored from previous wars .

Ammunition production has been increased by some countries, recently Ukraine itself started to produce it's own artillery shells and mortars which has already started to be fielded

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Norway also flew in 10k rounds of munitions as well.

id ask how much longer can Russia hold out but I’m guessing still quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Latest estimate from McGregor is 150,000 Ukrainian's dead. I think the February peace deal, 'no to NATO and back to February 24 status' would have been the better option as Mrs Higgins seemed to suggest in her letter.

https://youtu.be/gT6cDWh4G0g

McGregor says Ukraine military very tough but not able to win.

I thought the war was at an impasse but not sure after listening to above.

The evil abominable war rolls on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No it wouldn't. That would not have lead to peace. Putin wants Ukraine out of NATO so he can dominate it. It would have just delayed Russia's attempt to bring Ukraine back into its orbit by force. And under Russian occupation we have seen what happens to Ukrainians the Russians perceive as opposed to their regime.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Western armor,and new weapons systems will give the Ukrainans a bigger edge, meanwhile the Ukrainans are gearing up for a large spring offensive across the whole front lines ,

And yet people seem to think they can't win, they are winning and will keep winning until the Russians leave or all die in the fields of Ukraine,

How difficult is that to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

Very simple equation. If Ukraine loses to Russia, then its death for Ukraine, and Ukrainian's. We all saw what happened to the civilian population's in cities, towns and villages captured by the Ruzzian's. Ukrainians have one choice and one choice only, drive every last Russian out of its territory, or die trying. Proposing so called "peace talks" and "agreement's" ( IE: allow Ruzzia to keep territory that they have illegally annexed ) using the "to save lives" excuse is complete and utter rubbish. The only lasting deal and guaranteed safety for Ukrainian lives, ( and European ) will come when Russia's capabilities to wage war on its neighbour's is eliminated 100%, Slava Ukraini.

A bit difficult to understand when Russia is still occupying a large part of Ukraine, the Ukranian's face a larger army not hampered by electrical power outages and there are huge casualties on the Ukrainian side.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's that simple. We've been partitioned for over 100 hundred years in Ireland in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

It is that simple, the Irish-English situation bears absolutely no comparison to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The English wanted to rule Ireland to rob it of its resource's, same as they did in any country's they went into world wide. Putin wants to wipe Ukraine and Ukrainians off the face of the earth as well as their language and culture, the same as if they never existed. It's official Russian policy as they have often stated. But as the famous Chechen leader Dzhokher Dudayev said " The rise of Ukraine will spell the end of the Russian Empire".

Not huge amount, Ukrainians have retaken 42+% of territory occupied by the orcs ,

And that's going to increase again over the next few weeks,

Huge casualties according to who exactly,

We know the Russians have lost over 100,000 men not including injured and predictions they will loose another 70,000 over the next few months .

They have power Generators including floating powerstations and yet the Ukrainans are still winning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We know the Russians have lost over 100,000 men not including injured

No we don't. Nobody knows that except maybe the Russians - and even then I wouldn't count on their ability to actually track and record all that info. Or whether they'd care enough to bother.

Only one side is seeing their equipment situation consistently improve and receiving proper training for their new recruits.

Russia forces have been deeply incompetent and ineffective outside of an initial push in the south. Why anyone would expect that to change at this stage is beyond me.

Seen todays News at all , electric generation infrastructure being repaired and replaced , here's a gift for us here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

President Zelensky has made another address to the nation, this time for their Christmas Eve. He does these really well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

Serious discussion only please. Douglas McGregor and Scott Ritter are not serious sources of information!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Can I ask You to define ‘ Russia is still occupying a large part of Ukraine’? I don’t know how much they actually are occupying, but from the TV ( various news channels) only the eastern side of Ukraine is still occupied by them - which is still far too much.

SLAVA UKRAINI

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Before the invasion, 7% (Crimea, Donetsk etc.), currently 17.4% (Russia peaked at 22% as most) as per this article.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but does that qualify as ‘a large part of Ukraine’? Large is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

It is nearly a fifth of the country.

That would be a large amount imo.

Nearly a fifth is nearly a fifth too much though.

So much for putin’s ceasefire. Bloke cannot even honour his own word. Cannot be trusted.

SLAVA UKRAYINI

@johnnyskeleton

Apologies I sometimes forget it's not CA .

Standards will be improved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

On the MacGregor video...hadn't heard of him, or the interviewer before.

Didn't watch it all but interviewers' eyes bugged out of his head a bit when he claimed Ukraine has suffered 450k military casualties 150k military deaths since Feb. last year. That is I think a lot more than worst claims made for what Russia has suffered, which seems surprising to me given we know Russia was the one who invaded here (yes, they did!), and their invasion pretty much failed and was halted or driven back in places.

He said Ukrainian officials were telling very big lies about the war's progress on the level of "Baghdad Bob"/Comical Ali during Iraq invasion, Russia has now almost destroyed all of Ukraine's military, they are reduced to poorly trained and very young recruits. Russia are just waiting for the right time to launch a big attack (implying resistance has been wiped out). That doesn't seem to tally with what has been going on last few months either.

I cannot be bothered listening to all 30 min, but I was wondering did he ever provide much support for all of the statements?

Oherwise we'd have to take it on faith and accept the argument from authority of US Trumpy/MAGA ex edit: general colonel. Like alot of them he seems to be very sympathetic to Putin's/Russia's view of the world and this war. He called the current Ukrainian government a "regime" during bit I listened to. When I read the wikipedia page about him it mentions a past appearance on RT to discuss Russian annexation of Crimea, appearing on Fox News to support Russia etc.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

I had never heard of this McGregor before now. I opened the Wikipedia page on him. He’s anything but a ‘Saint’ to say the least & has been accused of making racist remarks and controversial comments on russia. And the good oul DT appointed him to committees which also (quote) proved controversial.

Enough said imho.

SLAVA UKRAYINI

Edit

Glory man united

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

Not much counterpoint out there to the new narrative that the second most corrupt country in Europe is now a beacon of democracy

No one is claiming that.

But ridiculous strawmen is all that some people are capable of.

• Advertisement

@mcsean2163 So on one side is the leader of the second most corrupt nation in Europe (Zelensky) telling us that the most corrupt country in Europe (Russia) bombed Poland.

Second most corrupt country sounds like that claim is made up ?

Ukraine has banned their own orthodox church?

Who made theses claims and can you provide varifed evidence not putinbots , racists or tucker ,Mearsheimer

Post edited by Gatling on

Advertisement