Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Does spousal abuse start because the abused party didn't do something right, or answered back?

There certainly is a prehistory to the invasion, but no-one will agree that the start of the invasion was something the Ukraine did. The start of the invasion was Putin giving the order to cross into a sovereign country and use military force against them.

People could argue that the cause of the invasion of Poland by Germany in WWII was the treaty of Versailles, but it would be silly to suggest it would be anything else but Hitler's orders.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Admin and checks probably make it better for them to turn down a few rather than having to house and rehouse people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Same boat here.

Saw that register on all the media sites over the weekend but none included an actual link to it and the red cross website only had one for Syria.

We could probably manage three months but would be more comfortable with shorter stays, even on a rolling basis

And if you dig a little deeper on that website it’s more like 1 year to 18 months is the real ask.

Given the devastation to buildings and infrastructure in Ukraine, even if the war ended soon, it’s likely the refugees may not wish or be able to return for some time - it’s an ask that won’t suit many I’m afraid - we’ll likely have to plan mass accommodations such as portacabins and reclaim deserted offices etc and make temporary accommodation in the first 3 months as I’d say people will find it tough to keep accommodating someone long term

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Of course people weren't going to take complete strangers into their homes for months on end. The initial goodwill sentiment has already begun to wear off.

The government have committed to taking up to 100,000 refugees and it looks like they have no plan whatsoever on how to deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There are still plenty of derelict hotels around but the government would want to be getting a move on with CPOs and remedial work now. Can't wait till the lads are here.

A few weeks, maybe 3 months yes- but longer is a much bigger commitment- I guess this is what war is all about and we haven’t been exposed to the half of it here in Ireland-a lot of learning and sacrifice ahead for us all

I think Irish people are more concerned about the price of petrol and diesel at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You don't condone Putin's invasion but you try to explain it away. You're neither one thing or another. A waste of time really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lots of people have a spare room but wouldn’t be in a position to commit long term . I have a spare room but have to children abroad who come and stay occasionally . I would be willing to ask them not to come for a month or two but not for 12 months

I really think they will have to re think this and ask people to take people in in an emergency situation to get them out of the cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He isn't going to allow his people be driven in to oppression and savagery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

But it's fine when other people do it? But not me?

"Oh he's just trying to get himself into the history books", "He has cancer", "Covid isolation has messed with his head" blah blah

Feel free to put my on ignore, because I'll be doing that with the usual suspects who keep being obtuse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are a lot of holiday homes that could be pressed into service for this. I think those who have them could certainly provide the Ukrainian refugees with their use for a short term - possibly until June would not inconvenience them that much.

Ya that's a great idea. The refugees are gonna be coming for a good while yet so even if people just gave up the homes after the summer it would help.

This isn't going to happen.

People don't do stuff for free.

Except all the volunteers all over the country. Maybe no one will do it but there is no harm in the idea being put out there.

Issue being it would never be just until June.

And then how can you kick out a refugee?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nobody knows how long this is going to go on but at least I suppose that would give the state breathing space to come up with longer-term solutions. Although God knows how a covid-ravaged economy is going to pay for it all...

Complete respect for anyone who takes in a family for a year. They are normally the people that don't say anything on social media and just get on with it.

However, I can't see many people taking in severely traumatised people (with relatives at home adding to their trauma) who aren't vaccinated (we know how nuts Irish people were about that) into their homes for free for months and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You've popped up in this thread in the past few days and all of your posts seem to be on the theme of bashing the Irish government:

• They're not planning for the refugees properly
    • You thought they were sending politicans over there and were complaining about that
    • They're not in touch with what people are really concerned about

All of these may have been legitimate gripes in isolation but when you put them together it just looks like you're someone with an axe to grind and this Ukraine Crisis is as good an opportunity as any.

• Advertisement

Yes people write different things up on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Just speaking for myself, my issue is that you're implying that Ukraine is to blame for the invasion because they didn't roll over for Putin and allow him unfettered access to their country to influence people and policies or even go as far as installing a puppet regime. I don't break into my neighbours house and beat him up because I don't like the furniture. That doesn't make me right, it makes me crazy.

You can make the point that Putin took exception to the political direction the Ukraine took, but that DOESN'T give him the right to invade.

Ukraine is an independent country with the right to self-determination. It is not their fault Putin has invaded them and I don't care for any of Putin's excuses, none of them make it right. And they are not genuine reasons, they are weak-ass excuses. It's pure abuse and gaslighting on Putin's part.

I don't dispute your grasp on the facts, but I fundamentally disagree with your conclusions. The invasion is wrong no matter how you slice it.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

I haven't said Ukraine is to blame. You and others are trying to make out that I am anti Ukraine and Pro Russia. You constantly twist my words and comments and make out your own conclusion of what I support rather than listen to the direct words I say.

Putin is a dictactor who has fcuked up Ukraine, killed innocent civilians, invaded a sovereign nation and is rightly Russias economy is getting screwed right now. I fully support the wests sanction, although I find them hypocritical when they also support Qatar, Saudi Arabia for example.

You think because make a statement on how I believe things are or will be, that you view that as supporting those scenarios.

In 2019, Mesut Ozil, now former Arsenal player, made a statement about Uighers in China. Arsenal disciplined him and said as a football club, Arsenal doesn't get involved in politics. Yet they're all over Ukraine. Does that mean I don't support Ukraine? How about this journo? Is he a Putin bot too?

Ukrainian refugees welcomed with open arms into Ireland, given medical cards, PPS numbers, visas etc. Yet brown people escaping from war are shoved into DP. An example of a tweet supporting this view with hundreds of likes. Am I a Putinbot because I called out the double standards? Or maybe you could just shout "whataboutery" at me?

Am I a Putinbot if I don't support criminal damage of truck drivers smashing down gates that will just lead to increased security at the cost of the taxpayer and repair charges too?

I saw Bellingcat tweeting out last night that the Ukrainians had killed another Russian general. BBC are reporting it now as well:

A senior Russian military commander has been killed in a battle on the edge of the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, Ukraine's defence ministry says.

Maj-Gen Vitaly Gerasimov, 41st Army chief of staff, died along with other Russian officers, the report says.

Russia has not commented, but if confirmed he would be their second officer of this rank to be killed.

link

Seems like a big scalp. Generals wouldn't normally be anywhere near the front lines but apparently the Russians have been using them to rally the troops.

To put this into context only 1 American general was killed in Iraq or Afghanistan and he was killed in the base by a soldier of the allied Afghan army.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

It is probable that the Ukraine are specifically targeting Officers. Which makes sense. They are the ones issuing the orders, in line with Putin. The average conscript then (temporarily) leaderless in the field. Yes there would be a chain of command, and other lower ranking officers to take command. But the further down the chain you go, the less sure you could be of 'commitment to the cause' - plenty of precedents

Also we only really hear about high ranking Flag Officers - how many captains, Majors and Colonels do you suppose have been KIA, or taken out of action

Slava Ukraini -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

I've read as well that in the Russian army a huge amount of information is centralised and simply does not flow down to the lower levels. Apparently this has always been the way and is not just a feature of this conflict. When a high ranking officer like this is killed they can often take a large chunk of operation and tactical knowledge with them. One of their subordinates can not just slot into the role and take over without large gaps in information and knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

True. Not a good sign for the Russians to lose two in a short time. I read somewhere that the Ukrainians have a squad of crack snipers for such purposes.

The Russian Ambassador wants the state to pay for the damage caused by the lunatic who crashed his lorry into the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement

As far as I read elsewhere, the host country pays for maintenance which if correct will mean we pay for the damage.

Advertisement