Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tell him we will pay for it if they pay to fix all the damaged gates in Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Riley calling it #gategate. All a big joke to him.

Why doesn't the lunatic who did it pay for it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The refugees coming from Ukraine are given full 'refugee' status equivalent to EU citizenship for a period of three years under an EU directive, and we, as an EU member state, will do as requested. We have done the same or similar for Syrian refugees that have been granted refugee status, but in their case it was not easy because of the difficulties that arose in that particular circumstance.

The Ukrainian situation is the worst movement of refugees in Europe since WW II, and requires a massive response from all of Europe. We should not be found wanting. The EU was founded on the principle of keeping war out of Europe and their response to this crisis should be seen in this light.

Ireland of the 1,000 welcomes has to become Ireland of the 100,000 welcomes.

Most of the refugees arriving and passing through the direct provision system are self selecting, and are difficult to determine the genuineness of their circumstances as many are economic migrants. I am not judging them, but it is a completely different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Pay for the gate - Yes , perhaps indirectly via penalties against the driver

Prosecute the driver for Criminal Damage etc. - Yes

Official Apology from the Government - Not a chance in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Could have sworn the other country paid for the the maintenance and upkeep of the different properties. That was the old story on why the US got Deerfield, the place was in a state and if they got it the government could push the cost on them

Criminal damage is different in anycase.

That won't happen but has anything like this happened anywhere else?

It's rather embarrassing particularly as this lunatic fought against Syrian refugees settling here.

The State has to protect the premises and not make this story about us.

• Russia proposes nationalising foreign-owned factories that shut operations
    • A senior member of Russia's ruling party has proposed nationalising foreign-owned factories that shut down operations in the country over what the Kremlin calls a 'special military operation' in Ukraine.
    • Several foreign companies including Toyota, Nike and Ikea have announced temporary shutdowns of stores and factories in Russia.
    • In a statement published on the United Russia website, the secretary of the ruling party's general council Andrei Turchak said that shutting operations was a "war" against the citizens of Russia.
    • The statement mentioned Finnish privately-owned food companies Fazer, Valio and Paulig as the latest to announce closures in Russia.
    • "United Russia proposes nationalising production plants of the companies that announce their exit and the closure of production in Russia during the special operation in Ukraine," Mr Turchak said.
    • "This is an extreme measure, but we will not tolerate being stabbed in the back, and we will protect our people. This is a real war, not against Russia as a whole, but against our citizens," he said.

This could be why Coke and McD's haven't shut operations yet.

Russians can't exactly complain about someone driving a truck on to their land uninvited. Fk em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Coke and McD just like money. That is a largely empty threat or potentially done for a show. Taking over that many places at once and trying to reestablish supply lines with people who don't want to supply them is an impossible task that would take decades. If even.

Well McDonalds is a franchise so could see that just continuing if they got the other to close down. They'd lose accesses to McDonalds supplies but I'm not sure that'd be a loss as they pay a lot for that. Well McDonalds is a franchise so could see that just continuing if they got the other to close down. They'd lose accesses to McDonalds supplies but I'm not sure that'd be a loss as they pay a lot for that.

Whatever about the likes of low skilled work, the likes of BMW is a big deal. Factories specced out by them and employees trained and qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

• "United Russia proposes nationalising production plants of the companies that announce their exit and the closure of production in Russia during the special operation in Ukraine," Mr Turchak said.
    • "This is an extreme measure, but we will not tolerate being stabbed in the back, and we will protect our people. This is a real war, not against Russia as a whole, but against our citizens," <from the above>

@Pussyhands i would not put it past them. But it should be noted there would be ABSOLUTELY no going back from this. It would signal to Multinational companies globally: Russia can no longer be considered to be acting with any Trade Legitimacy what so ever. Even if the conflict ended it (wont speculate on this i am not trying to argue with you - we have some differing interpretations on events so) - it would be a complete end to Russian Commerce

It is possible. But where the Russians have threatened and Sabre Rattled about 'economic war possibly turning into a shooting war' - the above would be unheard of - a dramatic escalation - not Since Cuba in the 50s/Early60s

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

McDonalds are more of a real estate company nowadays. Their portfolio is huge. Not sure what their portfolio size is in Russia though.

Yeah it's a big thing if they did. Obviously supply lines might prove tricky but there'd be a lot of Russians without work now who would happily go back to work under Russian ownership.

Nationalising the country didn't exactly go too well the last time for Russia.

I think the Russians could do it but only if they see that they have no choice but to do it. I think, like the nuke threat, there's more steps they'll take before that. It'd be a last resort.

I don't think they'd follow through with the nuke threat anyways.

I think, like the nuke threat, there's more steps they'll take before that. It'd be a last resort - Complete agreement here from me (for what its worth)

Yea i suspect its a threat. To try and slow down the drastic steps being taken by some companies (Shell for example, i suspect the Kremlin didnt expect that)

If it happens, my opinion would be that it. Cold War 2 imho. Its identical to what knocked Cuba out of alignment with the west. I cannot even speculate what happens at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I never said you were a Putin Bot, but that I disagree with some of your conclusions.

Quote from you:

Zelensky really seems intent on not having any Russian say or influence in Ukraine at all.

This invasion started when he put Viktor Medvedchuk on house arrest, froze his assets and removed his TV channels. Medveckchuk is chairman of the biggest opposition party in Ukraine and are pro Russian.

This was not when the invasion startet. The invasion startet when Putin gave the order to invade Ukraine.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Taking over the factories etc. is largely meaningless.

All they'd get would be buildings really.

You'd assume that the companies would take any software/applications with them so even if for example they got the production line for BMW or Toyota they would be highly unlikely to be able to actually build a fully functioning vehicle even if they could get the raw materials to begin with.

I also saw something about Russia removing/weakening Piracy/Copyright laws to allow people to continue to access/use software/products that are currently not available.

As others have said , there's no coming back from this for Russia in it's current form.

Why it might have change obviously since, but McD opened their Russia operations during the the soviet era so might have been different for the property ownership.

For the rest, I'm seeing ships of aluminium heading from china which usually isn't exporting it due to the price disparity. So what comes from Russia already, what comes from China, what from India, and what from the rest.

If they wanted to rather than state ownership they could make it part state and part employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The US are set to ban imports of Russian Oil - Biden to announce it later day.

The Biden administration is poised to impose a ban on U.S. imports of Russian energy as soon as Tuesday without the participation of its European allies, according to people familiar with the matter. 

The ban will include Russian oil, liquefied natural gas and coal, according to two people, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The decision was made in consultation with European allies, who rely more heavily than the U.S. on Russian energy, another person said. 

Russian oil made up about 3% of all the crude shipments that arrived in the U.S. last year, U.S. Energy Information Administration data show. Overall, imports of Russian oil and petroleum products represented about 8% of the U.S. total. U.S. imports of Russian crude in 2022 have dropped to the slowest annual pace since 2017, according to the intelligence firm Kpler.

Obviously they have far less exposure to this than most European countries but with "gas" prices already near record highs in the USA this will likely only exacerbate that problem so still not an easy decision.

source

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nor did de-nationalising either. In fact, it was the de-nationalising of Russian assets that brought us to the situation we see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭amandstu

Should some form of a Marshall Plan be put on the table for such time as Russia backs down from it current position?

The parallels with Germany seem quite apparent and those not too directly affected should have no lingering wish to see the Russisn populace punished needlessly.

I think that is possible only in a POST PUTIN Russia - this may be what you mean? i would not say there will be anyone lining up to assist PUTIN's Russia, in recovering from this. Certainly the 'sanctions/economic boycotts' could be lessened, and would be. But i think that would be the extent of it, until Vladimir Putin is no longer in charge

There would be no appetite to do so. And yes the Russian people are suffering. But the wests primary financial supports will be directed to the Ukraine - rightly, imho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

I think its very important to not isolate them entirely and create an ideal breeding ground for an even more damaging Putin 2.0 et al down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

what sort of logic is that?

All legitimate gripes just don’t say them together.

Let’s be honest. A lot of people are desperately in need of urgent help. The Irish government have said they will help 100,000 plus of them but have so far not outlined how this might be achieved.

Its the same as asking every farmer to plant crops. It might sound like a great idea to anyone with no idea about farming in Ireland but for anyone with any experience of farming it is clearly a desperate attempt to be seen to be doing something.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes,post Putin and his cabal.

To be honest Russia could also be dealing with crippling war reparations so how everything factors in I can't say.

Even (hopefully) the oil economies will go down the tube if we want to avoid an even worse climate disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

But should we pander to despots that are the head of an undemocratic regime, murder dissidents and invade other countries because they fancy it?

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The absolute irony of the Russian Ambassador whinging about a broken gate while is country rolls tanks into another country , attacks cities and shoots civilians

If it wasn’t so desperately sad it would be laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

Well I don't think so anyway. I think however if this does peter out crippling sanctions/reparations may not necessarily be the way to go. It didnt go well after WW1....

I'm clearly (At least I think its clear) not saying we should condone Putins actions and cosy up to him while he invades another country etc, my comment was in the context of what happens after...............completely impoverishing a country and cutting it off aint too bright long term imo.

Advertisement