Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Its a game. Sadly, this is a game. And as much as the burst of adrenaline that some of us got watching the incident (freely admit, i shouted GO ON!!!!!) - It was a mistake

Up to now we had every right to

• Request the presence of the Russian Ambassador at Government Buildings, repeatedly
    • Express our 'extreme dissatisfaction with the actions of the Russian Federation' (diplomatic speech for express unreserved outrage and anger)-

Now, thanks to that incident

• He gets to equivocate on 'Ireland breaching International Norms RE protection of Diplomats and Embassies'

Like i said, a mistake. Hearts in the right places but, a mistake.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You think we can no longer express our extreme dissatisfaction at the Russians cause a fella crashed into a gate.

Would you go away out of it.

There is one big difference to WWI and that is that the Germans were absolutely right to be pssed about the total symbolic and also economic burden lumped on them after WWI. That war didn't have good or bad guys the way WWII or this war did. The Germans were no more to blame than the rest but they just happened to lose. Not sure the Russians will blame NATO/EU the same way and will hopefully blame their own.

Doesn't excuse what the Germans done next of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You'll give a toss when we've got another Afghanistan evacuation with Ireland stuck begging other countries to help get people out of Russia or Ukraine.

• Advertisement

And the little gate incident changes all that. Seriously people are blowing this out of all proportion.

Ffs we burned down embassies in the past and people got over it.

With all due respect. Please (RE) READ my post.

I did NOT say we can no longer express justified outrage to the Russian Ambassador

i DID mention that he now gets to THROW this instance back at us. Prior to this he could have NO REAL MATERIAL complaint to throw back at us.

We GAVE him one.

Don't put words in my mouth. I know everyone's heart is in the right place, but please READ the post before you reply - i have included it here FYI

No offense intended

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

All of which, both Irish and Russian, equates to "Old man shouts at cloud".

Well look diplomatic back and forth between the West and Russia, has been insane for the past week. The nonsense getting thrown at the west is outrageous, and wont be forgotten quickly.

As to it being meaningless (if that is your inference) i dont know.

Legally everything that is said to an ambassador (be it official statements from the Host Government, or a general atmosphere within said host) has to be relayed to ones home Government.

So, look. I dont know. it is all official though. And the Russian Foreign Ministry will have been receiving nothing but hostility for 2 odd weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Considering what these refugees have gone through from ALL perspectives - especially psychological and long term effects- I think we should be able to manage being a little bit of we being discomposed . Maybe share the ‘pain’ a little bit. . On an international scale we are fairly well off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Yea. , we like doing our bit but we draw the line when we feel that there is a bit of ‘ inconvenience’ coming on ??????? A bit of the NIMBY syndrome bUT I want to HELP!!!!

Look . I would gladly help and do what is needed but spme people are hard pressed to keep their heads above water . Its all very fine taking someone in for a few weeks or a few months . But asking to commit to s year or more is a huge ask . We have no idea how we would feel in a year or what our circumstances are

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As of this morning 4000 people had signed up with the Red Cross to offer accommodation in Ireland.

It was only 180 on Friday so that's a massive increase.

Don't know what the breakdown is in that between offers of single rooms or entire properties etc. though.

I read what you said. You said "up until now" which implies that after this the situation has changed. We could now we can't.

We didn't give him one. It was some lad with a truck not the Irish government or a representative of the people. I'm sure it's not even close to being a real issue.

They are just asking and if you can't that's fine. People are acting like the government are forcing this on people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

Isn't it typical that a bully and a murderer is so quick to make a huge issue out of a trivial insult.

I know the driver was wrong and it should not have happened, but the hysterical reaction form the Russians is pathetic. Driver should be dealt with according to the law, and the embassy gated should be repaired as legally required. Show them that we are not lawless bullies and gangsters, like they are.

I was answering a poster who was less than kind and mentioning NIMBY ism

I fully understand that no one is forcing this .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭corkie

"I would like to remind you of the words the United Kingdom have already heard which are important again," he said, before paraphrasing Churchill. "We will not give up, and we will not lose, we will fight until the end, in the sea and in the air, we will continue fighting for our land whatever the cost.

"We will fight in the forests, in the fields, on the shores, in the streets."

Zelenskyy makes powerful statement to British MPs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Why would the nationalisation of production plants of companies who exit Russia be the complete end of Russian commerce?

It is probably a breach of contract for these companies to exit in the first place.

Also it’s not as if countries, of which there are many, who have nationalised elements of production have seen their commerce completely end.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't think the difference in justification matters as much as the consequences of imposing something like reparations on the Russian people potentially impoverishing them and creating ideal conditions for the rise of extremism of one form or another etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I think you might be surprised. I signed up for it today. Bought a house in November, planning for the future so bigger than we currently need so have a spare room. Mortgage is expensive, rooms need decorating, heating oil is through the roof, other costs of living like food, petrol etc going up so going to have to tighten the belt for the next while if this does go through.

The way I look at it though is that when I'm old and on my deathbed, I'll be able to look back and say that at least I did something meaningful, something more than the equivalent of 'thoughts and prayers'.

Why would the nationalisation of production plants of companies who exit Russia be the complete end of Russian commerce?

I probably should have qualified by stating 'International commerce' - but i stand by it.

If Russia 'Nationalizes' (read, Steals, 'Takes ownership of') multinational property and companies in Russia - Simply because said companies have decided (freely and legally) to withdraw from the Russian Market - do you think a western multinational will EVER do business in Russia again?? What would be the point?

• Company invests in property and logistics in Russia - spends money developing their business
    • Russia causes international incident - public outcry
    • Company decides to leave Russia
    • Russia says - 'Il allow you to leave. but you must leave your stuff behind- thats ours now?' That is in effect what they are threatening

No one will ever feel confident again RE trading in Russia - external trade yes but investment IN RUSSIA - would be finished - even THREATENING such action, is so irresponsible. Its shocking

ALL IMHO of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Did you see they're going to try get him to give a speech in front of the houses of the Oireachtas. Pure cringe...The Irish saw what happened in the UK and they want their own media moment of standing applauding Zelensky before he gives a speech. The Irish sure do love making everything about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bit like an Irish judge handing out driving ban to someone who's got caught for driving without a license. For this and for the debt default, they're already losing these companies and no longer have access to most financing they're already suffering the consequence if they do take this action. The sanctions aren't going anywhere anytime soon and If they did it's likely that that Russia is no longer Putin's Russia so it's a completely different situation.

Cringe? I will consider it an honor as an Irishman to have him speak - We glorify freedom fighters in this country (too much IMHO at times)

Here is a living freedom fighter - in his capital - under siege - an honor

@Pussyhands

I think you are acting in bad faith BTW - while some of your posts make salient points (and i have said so) - the tone you use is deliberately obtuse. And some of the posts are deliberately inflammatory. The Above is an example. You were banned from the other thread. But seem to be dancing on a pinhead to avoid the same here. You want to remain and post, and 'speak your mind as is your right!!' Never the less, your opinion is abhorrent to me.

You clearly do enjoy receiving scorn. so I shall deny you that pleasure - i wont respond to you again.

'Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools do.'

IMHO

History tells us that where money is to be made companies will be queuing up to invest, despite previous bad experiences of other companies or even themselves.

Many countries have nationalised industries following wars, revolutions and continued to receive foreign direct investment.

Yeah like when Russia was cut off from foreign investment and a coalition of western countries sent troops to support the White Russians. They simply never recovered from that.

Oh hang on. Actually in a generation they were a superpower, leading the space race.

I would agree but nature of what we are discussing - the state declaring the right to simply take ownership, of someone elses property. I agree capitalists like money. For that reason alone, why would they Invest money in a state, that retains the right to rob them?

I think its more BS threats TBH - but we will just have to wait and see i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭pavb2

I just watched the Netflix documentary ‘Winter on Fire, Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom,’ detailing the events in Ukraine 2014 leading to the president leaving. Brutal stuff but gives you an idea of the character of the people.

Advertisement