Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

They are not "one and the same in reality". Although they share common ethnicity and the distinction between them at the time of the Bosnian war was more blurred, they are now two very distinct entities. There is very little interest of appetite in Serbia to integrate Republika Srpska. They have big enough problems of their own without willingly inheriting all the unsolvable baggage that would come with Republika Srpska. Most people with knowledge of the region have little trouble differentiating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Putin as we are lead to believe had a brush with death earlier this year, a cancer diagnosis - so this is all about his legacy, he doesn't want to leave the world without leaving his mark, he wants to go down as one of the great Russian leaders like the czars of yesteryear 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What is it with Russian leaders and genocide,

I thought it was interesting earlier listening to lavrov and him claiming they haven't invaded Ukraine and in the same sentence "We are not planning to attack other countries"

Other countries suggest it's not just ukraine they are planning to visit,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Fair play for condemning deliberate American targeting of hospitals .

I completely agree with you. No matter who does it it is unacceptable to bomb hospitals.

Yes, the thread about the death of the Isis guys children where the response of one poster to the deaths of the children was

”Meh it's a win-win situation however you look at it, another ISIS rat wiped off the face of the earth and 10 other potential headhackers in waiting taken out as well. I won't lose any sleep over it.”

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I have to laugh at people's suggestion that for a peace settlement, Ukraine will have to concede Crimea and the eastern regions, permanently.

If anything, by his invasion, Putin has assured the ultimate reunification of Ukraine including Crimea, as well as the loss of influential control of South Ossetia and Transnistria.

Unless the global community puts Russia up against the metaphorical wall for this unbelievable insanity, it will leave the door open for every other jumped up pound shop Hitler to start invading their own neighbours with impunity.

What Putin has done, is ended Russia as a global power of any sort, for at least 50 years. He just could not accept that the World could exist, much less carry on relatively unscathed without Russia as a mover and shaker. And he was so wrong.

Lavrov said earlier, Russia must never rely on Western corporations again. This concedes that until last week, they did rely on them and their economy has now been hollowed out like a pumpkin.

Worse that that, they have shown themselves up to be weak, chaotic and irrelevant.

It really couldn't be going worse for Russia than planned, and that pressure must be kept up at every turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Forgive me for perhaps sounding grisly but everytime I see a dead body in Ukraine that "corpse" is just lying there with a nice puffer jacket on. I've seen bodies in Baghdad and Damascus and they look like road kill. Blood everywhere. I just don't see it in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You'll find many examples online. Usually lying next to destroyed Russian armor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Bad faith all around from Russia - but i am now worried. Their usual ramblings aside, bringing it to UNSC, could certainly be a pretext/prelude

• They appear tomorrow and bloviate for an hour on 'Clear present danger' of chemical weapons in Ukraine
    • Undoubtedly ignored by all UNSC members, and an abstention from China
    • They invent a fictitious propagate a scenario where the release of Bio Weapons in the Ukraine could be accidental, or that they reserve the right to retaliate

Bringing it to the UNSC is an escalation of their propaganda screen - clearly meant to distort the narrative

appalling stuff

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

Did he really say that? Not so much his foot in it as his knob in the door.

• Advertisement

I understand exactly what crime and accusations mean, thanks.

I also know whataboutery when I see it.

whether a war crime was committed somewhere else, by someone else has no bearing on this one. There are international laws and they have been broken.

So you are no longer arguing that trials can find that no crime has been committed. Good.

Do you know the difference between hypocrisy and whataboutery?

A previous poster labelling other posters as Russia supporters because they haven’t called the attack on the hospital a war crime. Neither has Joe Biden so logically he must be a Putin supporter too. See how ridiculous it gets?

If there are international laws then it doesn’t matter if they are broken in Ukraine or Afghanistan. Deliberately targeting and attacking a hospital is a war crime. But international law has zero credibility if the president of the country who bombs one hospital is labelled a war criminal while the president of the country who bombs another hospital is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

Trials do not find that no crime have been committed. Trials find accused persons guilty or not guilty. That's the point of a trial.

And again, it doesn't matter where a war crime takes place or who committed it. So why deny a war crime in one conflict, just because they have occured in other countries?

The thread is about the conflict in Ukraine, therefore war crimes occuring anywhere else are immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Rather off topic, but it coud be pointed out that Rittenhouse would probably have been found guilty of manslaughter at least, if not murder, in any other country except the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I suspect that that particular poster was not asking in good faith given their history of posting nothing but pro-Kremlin propaganda but yes - they will find plenty of gore on Telegram.

I think one of the reasons that they want to push this line so badly is that they can throw the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" fiasco from 2003 in the American's faces whenever they call them out on this nonsense.

I think this would be a relatively fair compromise.

However, I don't see Putin going for it (unless his position is extremely weak). Initially he talked about NATO quite a lot but in his later rants it became quite clear that he doesn't even see Ukraine as an independent country. He wants to control it directly or indirectly. Any compromise that allows Kiev to be independent of him (and especially where they are free to join the EU - which you didn't mention above) would not be to his liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Zelenskyy gone and his own pawns back in like the pre 2014 set up I would say is the minimum Putin will settle for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Putin could claim that Ukraine is under Russian control now and leave claiming victory. Is it in any way under Russian control, absolutely not but it is no more far fetched than anything else the Russians have come out with.

I don't get the random points of Putin wanting to be able to say something. He can say whatever he likes given he already is.

However backing out now will be seen as a loss by the international community which he knows. The Russian military has shown to have numbers but to be pretty vulnerable and they don't have an infinite amount of men. He is also aware everyone will expect him back in a few years for a bit more Ukrainian land unless there are some cast iron reasons he can't so that deal of keeping Donbas isn't quite as easy for him. Sanctions would likely stay and he doesn't have much bargaining power now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Putin has never viewed Ukraine as a "real" country. He has always held the view that it was at best a Russian Provinciate.

• Advertisement

Not guilty because self defence is not a crime, therefore no crime has been committed

How can an attack on a hospital be immaterial to the attack on another hospital?

The previous poster was demanding I refer to the attack as a war crime while President Joe Biden, who is privy to more information on what is going on than some random boards posters has not done so.

Is Biden a Putin apologist?

It is also material that the present US president was Vice President when his government deliberately targeted and bombed a hospital. Could this be why he hasn’t called the Russian attack a war crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

i wouldnt be surprised if the have cardboard diagrams and a photo slide of 'chemical containers' - with stars and striped plastered on the sides

its all bad faith of course -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Why did the Ukraine army noy wipe out the Russian convoy 40 km long that was held up on the way into Kjiv .It seemed like a sitting duck but is now on the move fanning out around Kjiv to surroud it and put the city under seige

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

not sure if this info has been posted already,.. from Lithuania President....

Gitanas Nausėda

@GitanasNauseda

A historic night at Versailles. After five hours of heated discussions EU leaders said yes to Ukrainian euro integration. The process started. Now it is up to us and Ukrainians to accomplish it fast. Heroic Ukrainian nation deserves to know that they are welcome in EU.

2:06 am · 11 Mar 2022·Twitter Web App

Vlad will be boiling at this !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

Easier said than done. Although the Russians don't have outright air superiority I would imagine that convoy had plenty of air cover.

Many of the Ukranian's 'wins' so far appear to have been ambush-type attacks against small groups of Russians.

Going after all of this convoy across open terrain with limited cover was likely to result in unacceptable losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed - I read an article from a former A10 pilot in response to the calls for a squadron of A10's (which I myself talked about) to be given to Ukraine for that purpose.

They stated that it would not be at all easy as the Russians had lots of mobile Anti-Aircraft batteries and Radar systems embedded with the convoy which would make bombing/strafing an extremely hazardous task.

If it was a US/NATO attack , they'd be sending down a barrage of cruise missiles (or similar) to take out the air-cover first then sending the A10's to mop up.

Ukraine don't really have access to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Two wrongs do not make a right . If that was not the case then we can continue to do ‘ wrongs’ as we see fit and no progress is made to better society

I see news that Putin sacked 8 generals due the performance so far. Hardly surprising if true. He's also apparently raging with the FSB for not telling him that things were going to pan out like this.

Edit: Ukraine now claiming to have killed a another Russian General. That would be their third by my count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Why would the citizens of Crimea want to be part of Crimea? Are you forgetting that over 90% of the population of Crimea is RUSSIAN. They voted in a referendum to return to Russia. They were part of Russia for over 200 years before the peninsula was ceded to Ukraine by Khruschev in the 1950's without consulting the citizenry. They have been campaigning to return to Russia ever since and more vociferously since 1991 when Ukraine broke away with the dissolution of the USSR. You can say all you want that the referendum was basically a vote at gunpoint but that is pure nonsense. The fact that there is no resistance to the so called illegal Russian occupation of Ukraine bears this out. Everywhere in the world where there has been an occupation against the will of the people there has been resistance to that occupation. Can you explain Crimea's acquiescence?

Since 2014, Kiev has killed 15,000 people in Donetsk with shelling and other forms of collective punishment. Senior citizens have had their pensions cancelled. They have been prevented from speaking their own language. Over 500 children have been killed. Of course this isn't reported on Sky or RTE. So if you want to get a clearer understanding of what is going on you're going to have to seek out the truth yourself because you're not going to get it from your regular news outlets.

Advertisement