Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderate Gaming upgrade

Options
  • 17-02-2022 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi. My son's motherboard went but was probably time for an upgrade anyway. He mainly plays city skylines, minecraft + planet rollercoaster etc.

We have a power unit + GPU but ordering cpu+motherboard+memory+case. I have three questions if anyone can help? Thanks.

1. Is this spec ok? Any improvements for the same price? Maybe oerspec'd for those games but want to future proof it so he can play other games. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Groucho2000/saved/bcskf7
    2. Can anyone recommend a good cooler fo the CPU that would fit in the case? Some I've looked at look massive.
    3. Is it easy to migrate the old windows 10 to the new machine? Will it allow it at all as too much changed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Vb6hqm

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€180.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler (€44.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 DS3H AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€152.85 @ Computeruniverse)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€80.68 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €538.96

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-18 15:31 CET+0100

Go 12th-gen Intel, not 11th. No need to faff about with overclocking.

Also no need to go for super-expensive RAM - 3600MHz-CL16 in Gear 1 will do you fine.

This frees up money for a better case & cooler, with enough for another SSD if you want.

Alternatively, upgrade to an entry-level Z690 motherboard like MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 or Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4 if you feel he'll get an i7/i9 in the future.

Regarding Windows 10 license, it's attached to your Microsoft account so you only need to remember your email & password.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Groucho2000

Thanks K.O.Kiki. Much appreciated. Your suggestions look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

You overspec'ed the RAM: 3200's are fine for your CPU. But I must ask, why are you buying last year's mid range CPU? The B660 is a chipset for an office computer, not a gamer's chipset. The H670 is better, preferably the Z690. Have you considered an AMD machine?

Advertisement