Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

I forgot about the video interview stage too. So probably will be:

1. Online assessments (aptitude tests and job simulation- these are Likert Scale questions asking what you would do in certain hypothetical scenarios. There's no studying for these afaik as they never release the correct answers.)

2. Video interview- 3 competencies with 3 mins for each recording yourself on video

3. Interview- hopefully in person this time. Note this is the first time any body will look at your application form

4. Presentation/analysis exercise- you are given a case study and 90 mins to read and prepare a presentation. Then you have 15 mins to present your analysis and answer questions I think. Again, no studying for this one as it seems very subjective to the panel of assessors.

Pre-covid I think stage 3 and 4 were on the same day in PAS offices in Dublin but last year they were two separate stages with the interview first and shortlisting again before the presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 May Day

Well thank you so much. That is extremely helpful. Much appreciated. The very best of luck to is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluegreenred

Thanks. Last time the process took just over three months but that included Christmas. We should get notified of our first stage next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dotski_w_

Thanks for that APparently, like others I didn't realize you couldn't go back to the booklet after closing date.

Do you recall also what the position was re the PO1 competition? iirc at some point they take the top applicants and give them an interview for PO1, but I can't recall if it's after the online tests or later.

Appreciate if anyone can advise.

I was told anecdotally that there are lots of po vacancies to be filled, so hopefully I'll get a po interview if the top people are put through for po1! I don't know if that is true but just putting it out there xx

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if they use the maths questions as those for ap? They may change them of course but I am hopeless at maths.. bearly passed ap ones . I have a few books I can study from from 5 years ago. Otherwise will have to rethink it. I'll not pass the maths!

There is some maths is in there alright (was before anyway). TBH if you find maths very hard, there's a lot of PO jobs you might not enjoy I think, understanding data is a big part of a lot of jobs on the managerial side and also in terms of policy, I'd have used fairly rich data analysis to justify policy reforms, standard of maths required for AP + PO exams a good bit lower IMO.

Thanks. I don't find it too much of a handicap in my current role but I hear you on that. There is always a 'numbers person' about to fact check my interpretation of things.

There are so many rumours about pas grading that I am just assuming they are all weighted equally.

I heard only situational judgment is used in grading. Then I heard job simulation only.. That they are all are weighted equally...then all but maths! Then I heard that pas have a pool of test questions which they reconfigure for each round. I just thought it best not to worry about what I cant know or control re the testing stage and assume nothing.

I sort of hoped the po and ap maths questions were similar as I have resources to work from and some basic handle on it!

Any tips for study websites or books are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

I think it was clearly indicated in the booklet that a separate PO Higher comp will be run later in the year. This is a departure from other PO and AP comps where the first x number on the panel could go forward for the higher competition.

Regarding the maths element @May Day i think the apptitude test is like a series of paragraphs/small case studies and each has 5 or 6 questions. Some of those questions will test your comprehension and some will test your maths/data analysis skills. Then the job simulation will test your judgement.

Will give it my best shot anyway! I was getting diverted by speculation and driving myself nuts! You are all so helpful. Many thanks xx

• Advertisement

Hi, I found a copy of the circular (is on my Depts intranet) and it did say there "may" (I would read that as "would", IMO) be a separate PO1 comp, but also said that it would be limited to existing POs "and to all successful candidates from the first round of interviews of this Open Principal Officer (Standard) competition.. any existing CS at a grade below PO (standard).. who wishes to be eligible for the next PO Higher comp should therefore ensure they compete at this Open PO competition"

So while it's a separate competition, it's linked, in that you'll need to enter this one if below PO now.

Not sure what to take from reference to "first round of interviews", does that confirm they're definitely having 2 rounds? I suppose could be just the one, although them they are recruiting those people as POs anyway if they pass the interview, an so would already be eligible, which doesn't make sense to have as a criterion (unless they think there's AP1s who wouldn't accept PO but would take PO1, which would surprise me....)

FWIW I just looked up timeline from the last one in 2019. Might be different (they should be more used to online element, however they might have a different process, given the options in the notice that's at least possible), but anyway, I looked up for my own curiosity, and might as well share...

Closing date for applications was 3 October, dates of online tests (held 4-6 November) were announced on 23 October, results came out on 25th November.

This comp had a closing date of 10 March, so if it ended up the same timeline (no guarantees ofc), that would be ...

30 March - announce dates of online test-

11-13 April- online tests

May bank holiday- results

Good omen for you, May Day? ;)

Thanks. Yes.. will give it my best shot. Getting through the hoops is the tricky bit. I did it before so will do my best with no expectations. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 78Ned

Does anyone have an idea of how many people apply for the PO competitions on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Boy Cappel

Does anyone know where the best test practice can be found for this competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Think it was in the region of 1200 applied the last time... really not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 28 78Ned

Thanks Tea and Coffee. How many actually get on a panel? Trying to work out % rate of success here!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wolverinex

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058014895/principal-officer-competition-2019

This is the thread from the last PO competition and it might be able to shed some light on numbers placed on panels and/or assigned positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Has anyone saved the booklet by any chance and could share it?

I can't find it on my computer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 zeus

@Moving2017 I sent it by DM

Post edited by zeus on

• Advertisement

Thanks for this, some great nuggets of information here!

Stage 1 materials are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Curranjo

that was quick and doesnt leave much time to prepare. Best of luck everyone

Any tips on critical analysis test prep? Is it like watson Glaser test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

There are weekends where you will work and there is no over time or flexi but you are recomepnsed quite handsomely for it. Depends on what department that you get into. I understand Finances and Foreign Affairs are thankless from HEO up

Anyone know what score is needed to pass the critical analysis and job simulation tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NEWBIEGRL8

Wondering if anyone has used any external provider to prepare for the critical analysis section of this stage of testing ?

It seems very difficult from reading comments from others on the old PO thread.

I'm struggling a bit with the familiarisation material but I'm not sure how much help an external provider could give.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Babinda

Hi All,

I'm new on here. Just preparing for the PO tests that have to be done by next Tuesday. I'm reading this thread with interest and it has me even more confused. I did the AP tests last year and it was very straight forward but the PO has me flummoxed 🙈

From what I understand from the booklet there are 2 tests for this.

1. Job simulation - 12 scenarios with 5 options to rate - similar to AP tests
    2. Critical analysis - 30 minutes, verbal reasoning, 30 questions - True/False/cannot say multiple choice

I see a lot of talk about numerical testing - there was a numerical reasoning test on the AP tests last year - but I can see nothing in this competition to suggest there is Maths reasoning. Am I missing something as I see people talking about it in here? I really don't want a shock on Saturday when I get into the test and see a whole load of Maths questions in there 😫😂

Does anyone know what to expect? To me, both of these are management and verbal reasoning tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rightplace2016

Have you tried the examples. You will see critical analysis has graphs and charts with percentage questions. You need to do maths to see if statement is true or false or cannot say. Work out percentage etc.

Advertisement