Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect clearance/VAT charges/Missing IOSS number with An Post/Addresspal ***See First Post***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

Revenue bat it back to An Post as their agent, they won't talk to you. The whole setup is a forking disgrace and nothing will be done about it until it affects a TD or angry media type directly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The collection of duties and VAT on items sent through the postal services is operated the exact same way throughout the EU/EEA/CH so it is not going to change TD or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The authorities are not obligated to accept an invoice as proof of valuation, so that is the starting point. Did they accept the exporters valuation or did they place a higher value on the items. Next what did they include in the taxable amount, then did they apply the correct rates and finally what admin and handling charges did they add. You’ll need to understand this in order to know if they are right or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

Perhaps the company you bought it from has said the value is more than what u paid for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Moving2017

On the a Post website when you go to pay the fee it will give you a breakdown of what you’re being charged.

Such as:

Import Duty = €x

Excise Duty = €x

VAT = €x

An Post Fee = €3.50

Total = €x

Adult clothes are subject to the standard VAT rate (23%)

The £ cost will also be converted to € for the purpose of calculating the fee.

an post customer service could also give this to you to check the maths on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Example 4 here might help you calculate if the charges are correct.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/individuals/buying-online-personal/outside-eu.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I'm still trying to figure out where the bargain is in this one :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Duty doesn't take transport etc into account. That only happens calculating VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

€3.50. By far the least charged by any carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

They can also make a decision on value by opening the packages and taking a look.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

my guess is that no delivery fee was actually stated by the sender (they should know that they have to show the costs even if the offer "free" delivery)

Therefore An Post have to use a standard delivery rate and airmail from the UK is expensive.

the fault is likely entirely with the sender who can't follow quite basic instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

dph@revenue.ie

I bought stuff from the states 2 years ago and got charged 75 euro duty on a package which cost me $120 but the customs value was 184 eu.

I do think they tend to put the original price value on packages rather than the sale price you got them at which can be frustrating.

I had to email them proof of payment from paypal and receipts for all the goods I bought and eventually got almost half it back (31)

It took 5 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bitent

This is exactly why I never order from UK anymore. There used to be done great bargains to be had. Not anymore sadly.

Loads of bargains still from the UK. Just buy from experienced sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Chalk it down to experience. Avoid ordering from UK unless retailer knows what they’re doing and costs are covered in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bitent

It's either they charge you the import duty themselves or you pay it to revenue. Either way it has eliminated the bargain prices for me.

Depends on what you're buying and much has no import duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It is common knowledge that An Post are absolute scumbags

Source: https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.anpost.ie

They charge whatever they want and there is no negotiating with them. In addition to all the things mentioned above that is included in the "value", they also wrongfully include UK VAT. It even says on the revenue website that VAT should not be included in the value of an item:

• any duty or other tax (excluding VAT) payable

When making this very clear to them through the ecommschargequery email, they just say "No, UK VAT is included in the value"

I'm owed over 500euro and am looking into taking a small claims action against them.

• Advertisement

That's laughable. An Post are only collecting what Revenue tell them is due. The only amount they have any part in setting is the Admin charge of €3.50, which is less than any other courier.

Revenue provide the parameters to follow, An Post are supposed to apply these and take what is owed. An Post are misinformed about the parameters and in addition are horrid to deal with. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you've paid UK VAT on something fom a UK seller then your problem is with the UK seller - they should not have carged UK VAT on an export sale. You need to chase up either the UK seller or HMRC to reclam the UK VAT.

I agree. But my problem is that I returned the item and the UK seller refunded the cost of item+ UK VAT but now I need to get a refund of the Irish VAT through An Post who have no interest in sorting out the problem.

Also, despite it being incorrect that the seller applies UK VAT, An Post should not be including it in their valuation, but they do regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

What a nightmare situation! I would not accept delivery and just let it be returned to the UK but only if you are sure you can get a refund. You will need to read the return policy of the seller whether it covers returned items or items that were not accepted on delivery. One way you could hypothetically try this is to anonymously set up a different email account under another alias. Then email the seller and put the question to them that someone you know was unexpectedly in hospital having priorly ordered an item from the seller but couldn't take delivery due to hospitalization/or whatever and if it would be possible to get a refund.  

Now you see how all of the mainstream political parties here have shafted Irish consumers by their protectionist EU-dictated trade policies even though taxation is supposed to be a national competence! If that was me, I would do two things at the next election (1) I would Vote, and (2) I would in future try and order using a NI address and have it collected/posted on. If Apple can avoid paying €13 Billion Tax here, I don't see why the shortfall should be made up by hitting our own consumers with parcel import taxes. I am glad you highlighted your case here. The more the public sees cases like yours on social media, the more it might bring about change. This has nothing to do with Brexit but more to do with EU protectionist trade policies that impose an external wall of tariffs on parcel imports to try an punish Britain for voting democratically to leave the European Union in the hope that other Countries won't follow them out of the EU.   

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Has anyone ever heard back from an post about the mental charges? I got one email back, told to pay ludicrous charges and no more..I have sent over 30 emails to various an post email addresses over the past few months, all ignored, no package and it didn't go back to the sender.

FYI I got car mats from the UK for £25 and they sent me a VAT bill of £205. Hence why I didn't pay. But Im extremely annoyed that they stole my item from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Were these items on sale when you bought them?

They calculate VAT on the full retail value not the sale price. I've gotten stung by this before. If they opened your package and saw tops with a label showing full retail price that is what they'd use to assess the amount of VAT and duty(if it came to over 150) due.

I ordered a really nice Stanley trolley back in October. Amazon said it was held in customs as they need more info. Rang up customs and they said that they assigned the wrong code to it hence the delay. Still no sign of it after nearly 8 weeks.

I guarantee you someone took a fancy to it and helped themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Sounds about right. The email I got from an post said my item was NIKE trainers, I emailed them back to say open the package, it's car mats...

Someone is definitely pulling a stroke.

• Advertisement

Most likely incorrect product code on the import documents.

Advertisement