Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor electrical socket

Options
  • 18-02-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I want to install an outdoor double socket for occasional use with the mower, power tools, patio heater, etc. rather than having the extension cord trailing out of the window. My intention was to have an RCD plug into an existing internal switched socket & from that run 2.5mm Arctic cable in a conduit through the external wall. The cable will exit high (2.3m) in the wall and run approx. 3 or 4m along an external block built wall before terminating at an IP66 rated 13A 2-Gang weatherproof outdoor switched socket. The cable run and socket are under the cover of a polycarbonate roof, so 'external' but not fully exposed to the elements. I plan to run the external portion of the cable through IP66 rated flexi conduit fixed near the top of the external block wall to further protect from UV & water.

The cable will be unplugged from the internal socket via the RCD plug when not in use, so what I'm looking for is essentially a 'fixed' extension cable for occasional use. Is there a requirement for an REC to carry out or to sign off on this kind of work? Any thoughts or comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Are the sockets already RCD protected ?

There's no need to cascade 30ma rcds

• Registered Users Posts: 19 redvee

The sockets have rcd at main box, I've always used an RCD plug outside when using mower, etc.

AFAIK minor works allows you to add a socket

The problem with minor works here is that you're adding an outside socket and polarity and fault loop impedance should realistically be checked to ascertain safety

It's probably not the worst in that scenario

Main RCD could be stuck or whatever , all being well there's no need and not recommended on the fixed wiring

Just habit on my part, but maybe not a bad thing, belt and braces in case of failure.

• Advertisement

Sorry Kirk, just so I understand you 100% you wouldn't recommend using an RCD plug here - just plug straight into the socket.

I should probably run my cables and get someone to sign off?

I would get a rec

He will check the RCD at main board and polarity and fault loop at outlet

Everything else is just a lottery really

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

I wouldnt bother with a plug in RCD either. Even if there was no RCD at all, the risk is low enough anyway, although if there was none installed, a plug in one would be useful.

Thanks for your input, I'll not bother then.

Shock risk probably a lot lower these days with 2-wire tools and appliances ,RCD less likely to come into play

Press the test button and make sure the RCD knocks off the socket you're connecting to

Never used them but one of those cheap plug in testers is probably better than nothing for checking your work when doing DIY

• Advertisement

I've not used these plugs either - I would check socket with multimeter. This looks like a quick way of identifying problems, I see there are more advanced versions available (at a price) that do a basic RCD & loop test.

Ya the kewtech will do for basic indication of polarity, low fault loop impedance and RCD trip

They make high end test equipment so should be decent although I've never used them myself

Thanks for all your recommendation Kirk, I've ordered the Kewtech Loopcheck 107 - £40 on Amazon. It looks like a handy piece of kit to have for identifying faults. I'll be checking all the house sockets & especially extension cables now as they get a lot of wear & tear.

I read the spec this morning, it says it tests RCD at 30mA ,ie the rated trip current

If I recall it said <1.8 ohm shows up as a good fault loop reading

You'll probably get higher than 1.8 on some leads because of the additional resistance, will probably light up as ' needs investigation' or worse

Advertisement