Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ksyrium Elite (2018) Front Hub Service.

Options
  • 18-02-2022 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭

There is scraping sound from front hub of my Mavic Ksyrium Elites (2018)

Figure I just need to clean them out and they should be grand. Looked up a video on youtube (link below) and it all looks really easy. The problem is when I go to remove the end cap with the mavic wrench it won't loosen or screw off. 5mm allen key in one side, turn the mavic wrench like on the video and soon enough I just meet resistance and it seems like it tightens. Try unscrewing the other way and same thing. How do I get that end cap off? A 5mm allen key only fits in one side. It should just come off like on the video below but it's requiring way too much force to loosen it.

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Front Wheel Bearing Change - YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Assuming you’ve removed the outer cap by hand first as per video...

If the wheels are used regularly in the wet, or haven’t been serviced before, the hub can be more difficult to open.

With the wheel standing upright (clamped between your knees maybe), position the Mavic wrench, then the Allen key (insert the short end into the hub so you have max leverage) and turn the Allen key, not the Mavic wrench..

If the hub is noisy, I’m guessing you’ll need new bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Cheers. Ya, hasn't been serviced before. Broke the 'teeth' on the mavic tool after that. I have another one anyway. Bearings seem very smooth still and no play but maybe a little grit just got in yesterday. I'll give it another try later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

If it's feeling stuck or tight, a short sharp push on the Mavic spanner might help to free it up, rather than sustained slow pushing.

I'd normally suggest taking up the slack and giving the end of the spanner a tap, but if both the spanner and pins are plastic (per the video), maybe not the best choice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks @cletus and @nicksnikita

Got the dust cap off and axle out but I'm none the wiser as to what the scraping noise is😀

Bearings are absolute perfect which is amazing really considering the weather these wheels have been out in over the last 3 years. I'll put it back together sure and see if the scraping goes away

Advertisement