Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos broken TV

Options
  • 18-02-2022 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

My mother bought a Hisense TV in argos (June 2020 & still has the receipt) and was working perfectly until yesterday. She was watching TV and these vertical lines appeared.

Anyway I rang Argos support and called into the store where she bought it. Got the same response from both. As it's over the 12 months since she bought it, they said I need to contact the manufacturer (Hisense).

Rightly or wrongly I mentioned that as it's within 6 years of purchase I shouldn't have to contact the manufacturer and I should only have to deal with argos. Their response was that as it's over a year since purchase, I'll have to get an independent review to prove that the fault was in the tv since she bought it and reiterated that I contact the manufacturer.

She's an elderly woman and the tv hasn't been moved since she bought it, so it was nothing she did to break it. From a quick Google it seems that some components in the tv have just failed.

Im wondering what I should do next? Should I contact the manufacturer or go further with argos? Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would suggest that they know full well what consumers are entitled to but have a policy of trying to fob people off to deal with the manufacturer. I would write them an email outlining the case and if there is no response I would go to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Two issues here.

Make sure anybody you contact on the matter knows that you are acting on behalf of your Mother, she bought the TV, you have no right of complaint in the matter.

Secondly write formally to Argos on behalf of your Mother by Registered Post asking them to replace the TV, you have no redress to the manufacturer, the contract is with Argos, if no satisfaction then apply to the Small Claims Court as suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Two issues with this.

Firstly, Argos can replace, repair or refund, there is no entitlement to replacement.

Secondly, if a fault appears within 6 months of purchase, it is deemed to have been there when it was bought, after six months, it is indeed up to the consumer to prove a fault exists. So Argos are correct in this.

Having said that, a year is a short period during which to have a fault, the op’s contract is with Argos, but I would check to see what the manufacturers warranty is, sometimes it is quicker and cheaper to deal with the manufacturer rather than paying to have the set assessed by an independent repairer.

Personally, I’m surprised to hear Argos are being less than helpful, I’ve always found them good to deal with when I’ve had issues with electrical items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Why does her age matter? This "elderly" type comment to try and elicit some special treatment doesn't wash with many people.

Doesn't matter whether the person is 21 or 91, the same law applies.

First and foremost you need to find what has caused the lines. Sometimes it's as simple as a cable coming loose, other times it's internal.

Argos can ask you to prove it was a fault of manufacture.

It can be a lot easier and way way quicker to go to the manufacturer and they may not ask for you to prove the fault was there.

But "writing formally and insisting on a replacement" as one person suggested will not get a response. Neither will a SCC claim as you would have to prove the fault was a manufacturer fault and Argos have said that already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Just an update on this. I got in contact with the manufacturer and I sent them pictures of the issue at their request.

They sent me an uplift number along with the following message. This number is issued when your TV cannot be repaired. Please take this number with you when you return to your retailer. Your retailer will complete the rest of the warranty process with you.

I called back into Argos with this information and spoke to a member of staff. They said that I would need to call back in on Friday when the manager is working but that they might refund a percentage of the tv value or as they don't have the same model in stock they might replace it with a TV of similar value.

Before I go back in on Friday I'm just wondering can they only give a partial refund of the tv? Also if they can't offer the same model TV as a replacement do we have to accept another TV of similar value? It's just that similar valued TVs might not be as good as the TV we initially purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But the one originally bought doesn't seem to have been that good if it broke so soon, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

A partial refund takes in to consideration that you have had 20 months of use of the TV before it became faulty. Therefore an 18 month old TV does not have the same value as when it was originally purchased.

Models change all the time so it would be very unusual for the same TV to be available to replace it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

yes, a partial refund would be the max you would get from scc too. Prices have also gone down.

I would be happy with 70%/75% refund. I'd be aiming for 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

TBH this is an ideal outcome without having to go to the SCC. Not many retailers will do this

• Advertisement
Advertisement