Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for first time car insurance so have few questions (with further to follow no doubt)

• 19-02-2022 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Right so, picking out cars on done deal and applying those and my information to quote sites like chill insurance (got to start somewhere)

First thing's first.

Like I've been advised, I'm going low engine, less doors and picking a car that's not too old. That's the easy part

Have no budget set for car price or insurance as one things impacts the other.

For example I've just put in a standard 131 Volkswagen Groove at market price €8000 (real price) , then i put the same car in at my own value of €9000 suddenly the premium is down by 500 quid.

Yeah I know I'm paying more for the car, but that's not really the point. Say there's a different car out there at that price that ticks more boxes it might be worth paying that extra grand for

Trust me I know I'm going to pay on both items (car and insurance) but if theres's variations to that degree I'd like to know what other stuff I'd need to be looking out for

Not going to be a big user of the car either it should be noted but I don't plan to change cars as I'd like to get the most out of my initial purchase especially with the way prices currently are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭clobber

Basically the riskier the car and me together the higher the premium??

I'm not looking at old bangers or anything as I already know most if not all the insurance companies aint even going to entertain them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why don't you consider Boxymo. They will be the cheapest and if you don't do much driving you don't have to worry about exceeding the telematics box allowance limit for you're particular policy.

Cheers mate

Will take a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just insure the Groove for €9k and save the €500.

If you over value a car they'll only pay you book value, if you under value a car they'll pay what you insured it for.

Yeah I had a look, you're on the money with them. Cheap indeed. I also put in additional travel which maybe work related (can't ever be sure but that will be the main reason) and it only increases the price by few hundred quid for the extra travel allowance

Regarding these telematics boxes, what are the main considerations in terms of my actual driving that I need to worry about or are there any.

Do they vary from company to company or what's the story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭billyhead

Unless your breaking speed limits consistently you will be fine with the telematics box. It just monitors you're driving to ensure you obey the limits and you're not driving dangerously.

Nice one.

Yeah just finished a season of lessons and a test so speed limits and all that are well drilled in and I will be pretty cautious in first year of driving so not a great deal to worry about

You're a legend. This outfit seem the business realtively speaking, quite surprised if I'm being honest. All seems good to me once if no nasty surprises.

This will allow a bit more freedom then on the choice of the car

Advertisement