Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist for arresting cavities through nutrition

• 19-02-2022 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have some cavities and I am wondering if anyone knows of a dentist like the Canadian lady, Dr Judene Benoit, who works with patients using primarily nutrition to arrest cavities in the enamel? I know there are risks involved and even if the result is positive, it is not aesthetic, but I feel it could be the right solution for me. Are there any dentists who are doing this in Ireland or the UK? If so, please let me know who.

Answers

You can read up on what Dr Benoit advises patients, it is not ground breaking. It has been known for decades that early stage caries/demineralised enamel can be arrested with diet and hygiene, we also use fluoride treatments to aid remineralisation. But if your caries has developed to the point where you have holes in your teeth, it is important to understand that dentine/enamel will not regrow to close the cavity, her advice only applies to early stage, pre cavitation demineralised teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Meribe123

Thanks for your reply, Dav010. I completely that tooth cannot regrow any more than arms or eyes, and often after the cavity is remineralised, a filling is still needed to close the gap. Dentists I have seen have said that remineralisation is only suitable for very early stage (I think the word is incipient) cavities, or said that it is too difficult for patients to adhere to. Despite this, I would like to try it. Are there any dentists here or in the UK with a special interest in this? Has anybody ever had a dentist who did this? How can I find their practice? I also feel a lot of dentists are too busy to spend ages talking to a patient about diverse calcium sources when they have other patients with a chipped tooth needing to be seen.

Advertisement