Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

66 knots at Mace Head. Getting wild!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

That’s what I thought until about 5 mins ago!

The place is shaking! (N Dub)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

Gusts picking up quite a bit in North Clare. Orange was warranted for sure, it's the prolonged nature of it that will be more damaging. Add to the already saturated ground conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gerry on the farming forecast did mention this storm would be a lot longer lasting than Eunice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yeah if you're in the Orkneys, or Donegal.

Not Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperatures dropping fairly sharpish from the northwest.

Knock:

Claremorris:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Power just went in south mayo

Way way wilder than last Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

just been out to rescue the old westnet wireless internet receiver , pole snapped (rusted through )

its freezing out there now , between the showers

(foxford)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Heavy sleet showers and nasty squalls now,west mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Those squalls are packing a punch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

124 km/h gust at Mace Head. 3pm.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Just walked down to mother and the wind is ferocious. Its only 200 metres down the road but I was nearly knocked off my feet twice in the gusts. And this is only the start of it. I'd say the NW could see their worst storm tonight all winter. Sea is getting wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

That squall line that left Ireland had got seriously active over the UK as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Unreal squalls in Galway especially during showers

Gusting 88.5kmh at my station in Arklow

10min average 47kmh WNW

As I commented above, this is far nastier than Eunice here in Bantry Bay. The whole house is shaking when we get regular huge gusts.

Fastnet Lighthouse twitter at 15.32: Avg Wind:62kts (115kph), Gust:79kts (146 kph), Wind Dir:328 °(NW), 15:32:00

I'm a big fan of Met Eireann, but this worse than yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Much worse in this neck of the woods than the last 2 named storms.

Co. Leitrim.

Temp has dropped like a stone.

Gust of 101.4kmh just now in Arklow Westerly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Upgraded warnings are probably required as the gradient is predicted to increase considerably overnight and even so, widespread gusts in the 100-120 km/hr range now. For example on the GFS the gradient from 00z to 03z is almost 50% stronger across parts of the northwest. Perhaps that linear extrapolation can be partly cancelled out by time of day and momentum transfer behind the squall line feature that developed with the cold front. However, I would say possible red alert conditions incoming for parts of Donegal and Connacht and more widespread orange level alert conditions than currently operational.

Will be upgrading my own forecast shortly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It has calmed down somewhat here in Meath since the rain cleared and we are avoiding all the showers. Lots of showers to the north and south of me, but I seem to be in a dry lane stretching from Meath to Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Was hoping we wouldn't be heading for upgraded warnings. It's fairly wild already here in Mayo so going into red would be scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm Franklin vs Storm Eunice for wind gusts and mean wind speeds as of 1600. Franklin is definitely windier on a national scale than Eunice was. Mace Head had red sustained winds the past hour with 83 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Midnight before the strongest winds come so by morning that chart will favour Franklin even more, donegal is definitely a red warning.

Galway high tide is 19.50, Lahinch 20.30, both near the 5m mark, so both may well see some over topping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh wow didn't know this was here just went into trending and here I am, I'm preparing for this storm, my estate is flooded can't leave unless in welly boots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hit 96km during a vicious shower in Galway City Rescue 115 unable to land at UHG due wind and landed at the football pitches in the Claddagh was on a tasking from Aran Islands great life saving work.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

I am surprised that they haven't upgraded the Marine warning at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Maybe more like an emphatic orange than red but touching on red in a few exposed locations, anyway, wind direction will veer slightly from current, like 270-280 to 300-310 deg. That may change local results too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'm more exposed from the SW but still 4 miles from the coast and 55m ASL.

Last few gusts really packed a punch there, not looking forward to the night.

Thanks for all the updates MT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Showers are packing a punch, gust of 98km/h recently at Waterford Airport.

Advertisement