Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Drove from Killybegs to Athlone today. it was very bad around 3-4pm in South Donegal, north leitrim and Sligo. Some unreal squalls of rain and sleet and driving conditions were tough with the car getting knocked around. Very heavy sleet in Roscommon town around 5pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very big convective squally showers about, sferics showing in places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its like the kind of weather we used to get years ago...even each shower is like a mini storm...dangerous though as can go from just very windy one minute to stormy when the showers come along

I'm not convinced they use purely wind speed criteria to call a red. I suspect they take into account time of day and the effect on people cummuting, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Heavy wet snow shower here. Tara, Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes Dublin will be in an orange warning soon just watch

Front of my estate is under water

Won't let me upload it so annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think it's fairly clear that once we remove schools from the hype equation, the warnings issued go back down a couple of notches. Had Franklin occurred instead of Eunice I think the country would have been told to go and hide under the bed.

68 knots (126 kph) gust also at Sligo airport just before 6 pm.

SPECI EISG 201748Z AUTO 27038G68KT 3000 FEW009 BKN019 OVC036 03/01 Q0994=

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Showers will be of sleet and snow for the next few hours but dying out after midnight and the snow level rising again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Lights flickering mad here Kanturk Cork 300ft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Went for a walk this afternoon. It was blowing a gale in North kerry.

Had a heavy shower of sleet later on.

Trees down in the area and will already wet land, more will fall.

139kmh gust at Mace Head at 1900!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Mace head gust 139kmh

Finner 120kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Cork Airport recorded recent snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,568 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Gusting to 139 km/hr (75 knots) at Mace Head. That's well into red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

In south Connemara here and well used to storms for over 40 of my years but this system seems to be packing much more of a punch than any other did for quite a while. The gusts accompanying the last squally shower of hail that came by about 10 min ago were actually making me a bit nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

This always seems to happen when it comes to the northwest or North of the country. This storm has turned out worse than Eunice

I think that's the highest gust since Storm Ellen in 2020, perhaps our resident spreadsheet guru could advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It is indeed! 143 km/h at Roches Point during Ellen in August 2020.

87 km/h sustained too at Mace Head, not quite as high as Roches Point's 93 km/h during Eunice yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was very rough in North Inishowen in the last few hours, with some very heavy hail showers. Think its to get rougher during the night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

This is what you call a proper storm. Non stop strong winds with intense gusts when the showers roll in. It is bitter cold in that wind. Its got the making of a very bad night. Hatches are battened. Mother went to my sisters for the night as power could go. I'm hunkered down with torch candles and gas stove on the ready. Roaring turf fire, heating on, and the dog and two cats in their baskets in the hallway. And a fresh Battenberg cake ready for cutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

100km/hr at Newport, it's calmed down a bit in the last 30 mins. Temporally I suspect.

I seen malin Head has strong winds of 80mph gusts between 00:00 and 06:00, wow recent gusts around the country are already red territory and the worst is yet to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,568 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Also a gust to 131 km/hr at Finnis which is a new reporting site (new to the website anyway) near Aran Islands. The M4 buoy never seems to catch the full strength of winds in its vicinity but has increased to gusts to 98 km/hr from 76 previous hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

The cross of the Church of the Ascension Gurranabraher Cork City tilting to one side as a result of storm Franklin. Emergency services are at the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its a lot rougher in North Donegal today than it was when the kids got a day off school on Friday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I said to someone on Friday that the next system to hit the North West will be worst than Eunice. This has happened countless times over the years. Its a pity the snow will be gone by midnight. Some very heavy and squally snow showers over the last couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I'm on the coast near Ballyshannon. And Not too far from Finner. Sea has been ferocious all day. One of those days where the tide never gets a chance to go out, you tear through turf with the mad draw on the fire and you can't hear the telly with the noise of the wind. Certainly the worst weather of the winter here.

Glad it's a Sunday. Hopefully will have subsided when we all rise in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Shank Williams

Now this is a storm - went for a walk in south Donegal round a headland path near finner at 4pm proper wind with horizontal hail- was able to do the full lean into the gust and not fall over job

slates coming off roofs in the estate too and we are only coming in to the warning period

Advertisement