Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion offer - reluctant to do it

Options
  • 20-02-2022 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I work in a company and I’ve been asked to take over a managerial role from someone else who failed at it. I’ve been asked twice now so I can’t really keep saying no. They offered me more money etc but money isn’t the issue. I guess I don’t have the confidence for presentations and advising people that this role entails. My boss did say don’t worry if I fail, as I’ve told him my experience and I was reluctant to do it so if I fail, it won’t affect me in the company etc. So he wants to me to do it until he finds someone else, could be 2 to 3 months. Ya it’s good experience and it’s like an extra €12k but I’m still feeling I’m out of my depth!!! I have to do the job…. Can someone give me managerial tips as I’m not really the leading type but my boss keeps saying im well able for it, I just need more confidence!!!

Comments

Will they hire a bullsh!tter if you don't take the role and then you end up doing all your Manager's nasty work anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't for one second believe that failure will have no effect, the real world doesn't work that way.

If I was in your position and didn't want to take the role, then I would tell the boss that you will help out as much as you can for the 2/3 months but that you don't formally want to have the title.

That way you can pick and choose, you can do the bits that you are good at but stay away from the presentations etc that you don't like. You are helping the boss out and staying on their good side, but not getting mired in a role you don't want.

Of course this means that in 2/3 months time they need to have found the replacement, I'm not saying you should do the job for free for the medium to long term.

But a few months acting up in a limited fashion and then back to your old job sounds like it would suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

You can lack confidence and still take on the role. You will get used to the presentations and be glad that you took it. It's just a challenge is all. Feel the fear and do it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Augme

If they don't formally want the title then I'd be very surprised if they would get the additionally money. All they'll be doing is more work for no money if they agree to take in some of the tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Does the 12k motivate you? Is it something you want?

• Advertisement

12k isn't 12k if you can't shield it from the taxman. 12k is roughly 6k. 500 per month. if your salary is high enough already you will forego 500 euro per month for a pleasant working life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

OP said it isn't about money.

Regardless, you think they are offering a 12k bump in salary just to hold the fort for a few months? No chance, they want to put the OP in the role full time and there won't be any new hire coming.

They can accept that and do a job that they don't want, which will end up only one way. Or they can work around the situation.

Or they could of course refuse to do anything extra and damage the relationship with their bosses, that is an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Augme

And if they new hire doesn't come then ask for the demotion then and at least you've earned a few extra K for it.

The OP is going to damage the relationship either way. Their boss doesn't want the headache of finding someone new and having to train them in. Agreeing to take on the easy parts of the job for a few months isn't going to stop that needing to happen.

Refusing a promotion in this situation will be a serious black mark against then no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you can't do presentations, you can't do them. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Are you interested in being a manager and following that career path, but just not confident in your abilities? Or do you actually not want to be a manager at all? In the former case, I'd say it'd be a good idea to take on the role; look at it as a challenge and a good way to get some experience and more confidence. If your manager thinks you can do it, that's a very good sign, and I'm sure he'll be willing to guide and support you in the role and help you succeed.

If you have no interest in moving into management at all, then that's a different story, and politely declining the promotion wouldn't be unreasonable. Not everyone wants to (or should) become a manager, and that's perfectly all right. Management is a completely separate career track in most cases, requiring a completely different set of skills and entailing a completely different set of duties and responsibilities. Not all employers see it that way, granted (some are still stuck in the past where moving to management was the only way to move up in your career), but the reasonable ones who know what they're doing won't hold it against a good IC employee for wanting to remain on an IC career track instead of moving to management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

Re presenting, so much of getting over presentation anxiety is having confidence from knowledge of the content and practice. Each one becomes easier and I think most people can become competent in giving internal presentation. At the start, it helped me to script what I was going to say and almost rote learn but over time I moved to working off the slides and a few notes.

Re advising people, do you have decent knowledge of what the team does and how it all fits in for the business and make sound decisions off that? It sounds like there will be support available at the start so you wouldn’t be on an island. You might surprise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭kirving

My company offer both a formal technical career path and also a managerial one.

This allows people who don't necessarily want to follow the managerial role to still have formal career progression (and salary).

Even without that, I think you'd be mad not to take the management role that you're being offered.

Have it recorded though, that you want to receive extra training and support as you transition. Absolutely no harm in looking for help, a well run company will view it as you looking for self development.

Lean on the other managers for support and advice, they'll often be only too happy in most cases to share advice if you play it in a way that you're looking up to them. If there's a good review structure in place, a record of them mentoring you will be looked on very favourably on both of you.

For presentations, make an array of templates if they don't already exist, keep them short and sweet so you can remember. Practice what you're going to say beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Slick666

update - im still there anyways. Going good apparently. Feedback from others is that they are happy with me but I feel I could be alot better. Thats prob my own issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And longer hours too which eats into the per hourly rate of the extra 12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

Disagree. Like most things, It's a skill that can be learned with some effort. The important question is though whether the OP wants to undertake these kinds of tasks or feels like it's worth their effort

I never got the extra money! I didnt push or ask for it again anyways as I felt if I got the extra money, then they might not be so leniant as Im learning etc

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

So you're doing the job for no extra????

ya I didnt push for the extra money. Im contracting anyways so if they extend my contract in 4 month time Il ask for it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

i would suggest taking it. if it doesnt work out, there is no shame in it.

Advice - delegate the presentations - implement subject matter experts reporting to you to take on the tasks.

Generate flash reports - 1 page summaries of the areas performance and issue weekly. Have your SMEs feed into it.

Set up clear lines of comms with your support network and advise on the new standards.

Take on a course in high performance leadership - i cannot recommend the one thru the TU & shannon chamber highly enough. There is professional coaching built into this, and the coach can help steer you in the right direction. Agree this upfront when accepting the "temporary" role.

*usually managerial roles provide a higher rate of bonus...

By refusing this role, you will also stunt your career potential in this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Take the extra money. In 4 months time, ask for more. Ask when the additional 12k will be coming online.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
Advertisement