Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communication between Consultants

• 20-02-2022 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭

I have a long variety of medical conditions, not going to specify what exactly but nit relevant anyway. Over time I moved most of my care to the one hospital because because I thought it would make my care run smoother. But it didn’t take long for me to be proven wrong. There are times where doctors need t talk to each other regarding my care and it’s not happening, they are sending letters to each other in the same hospital which is taking weeks. Also I see one as a private patient and the other public so it has happened that letters went to the wrong secretary

Is there anything I can do here. I realise my case is very medically complex but surely there must be a secure email or some internal messaging portal they can use to discuss me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I too have 2 specific long term illnesses and on the public system entirely, I also have a full medical Card.

I can only speak from my own experience and whilst it can take 10 days or more for correspondence , generally my treatment is seamless. In my case the Two consultants are in two different hospitals in two different counties.

I appear to have a unique patient identifer also and only noticed this on being hospitalised for a seperate issue for 8 days last November (thankfully not serious). All my prescriptions were made available and all my information available to the treating consultant.

I personally don't actually see any correspondence between my 2 consultants, all that goes to my excellent GP but do admit there can be delays in correspondence to my GP from Hospital consultants but not concerning delays.

I'm not sure how to advise you but with a number of disciplines /Specialities involved, perhaps requiring additional opinions this could be a reason for delays or perhaps its a communication issue between private and public practice.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My GP is useless but leaving him soon because I can’t deal with it anymore.

I have an autoimmune condition which I’m in the same medication for different aspects so anytime my meds need to be adjusted it needs the approval of both and I’m waiting 6 weeks of for for that to happen. I have private cover but it doesn’t seem to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Shortage of medical staff. Most doctors work 60-100 hours per week. The issue has to be addressed on Government level and why working in Australia and Canada is more attractive?

Advertisement