Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fair deal scheme

• 20-02-2022 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭

apologies if this is in the wrong section but i'm looking for a bit of advice/information if possible.

my grandmother is in a nursing home at the moment and has been for about 5 months now, as far as i know it was originally on the understanding that she would be staying under the fair deal scheme but now her children appear to be in dispute over this and now there's talk of taking her back home. if this happens obviously the nursing home bill will have to be paid, my father has said one of his sisters was told that the first 10 weeks of her stay in the nursing home would be covered but i cannot find any mention of that anywhere and find it very hard to believe that any nursing home would have those kind of terms and conditions, it's 1,500 euro a week to stay in the nursing home my grandmother is in, they're surely not going to wipe 15,000 euro off the bill for the first 10 weeks of her stay.

i'm thinking she might've been told the family have 10 weeks to get confirmation of acceptance on to the fair deal scheme and she got her wires crossed.

has anyone ever heard of this 10 week thing before and if so could you provide some information on it please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Hi there, my mother is in a nursing home under the Fair Deal scheme. I think what the family are talking about here is the transitional funding provided by the hospital if your grandmother was transferred from there. If a person is hospitalised before moving to a nursing home, there is a transitional fund available which covers the first 10 weeks of care in the nursing home and doesn't have to be paid back. After that, all bills go to the family minus the amount being paid for by Fair Deal. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The transitional funding can be for UP TO ten weeks as I understand it, it’s time that’s given to the families to obtain & submit all the necessary documents for the fair deal scheme, our experience was that as soon as the final piece of financial income confirmation was submitted, the transitional funding stopped, we got about six week of the ten,

Assuming that your grandmother was approved for the fair deal scheme then the majority of her current nursing home costs are currently being covered by the HSE, the balance by your grandmother / family.

Its also my understanding that if now the family decides to care for her at home, that’s fine, it’s up to them but the option of your grandmother returning to nursing home care under the fair deal scheme is still there too, without having to resubmit the application as long as her time at home is less than twelve months. If she leaves the nursing home for more than twelve months, a new application for fair deal / nursing home loan will have to be made

Advertisement