Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutting down desktop when no display available

Options
  • 20-02-2022 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I have a desktop monitor giving me trouble lately, e.g. shutting off, no display, I usually force a shut down but do not like

making a habit of this, also I don't think control-allt-delete, any of these will give an orderly shut down, so any ideas the

correct keyboard shut down sequence I should use in fututure, thanks

Comments

Alt + F4 will display a pop-up with the default option set to "Shut down". Hit enter.

Sometimes the pop-up only appears on the second attempt, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

"shutdown" pop up with Alt+F4 appears only if you on the Desktop - its intended command to close app window(s). It might not work for this purpose if unsaved document(s) are open - "save document" pop up window presented.

Even if you issue Win+D to get to desktop first and then Alt+F4 , unsaved documents will prevent windows shutdown with "this app preventing shutdown" and "cancel" option as default, so you have to Left arrow+Enter again to force. With no display it is hit&miss, unless you go Win+D -> Alt+F4+Enter -> 5~10s waiting -> Left arrow+Enter

You might be better off going Win+R and type shutdown /s /f +Enter for 100% result here.

Do you know what is causing "no display" in first place?

Is it that monitor set to go sleep after xxx time? powercycle monitor and/or disable time-out/sleep on the monitor.

Is it that PC hibernate after inactive xxx time? Change power settings on PC.

Other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

U can install some free VNC software on the PC, and get the app on your phone. If the monitor is acting up, connect to the PC via the mobile app, and shut it down properly.

I have this setup on a PC and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

On Windows 10 you can just hit the Windows key+X followed by U twice. That'll launch the admin menu (Windows key + x), u for shut down or sign out and u again to shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if you hold down the power button for a few seconds windows 10 should shut down after about 30 seconds to 1 minute

• Advertisement
Advertisement