Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What trackers are people using?

Options
  • 20-02-2022 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

... if you are using one... and what's the discount on insurance?

I'm interested in the Sizzapp tracker, it works off the battery and doesn't require a subscription.

Also, what SIM cards are best? One that doesn't require constant topups.

https://www.sizzapp.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

currently Datatool, but look have a look at Monimoto too: https://monimoto.com/eu/shop/

I'm still wondering about fairly anonymous (to me) services having access to my location tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks, looks good. I am trying to avoid subscriptions as they are eating away at life right now, but this one seems low enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am a cheapskate and using an apple airtag. €35 with no subscription but limited in that if your bike goes missing it will only ping location if and when it comes near any iphone.

I'd go that route, but I don't have an Apple Phone... I do have some Tile devices, but I don't think they are widespread enough to be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'm between the Monimoto and Motogadget unit.

The motogadget unit isn't released yet, but can see a brief of the specs on here

https://www.mo-ride.de/app-mit-mo-unit/

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

I've been using the Monimoto for a few months. Working well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You don't need an Apple phone for them to work. There is an Android app for them that was released a few months ago.

The Android app lets you find trackers, but it doesn't let you set them up or manage them... It was developed because Apple are getting stick for their trackers being used to stalk people...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It’s not just stalkers they are also being used to rob cars and bikes. Someone hides one on a bike or car and follows it to where it’s kept.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Anyone who steals a car, bike, motorbike, dog, cat etc will now just scan them after 15 minutes to find if there's an AirTag/Tile attached. Not that hard to find it once you know it's on something. They are still useful if you loose something but for security they are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They were never a good security option. Their purpose was for clumsy and forgetful oafs to be able to recover small items of some value by checking their smart phones. Motor vehicles need better quality options.

If the UK hadn’t brexited they had a company called automatrics that made pretty good quality trackers that used both RF and GSM. But they are now no longer an option due to data sharing between EU and third countries .

Advertisement