Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design for a telescopic cantilever gate

Options
  • 21-02-2022 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to put in a manual driveway gate - no need for automation. Due to space constraints it needs to be a two stage sliding gate. However I don't want a surface mounted guide rail. My initial preference was to get a channel cut for the guide wheel which would also double up as a channel drain. However, I've read they are prone to debris jamming and possibly derailing the guide wheel - although it would be a straightforward installation.

So, what I was wondering was, is it a complex design to have a two stage telescopic sliding gate which is also cantilevered - this would mean no guide would be required. Would two stages mean that there would be a lot of lateral movement in the gates and accurately hitting the latch would be problematic?

How simply could could a cantilever & telescopic gate be implemented? Internet shows systems with lots of cables and hardware, which I'd like to avoid. Is it best to mount second gate on the first or have them independently mounted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 visnor

A telescopic cantilever gate is a type of gate that slides open and closed without the need for a track on the ground. This makes them ideal for use in areas where there is limited space.

To design a telescopic cantilever gate, you will need to consider the following factors:

• The size and weight of the gate. Telescopic cantilever gates can be quite large and heavy, so it is important to make sure that the gate is properly designed and supported.
    • The type of material used to construct the gate. Telescopic cantilever gates are typically made of metal, but other materials such as wood or PVC can also be used.
    • The gate's opening mechanism. Telescopic cantilever gates can be opened and closed manually or automatically.
    • The gate's safety features. Telescopic cantilever gates should have safety features in place to prevent accidents, such as automatic stop sensors and emergency release mechanisms.

Once you have considered all of these factors, you can begin to design your telescopic cantilever gate. It is important to create a detailed design that includes all of the necessary measurements and specifications. This will help to ensure that the gate is built correctly and that it functions properly.

Here are a few additional tips for designing a telescopic cantilever gate:

• Use a strong and durable material. The gate should be able to withstand the elements and heavy use.
    • Make sure the gate is properly supported. The gate should be attached to a sturdy structure, such as a fence or a wall.
    • Choose a gate opening mechanism that is appropriate for your needs. If you need a gate that can be opened and closed quickly and easily, then an automatic gate opening mechanism is a good option.
    • Include safety features in your design. This will help to prevent accidents and injuries.

You can hire a professional gate designer to help you design your telescopic cantilever gate. This is a good option if you are not sure how to design the gate yourself or if you have any special requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

One suggestion is to put a large wheel on the inside, free-end for support. That way you won't need a rail and debris will not be an issue. A children's bicycle wheel might do the trick.

I'm trying to figure out something similar for my entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've abandoned this at the minute as I couldn't get it to work as I wanted.

In reality it would hardly ever be used so I've decided to see if we can live without it first.

If you do get around to getting one installed, throw up some pics it might inspire me!

If you don't put in a rail how are you gong to prevent the gate wandering offline when approaching full extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If the gate is telescoping, then the gate itself is the rail/guide

• Advertisement

Did you ever get around to getting a gate done for your entrance?

Advertisement