Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

Any premises that are still enforcing masks after the mandate ends will quickly lose business.

No

You do know that coronaviruses have been in existence for centuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

No

So, during the first lockdown, when there was no advice to wear masks, you wore a mask the whole time to be sociable responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

Was that the period when the World Health Organisation were pushing the line from the Chinese government that covid was not airborne?

Once that was shown to be wrong and face masks were recognised to be effective in conjunction with other preventive methods such as hand washing and social distancing, the majority of people who were socially responsible rowed in with that to help reduce the rate of spread of Covid. But you know that I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Who hasn’t or had a clue. How that Mike Ryan fella got that gig is beyond me. He couldn’t tie his shoe laces in school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This should be answer of responsible people. While there is a pandemic then wear one, when the pandemic ends or moderates, then do not. The issue is the prevalence of the disease not some sort of ridiculous culture war.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

No

The irony being that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference whether you don't wear one today or next Monday. People have been conditioned to believe and accept everything they are told without question.

The speed that people have returned to normal life with each of the previous lifting of restrictions since the start of the year hopefully bodes well for masks to also quickly disappear to the history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoTelly

No

No the vax is 100% effect don't understand really why we continue to have to wear them, we are at near 85% vaccination. I am vaccinated, won't catch, won't spread. The end.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

No

The vaccine is not 100% effective. You can still contract Covid and you can still transmit it.

• Advertisement

They might lose some minor amount of business, but most people will simply wear the mask if they want entry. Few people are going to be bothered enough to stand their ground over not wanting to wear a mask, and the businesses in question, likely won't care that much over the loss of their custom, as opposed to being able to state that they've got the best intentions of customers at heart.

No

I think this is what will happen. We are only a few days away from them no longer being mandatory and they are everywhere. I was in a coffee shop earlier and all the customers had them on. Later a person in my company asked if I would be ok if they took theirs off.

The law is changing but masks are not going anywhere. If I find myself in a shop being asked to wear one I will leave, certainly won't be making a stand.

No

Many people will forget their masks, and its because of this any business continuing to enforce mask wear will loss business. It's the forgetting of masks that will cause people to quickly stop using them.

anyway the vacs are 95% effective.

______

Yesterday

Many businesses have their own stock of masks which they supply to those without one. The signs won't be taken down.. and will mark the places where people will be required to wear the mask.

Vacs are 95% effective for this strain of the virus.. and even so, there are vulnerable groups out there at greater risk due to a range of underlying conditions. It is for them that these measures are continued. Not for the majority. It's also because there will be other strains of the virus.

As I said earlier, it depends on your circumstances. I'm not bothered by what you do. However I do live with parents who are elderly and are vulnerable, so, I will continue to treat covid with the seriousness it deserves. If I lived alone, and my circle of contacts were all of a similar situation to myself, I'd be more relaxed about it. But I don't have that lifestyle right now.

No

No need for anyone to stand their ground If they insist on masks people will leave and go elsewhere, I know I will do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Completely false.

All vaccines have an efficacy rate. That has been said to be anything from 60% for some editions of Covid Vaccines to 90%+ for the likes of Moderna/Pfizer iirc but that was before variants emerged so it could be even less.

No

I have never seen any business hand out a mask when someone has forgotten theirs.

Anyway vacs are 95% for this strain the latest it makes sense that they will be 95% for others, indeed vunerable people will have been vacs.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 46 XT1200

No

No

Masks act as a placebo and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No

Said it in another thread. Give it a week or two and the ones saying they'll keep wearing their masks will soon ditch them when they realise no one else is wearing them.

Same people who opposed every opening up and any relaxation.

They've been consistently wrong on most things.

Just as easy to claim that give it a week or two and the ones claiming that no one will be wearing their masks will soon realise there will be a lot of people still using them.

Same people seem to be ignoring that people are generally ok with the roll back of restrictions.

People claiming otherwise have been consistently wrong on most things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We also had people that said it would be over by Easter 2020 and others who went on to say that restrictions would never be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Only today I saw the security guard in a large Dunnes hand a box of masks to a lady to help herself to one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Masking. N-95 for omicron. At university masking at all times. It’s the rules. We now have a 99 percent vaccination rate of all students staff and faculty. No student deaths.

There's a couple of places in my hometown that do it, including Dunnes.

As for vacs, there is absolutely zero guarantee that the current one will be effective against other strains of the virus. It makes no sense to make the assumption you just did.. and vulnerable people are vulnerable regardless of the vacs, because the virus compounds the risk due to their existing conditions. This is pretty basic stuff here...

I get that you don't want to wear a mask, and believe that the vacs are great (as do I)... but the virus has not been cured/destroyed. There is still a lot of scope for a mutation to occur that poses real risk to people.

Not going to continue arguing over this, as we're on opposite ends. I'll continue to wear the mask in public.

Which is your choice. Whereas I know other people who will just go with things because it's easier to do so.

To me, wearing the mask is not a big deal. I'd already gotten used to wearing them in Asia, long before covid came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No

Doing it because it's easier to do and because they don't want to go against what they perceive as the herd.

COVID hysteria summed up in one sentence nicely.

As an update, I haven't really been out much but to the local centra, super valu, coffee shop and McDonald's in the last few days and as far as I can tell no one cares if you wear a mask or not. I wasn't wearing one and didn't get funny looks from those that were. Likewise I didn't give funny looks to anyone that wore theirs. It's as simple as that, live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No

Those who wish to continue to wear masks, will they continue to wear filthy masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No

I voted no because its the closest option for me.

I'm somebody who always wore a mask.

I don't use public transport and wouldn't be in overly packed/jammed shops to much. Just your normal busy period.

I think if you want to wear a mask everywhere then you shouldn't be judged for it.

However you shouldn't look down on those who choose not to wear one. Especially if yours is dirty/not worn correctly.

Or if your somebody who spends ages in cafes/pubs/etc unmasked.

I haven't had much of a cold or a flu in years because we got plastered a few times in the early 2010's.

We don't use public transport which might help.

My sister who's a teacher became very carful around coughing kids.

We also improved hand hygiene. Have wipes/hand sanitizer in the cars.

Also, I don't really like buying unwrapped bakery good, etc in shops.

We avoided the bad flus and colds we used get. So masks didn't really make me feel much safer.

I often hear people say my mask made kept me flu/cold free for two years but there was also lockdowns, improved hand hygiene and they also drastically cut back on what they used do.

At work I won't have to wear one but it's a small shop and if somebody comes in wearing one I'll pop one on.

My mother goes to mass and people are still wearing them however they still have signs, etc up about them. She was talking to her friend and they stopped enforcing mask wearing and she said they'd only be one or two wearing them and this would include a lot of venerable people in another parish. A few stopped and others followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

No

Ugh. I have a head cold so may have to change my answer if it's not cleared up soon. I'm looking forward to being completely rid of masks but I'd rather not give anyone this cold either. That said, I did a test this morning just to be 100% sure it's not Covid which I had last month. And it felt absolutely alien. Getting the box of tests out, swabbing, checking the cassette, it felt like something from a life time ago. Something that was once a regular part of life that has since faded. Like when you visit your primary school. So even though I feel like crap from my cold, it was pretty amazing to have that feeling of Covid being something from the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

No

Facecoverings no longer compulsory on Public Transport from 00.01 Monday.

From then,nobody can be forced to wear facecoverings,however the State Operators,with the direction & approval of the National Transport Authority will continue to recommend continued compliance.

Oddly enough,keeping the windows open is further down the list of measures,yet is FAR more effective at combating the spread of Covid type stuff,but slamming the windows shut is usually the first thing a passenger will do upon entering a Bus/Tram or Train.

Most of the State's agency bodies such as the HSE,RSA,NTA,NDLS,NCTS etc,will continue to peddle the long-standing impositions to show their concern for public health,whilst coincidently deflecting focus from the somewhat shambolic situations they currently oversee in their own areas of operation.

Meanwhile,en France......https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/7/21250357/france-masks-public-transport-mandatory-ai-surveillance-camera-software

The software, which has already been deployed elsewhere in the country, began a three-month trial in the central Chatelet-Les Halles station of Paris this week, reports Bloomberg. French startup DatakaLab, which created the program, says the goal is not to identify or punish individuals who don’t wear masks, but to generate anonymous statistical data that will help authorities anticipate future outbreaks of COVID-19.

Not yet,Monsuir...not yet. 😷

Anyway...roll on Monday 😎

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement